• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Radio Shack - Shure Cartridge help

PastorTube

Well-Known Member
I have a Radio Shack phono cart with no stylus. The only labeling on the cart is:

RS
Shure
965

Then on the body of the cart there is a "TK"

I thought I read some time ago that this might be a Shure V-15 type III

Can anyone tell me what this cart really is and what type of stylus I should be looking for (part number wise).
Thanks
 
Register to hide this ad
A photo or two would make identification a cinch.

TK is a date-of-manufacture code. According to Shure's chart, it was made in November 1980.
Shure Date Codes .jpg
It's either got a flat bottom, making it a clone of the M75 family, or a rounded V bottom, which would make it an M95 or M97 (not M97xE) derivative.

Radio Shack didn't sell a Realistic-branded version of the V15 Type III or IV, so we know it isn't that.
 
Pics of Shure cart.

If it can be identified what are people’s thoughts on this cart. Is it worth getting a stylus. I am using a rega Planar 3 with Mayware formula 4. I also have an Elac 10.

On the Rega I am using a denon DL-160
 

Attachments

  • 7BC7EDD0-D65B-492A-8A7C-0D024D246D8C.jpeg
    7BC7EDD0-D65B-492A-8A7C-0D024D246D8C.jpeg
    59.2 KB · Views: 30
  • 19761991-9C7B-442D-87BB-C81FDEC33AEF.jpeg
    19761991-9C7B-442D-87BB-C81FDEC33AEF.jpeg
    66.8 KB · Views: 28
  • F10B867F-8FAB-43EA-8ABE-6D00146A1EF8.jpeg
    F10B867F-8FAB-43EA-8ABE-6D00146A1EF8.jpeg
    67.3 KB · Views: 28
  • 62280100-98CF-4ACF-BA07-2D09937EF182.jpeg
    62280100-98CF-4ACF-BA07-2D09937EF182.jpeg
    86.1 KB · Views: 30
Last edited:
Aha. It's not from Radio Shack. The "RS" (often mistaken for "25") is actually a comically bad font trying to say "PS" for Shure Performance and Sound.

These were for the house-brand or private-label market. The one you have is basically an Era IV M97HE but came with its own unique-looking stylus. Shure called the cartridge SPS-6 (the very useful but not infallible 2004 Shure chart is in error calling it an SPS-5).

It will be hard to find for reasonable money, but here's the SPS-6 (ie, your "965") with the N16 (aka NPS-6) stylus (Pfanstiehl 770-DHX):
7cd21311-2afb-4496-b6c0-351d6da0fc31.jpg 9b257162-1331-4b4f-bfa9-de831d9de909.jpg Pro-9.jpg

Now, is this cartridge in the same league as your Denon? Arguably not, but can the SPS-6 be enjoyable? Can other Shure/generic styli fit it? certainly. Let us know what your aspirations [and budget] are.
 
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom