• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Rank these 3 turntables to help me choose one

GregFox

New Member
It's time to upgrade to a better TT!!
Im looking for a mid priced turntable and am considering these:

Rega P2 or a NAD C555 (same table but slightly looser tolerances)
Music Hall MMF 5.1
Pro-ject RM5

How would you rank these? Im leaning to the Music Hall coz of its bells and whisles but then I know the plain Rega P2 is a solid quality table
 
Register to hide this ad
No experience with any of these but I'd go with the Project RM-5 or Music Hall over the Rega. The stock Rega does not offer adjustable VTA as a standard feature, and to me that is a major negative.
 
One thing I didnt like about the Pro-ject 5 table was that it dosent come with a dust Cover and the one they suggest for it, the Cover-it costs $350 extra. Yikes.
However, this other company makes a fitted soft nylon slip cover, Id wonder if you would have trouble with the tonearm whacking the platter when you pull it on and off. Maybe just covering it with a throw cloth would work as well.

http://www.digitaldeckcovers.com/audiophile-vintage-cart.htm
 
now get a p3, and it's a bit different (a new p324 anyways...).

I have to agree. If you can afford the new p3-24, you've moved a definite step up from the tables named. Consider lightly used off of audiogon and you might be able to swing it.
 
Dag! maybe I do need a P3....

I have the same problem when buying christmas trees. I'll go to the tree lot and start looking at a nice tree and then just a few feet over is a much better tree. But when I get there and start looking at it, I see a much nicer one over here. eventually the cut-your-own-tree guy comes roaring up to find me on a golf cart and says "you cant cut these trees, your in my neighbors property!!" So he takes me back to the front of the tree lot where I started and after several golf cart rides back to the front of the lot have elapsed it's getting pretty dark and hard to see and the Tree lot guy is Grumbling and hovering over me and I grab a lousey lopsided tree at random and stuff it into the back of the General Boureguard and only then see the perfect tree a few feet over on the other side and kick myself for not going straight to it in the first place but he's turned off the lights and locking the chain across the parking lot so I gotta go home.
 
Back
Top Bottom