• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

(Rant warning!)What's the fuss over alnico?

The speaker industry (and a lot of other industries) better hope we don't go to war with China anytime soon. I didn't realize that they're responsible for like 75% of the world's magnet-supply (and 95% of the ones we get here in the US).

That was true a year ago; but it appears China's actions changed things.

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052702304692804577281572744017042.html

In the last couple days, China has tried to fix the problem they created by attempting to corner the market:

http://www.cnbc.com/id/49545975

We'll have to see how things end up, but it appears that US manufacturers will be coming online with rare earth production before long.
 
The speaker industry (and a lot of other industries) better hope we don't go to war with China anytime soon.

I imagine that if we go to war with China, buying speakers will probably be fairly far down on the list of priorities.
 
How do you even tell if your magnets are alnico? I don't think I've ever been aware of the type of magnet my speakers were utilizing.
 
Yeah, that's one area I haven't even READ about. Are those similar at all to the old field coil units they used back in the early 20th Century (prior to the introduction of the VOTT and all that)?

Right now, the "alnico cone-drivers in a big, ported, non-resonating cab" thing seems to be working out very, very-well. Things are really-clicking. I'll look into that stuff though. I've heard of Lowthers, but the Cogent name is new to me.

*EDIT* - I really-like the look of the Supravox drivers (I think they're Supravox... They have a kind of Goodmans look to them). I found what looks to be a great link on Supravox history. I'll give 'er a read...
http://http://www.supravox.fr/anglais/histoire.htm

215_excitation.jpg


I wonder how a pair of these 215 rtf 64's sound... Do all field-coil types have such a tall magnet structure (or whatever it is)?

In the late 90s early 2000s I experimented with most of the then currently available Supravox drivers. I like them a lot - much more than Lowthers (which I found shouty and unreliable). BUT ... in those days you had to deal directly with the factory in France (they had a little ad in Speaker Builder), and that was problematic. I believe things are different (and better) now.

If you're willing to live with 4-6 cubic foot bass reflex cabinets the 215 and 215 bicone are DEFINITELY worth checking out. You'll probably want some sort of supertweeter, to add off-axis treble.

And now, back to our topic. :D
 
I totally agree with you, frommerstop. The alnico advantage seems kinda mythic to me. By they way, love that Lupin III! I thought Steven Speilberg was going to do a Lupin movie, but I haven't heard any details.
 
I don't understand the science of it, but as a musician, I CLEARLY hear a difference between alnico/ceramic when it comes to guitar pickups and guitar speakers (Since many guitar speakers are designed to break up a little when needed, the alnico drivers are smoother/more-musical at those breakup levels... But also, I just find them smoother/more-musical in general, even at clean volumes... I don't usually drive my guitar-amp speakers to the point of breakup... Instead, I usually use my Fulltone OCD so I can get overdrive at lower volumes... Works extremely-well... Love that pedal... My main guitar pickups are Seymour Duncan SH-55 Seth Lovers).

I guess I'll sit and ponder this while enjoying a little Sinatra...
I can help you out a bit here...

Since a guitar pickup is essentially a Gauss meter with an audio output, it's no wonder the magnets make a big difference in the tone of the pickups. Different magnet sizes and materials make a difference in the shape of the magnetic field, and as the string vibrates in the field we hear different overtones being generated, especially as the note decays. Guitar players not only generally prefer alnico magnets, they get fussy about which kind of alnico is used. I replaced the alnico5 magnets in my JBs with alnico2, the same as you have in your Seths. The bass is fuller, and the top end sweeter.

As you say, guitar speakers are designed to distort. They have very little Xmax, and the paper cones are relatively light for the power applied. They also have variable rate suspensions so they don't go "clunk" when you 'pop' or 'slap' a string. That is, guitar speakers handle a much greater dynamic range than audio speakers and they do it by compressing the signal. According to Ted Weber, alnico magnets temporarily deguass when faced with a strong (opposing) magnetic field, and this is why alnico speakers compress even more than ceramic speakers. And, they seem to have the same looser bass and harmonically richer highs that alnico pickups do. (I own four different 100 watt alnicos, and for most things, prefer them to my ceramic speakers, such as Greenbacks, V30s and EVM12Ls.)


My guess would be this all relates to the audiophile's preference for alnico by providing a more euphonic experience, though I suspect JBL and the others designed their speakers to avoid alnico's more extreme non-linearities. No speaker is perfect, though, and myself, I'd rather have a speaker that was 80% accurate and euphonic for the last 20% than a speaker that was 90% accurate and got harsh and brittle when pushed too far. YMMV, etc. :)
 
Just like vacuum tubes and vinyl, I think that most of the buzz arises from the cult of the arcane.

There are claims that AlNiCo has nonlinear properties that result in vacuum tube amp-like "compression" that may be euphonious.... but there are also claims that Jimmy Hoffa is still alive and well and presiding over an army of clones in South America, and that the Pentagon's $1000 toilet seats finance research into new directly heated triode technology at Area 51.

;-)
 
Isn't so difficult to explain.

Top manufacturers (JBL, etc.) knew how to do great speakers using AlNiCo. Once they couldn't source economically AlNiCo, they had to resort to other magnet materials, like ceramics; and they found many problems with non-linearlity, which means those non-alnico speakers weren't so good. Those problems were solved eventually.

Later exxxxcelent speakers have been made regardless of the magnet material, so, i woulnd't romanticize AlNiCo so much.

The best? The best is obviously a field coil.
 
Just like vacuum tubes and vinyl, I think that most of the buzz arises from the cult of the arcane.

There are claims that AlNiCo has nonlinear properties that result in vacuum tube amp-like "compression" that may be euphonious.... but there are also claims that Jimmy Hoffa is still alive and well and presiding over an army of clones in South America.
;-)

Nope, he's currently-residing at the Renaissance Center Hotel in Detroit... underneath a whole lot of concrete.
 
oh, and back on topic :-)
AlNiCo is kiddie stuff... field coils (electromagnets) is where you really want to be.
Srsly.

DSC_5225-1.jpg

DSC_5143.jpg
 
There are 27 grades of Ferrite magnets and they never seem to cause as much of a fuss as Alnico magnets, LMAO.
 
So, if your Alinco magnet woofer loses gauss, where do you get more?
At your corner gauss station!

Seriously, are there places where yoi can send speakers to get magnets ah re-magnetized?
 
I can help you out a bit here...

Since a guitar pickup is essentially a Gauss meter with an audio output, it's no wonder the magnets make a big difference in the tone of the pickups. Different magnet sizes and materials make a difference in the shape of the magnetic field, and as the string vibrates in the field we hear different overtones being generated, especially as the note decays. Guitar players not only generally prefer alnico magnets, they get fussy about which kind of alnico is used. I replaced the alnico5 magnets in my JBs with alnico2, the same as you have in your Seths. The bass is fuller, and the top end sweeter.

Yup. Very-true. I'm an Alnico II guy totally. If someone wanted alnico with a more-modern sound, Alnico V would be a better choice. Alnico II gives a more-open, honkier, midrangier kind of tone (like in the earliest PAF's). And what you said about guitar speakers and compression is true as well. But even at low levels, the alnico guitar speakers are generally-sweeter-sounding than their ceramic counterparts, for whatever reason (And I'm referring to NEW guitar speakers here). And I'm hearing that same sweetness in the alnico Wharfedale drivers I have from the tube era versus the ceramic ones from 5-10 years later. It's hard to say, really. The alnico ones were used in ported enclosures (and whatever design that SFB3 was) while the ceramic ones were put in sealed enclosures. Anyway, I don't know enough about this stuff to definitively-say what it is that makes a lot of alnico drivers so-special. Is the magnet material a huge part of it? I don't know. But I do know that I like the way a lot of the older alnico drivers are VOICED. Wharfedale, Goodmans, Altec (to an extent), University, Bozak (although they made great ceramic woofers as well), and even the old JBL woofers (It's their tweeters that I've never been a big fan of, but that's just a matter of personal taste). I also like the drivers they used in the Dynacos, especially the tweeter.
 
How do you even tell if your magnets are alnico? I don't think I've ever been aware of the type of magnet my speakers were utilizing.

Ceramic magnets tend to be larger in diameter and flatter than Alnico magnets, just as visual shorthand.
 
Ceramic magnets tend to be larger in diameter and flatter than Alnico magnets, just as visual shorthand.
Probably an oversimplification. One of the most obvious signs, for "exposed" Alnico is the "U" shaped metal piece over the pole piece. For many JBL speakers they have a Cover/Hood over the magnet so you don't see the actual magnet itself. If I recall, for a number of JBL speakers if the part number ends in "a" it's alnico, if not it's ferrite or ceramic. Not sure this is across the board though.

More often the non-alnico are round or square and sandwiched between a plate and the frame. Kind of like a burger, traditional and Wendy's. ;)
 
Ceramic magnets tend to be larger in diameter and flatter than Alnico magnets, just as visual shorthand.

In other words, Alnico magnet-structures (at least on the older ones) tend to be tall and narrow in comparison to ceramic ones... generally-speaking.

Here's an alnico woofer...
140.jpg


And now here's a ceramic woofer from the same company...
181405_thumb_54ea9acde19aedae932970d35222cfdf.jpg


The top one is a 12"... I think the bottom one is an 8", but you get the idea. Ceramic ones are usually quite-flat, like he said.

That top one... Oooh, baby.
 
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom