• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Rare 1960s Columbia Music Library Console Info

artsybob

Active Member
One of my relatives is trying to sell her mother's early 1960's Columbia console that was built for members of the Columbia Music Club back then. It was made to resemble a bookshelf with the "books" being record holders. I'm intrigued by this unit with its handsome control panel. Information on the internet is very scant, so I'm wondering if anyone as any info on this console, like who built it and what tubes it uses. Thanks!
 

Attachments

  • columbia_console1.jpg
    columbia_console1.jpg
    74.4 KB · Views: 131
  • columbia_console2.jpg
    columbia_console2.jpg
    81.6 KB · Views: 124
Register to hide this ad
Try the radio museum : here is the 680 : https://www.radiomuseum.org/r/cbs_columb_680.html
645-650 photofact is available from eBay

Sometimes, if you can't find the exact model, you need to look at the chassis numbers (most likely stamped in ink on the metal of the electronics) and piece together some info.

For what it's worth, if it was close to me, I'd have no problem paying up for this... I love it
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Try the radio museum : here is the 680 : https://www.radiomuseum.org/r/cbs_columb_680.html
645-650 photofact is available from eBay

Sometimes, if you can't find the exact model, you need to look at the chassis numbers (most likely stamped in ink on the metal of the electronics) and piece together some info.

For what it's worth, if it was close to me, I'd have no problem paying up for this... I love it

Apologies to the moderators on my prior posted links.
To answer the OP questions more thoroughly, although a lot of guesswork is needed...

CBS/Columbia produced their own electronics during this period in NY.
This unit is most likely using 6L6 output tubes. All 1959-1962 models I could find use these. The following was snipped from Wiki:
upload_2017-10-15_11-35-45.png

In 1965 CBS acquired Fender and many other electronic manufactures.
 
do the "books" pull out to stash records in? Individually, or is the whole thing a single piece that hides the records behind?

Looks like a VM 1200 series changer.
 
do the "books" pull out to stash records in? Individually, or is the whole thing a single piece that hides the records behind?

Looks like a VM 1200 series changer.

I believe the books pull out and are bins to store records in, but I can try to get some more pictures of it. I recognize the VM changer, it looks a lot like the one in my Westinghouse console but painted white!
 
Back
Top Bottom