• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Rare find? Goodman's of England Triaxiom speakers (w/Pics)

Those cabinets certainly make a statement ! .... and look quite at home in that room..I'm really looking forward to a 'review' on how they sound....
I feel that the next stop for you will be a Tube amplifier.. :) ..
 
Had a pair. They're called Triaxial, but there are only two functioning drivers, a woofer with a whizzer cone and a horn-loaded tweeter. Careful with the power application.
 
I've been enjoying my Goodmans quite a bit since I cleaned them up. They are not a speaker that blows you away, but like the AR 2ax that I was using previously, they are very easy to listen to, musical and engaging. Not a lot of bass despite the huge cabinet, but it's articulate and drums sound like drums. Classical & vocals especially sound awesome and uncolored. I haven't yet found much solid information about the 250c speaker; I would also love to know how far apart the "twin towers" are supposed to be spaced.
 
Hi Nor,

I'm glad to see another Maine AK'er purchased those Goodmans. For reasons I can't remember why, I "passed" on contacting the owner on those speakers when I saw the listing. I'm not sure why I did this as I am a fan of these type of speakers. I also have the tube gear best suited for such speakers. I suspect they will still sound good (perhaps a bit warm with the Marantz) especially when playing Classic Jazz. I have an circa 1940's Jensen Cabinet which I plan to install a vintage NORELCO 12" full range driver and use a Mono Tube Amp. Please keep up posted on your impressions on the Goodmans.

Regards,
SixCats!
 
Hi SixCats,

I found the Goodmans at a local antique store (since gone out of business) and enjoyed them for several weeks. Alas, they have since found a new home. I really had no place to put them when they were "out of the rotation" in the main system, plus moving them was always a two-person job. (Not to mention the fact that, even for my easygoing spouse, 6-feet tall speakers were just a tad too much!) I had no interest in parting them out, so I was happy to find an enthusiastic buyer who appreciated them. Oh well, you can't keep 'em all....
 
Hi Nor,

Yea, I know what you mean about "can't keep 'em all". I thinned out the bulk of my collection over the last few years. I had TWO beautiful pairs of Wharfedale W90's (one pair now owned by Gang Twanger) that I let go. Also sold a PRISTINE pair of original ESS AMT1's and so much other stuff I can't recall. I still have a (single) BIG (VERY BIG) Custom/Home made (circa 1960-70's) Cabinet filled with EV Horns drivers. Sucker must weight 300 lbs. I finally had to hire help and move it three floors down into my Basement along with a slightly smaller (single) Custom Cabinet filled with UNIVERSITY Horn Drivers. I still however kept two beautiful BIG (circa 1950's) JENSEN TRI-PLEX Bass reflex Cabinets (aka "The Holy Cabinets") still in need of a matched pair of 15" Co/Tri Axial Drivers. I only have the Cabinets, the rare 15" JENSEN 610's I'm told went overseas. Hopefully someday before I die, I'll find some Drivers (that I can afford) for the Jensen Cabs. In the meantime, I still continue to listen in Mono with my favorite Speaker :

http://i39.tinypic.com/fjjhus.jpg

Per : http://jelabs.blogspot.com/2011/06/architects-music-and-hi-fi.html


This is an interesting picture of a Charles Eames/Stephens Trusonic collaboration sent a while back by Sixcats ! with another intriguing speaker in the background ;) Robert Stephens was part of the Shearer Horn project before starting his own company. I have seen a few Stephens drivers and the quality of construction is comparable to an Altec or JBL. But I never saw or heard this particular speaker system which according to a brochure in Hi-Fi Lit contained a 15" woofer in a folded horn chamber, compression driven 10 cell horn midrange + super tweeter. It is a rare piece and probably samples have been snapped up by mid-century modern collectors long before audio aficionados became aware of the sonic virtues of vintage equipment.

Well, it's fun to enjoy them for awhile! So, whatcha planning next for Speakers ?

Regards,
SixCats!
 
Low Wattage preferrably Tube powered:):thmbsp:

Great looking speakers enjoy them.

Tube

They'd sound heavenly with SE tube power :yes:

Well, apparently oxalic acid does the trick to remove black water marks, but after reading all the warnings on the label, I decided to continue sanding. Several hours later, I've made huge progress & I think they're going to look really good. I've also confirmed that the drivers are working, although I haven't really taken them for a spin yet. I don't own any tube amps, so will probably try them out with my mellow Marantz 2230.

Gonna need a bigger house:

attachment.php


The tube recommendation seems to be a good one, especially with 16 Ohm drivers. Typically, solid state amplifiers will only have approximately 50% of their 8 Ohm output in this case. I am not sure of the 2230's rated power or these cool looking speakers' sensitivity. Nice score!
 
Hi SixCats,

I found the Goodmans at a local antique store (since gone out of business) and enjoyed them for several weeks. Alas, they have since found a new home. I really had no place to put them when they were "out of the rotation" in the main system, plus moving them was always a two-person job. (Not to mention the fact that, even for my easygoing spouse, 6-feet tall speakers were just a tad too much!) I had no interest in parting them out, so I was happy to find an enthusiastic buyer who appreciated them. Oh well, you can't keep 'em all....

Oh man... Beautiful speakers... Wish I had seen these earlier. I was just up in Maine for two weeks. Hey there, Sixcats! Hope things are great with you guys.

I heard a pair of Goodmans once. Did you get to hear those with tubes? I don't know how they are with solid-state, but I always figured they would be perfect with a Harman Kardon or Dynaco tube rig. One of the most-open-sounding speakers ever, I mean, holy crap, are they open-sounding. Definitely a tube-friendly speaker, and classic British (Not as warm as Wharfedale or University, but just as engaging... Just a different flavor... Goodmans full-rangers are considered by some to be the best ever made). As someone said, should be amazing with a tube Leak. Goodmans are RARE in the US, so consider yourself lucky to have owned them. On my bucket list, but I'm a big fan of Wharfedales, so they take precident, but I'd sure love a pair like those.

Are those Goodmans cabs? I was never sure how many cabs they made at their factory and how many were outsourced to the country where they marketed/sold.
 
Last edited:
Very interesting speakers - - - usually, I am no fan of vertical towers as furniture, but these are really beautiful and unusual cabinets. The oxalic acid for bleaching wood or removing water stains that I have used has never seemed so toxic, but it is even less so if you use the mild version found in Bar Keeper's Friend. Just make a paste, rub it around and wait a few minutes, and if needed, repeat process.

Am curious about crossover components and wondering if anything might benefit from some attention, restoration or replacement?

http://www.barkeepersfriend.com/using-bar-keepers-friend
 
Thanks for all the renewed interest! As I mentioned earlier, I found the Goodmans at a local antique store that was going out of business. I knew the owner and had noticed that she had posted a bunch of items on Craigslist, including one for "mid-century speakers". When I went over to check them out, she told me that the Goodmans had come from a very large oceanside home in South Portland that was an untouched time capsule of 1950s/60s furniture. She ended up buying the entire contents of the home. In her store, the speakers were displayed next to very nice mid-century modern stereo cabinet (from the same house) that enclosed a Dual 1019 turntable and a cheapie 1980's Technics amp and tuner that obviously replaced whatever was there originally.

I never got to try the Goodmans out with tubes, but I used a few different low-power receivers (Pioneer SX-626, Marantz 2225 & 2230) and the sound was really, really sweet and engaging.

I was able to get almost all the black crud out of the veneer by sanding. I never did find out who made the cabinets, but the construction was absolutely first rate. However, if there is one clue that they may have been custom-made, and not built at a factory, the back of one speaker cabinet was attached with 32 screws...but the other had only 31....??
 
Last edited:
help?

I didn't know where else to post these, so here goes. I recently picked these up at an estate sale. I'm looking to flip them, but I can't find any information on them. Can anyone help with deets and pricing info? Much appreciated.
IMG_5276.jpg

IMG_5272.jpg

IMG_5274.jpg

IMG_5266.jpg

IMG_5270.jpg

IMG_5271.jpg

IMG_5267.jpg
 
Back
Top Bottom