• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Raw Speakers

pretweak

Enigma
Anyone happen to know a good source for raw speakers?
I'm looking for 5" midranges. 8 ohm, around 150 watt, and somewhere about 300-8000hz.

Years ago I had a roomey. He left his old cabinets behind that I'd like to use.
He was having issues with the midranges, and his solution was to pull the cones out. :screwy:
these are decent cabinets but not real high end. I'm somewhat guessing on the specs. that I need, as no one has specs. for these speakers.

I have found very few sources for raw speakers, and the ones I have found are of an unknown quality. I built speakers years ago, but the market for raw speakers seems to have vanished. :pity:
 
Register to hide this ad
no midrange driver i know of will take 150 watts. the important thing is sensitivity and frequency response.
the woofer sucks up the watts, the mids and tweeters don't need much juice at all when they're matched with the woofers output.
I have some polyprolyene 5 inch mids and a pair of matching tweets that would fill your needs. PM me if interested--just to get them used i'll sell them cheap, i'll never get around to using them anymore.
 
Also www.madisound.com A bit higher-end, on the average, than PartsExpress, but both are excellent.

MCM Electronics has (or had) lots of drivers as well, but were never terribly organized about them as far as I could tell.
 
Thanks Guys,
I still didn't find what I want. I have to be quite specific to fit the cabinets.
The only ones I saw that would work are too expensive for this retrofit.
Bully, thanks for the offer, but I don't care for Poly. speakers, unless they are dome style. For cones, I prefer fabric.

Still on the hunt...
 
Post a picture of the cabinet, with a tape measure over where the midrange needs to go. Much more likely to be able to tell what you need, and make suggestions.

Regards,
Gordon.
 
Try Solen.
They are known for the high quality capacitors that they offer, but they also have raw speaker drivers from many of the best names in audio. And, they are in Canada to boot. :yes:

Rich
 
What brand speaker cabinet are we talking about? I might remember the mid if I knew the original company. (this is assuming you want something akin to the original)
 
bully said:
no midrange driver i know of will take 150 watts. the important thing is sensitivity and frequency response.
the woofer sucks up the watts, the mids and tweeters don't need much juice at all when they're matched with the woofers output.
I have some polyprolyene 5 inch mids and a pair of matching tweets that would fill your needs. PM me if interested--just to get them used i'll sell them cheap, i'll never get around to using them anymore.

I believe the Dynaudio D-54af will. But finding a pair..............like the ones I have. :yes: tough. :no:

Might want to try something in the Morel line.

(correction: 250 watts! 800-8000 hz)
 
Last edited:
Thanks again guys for your help. I chcked Solen, but nope.
Gordon, I am unable to provide pictures at the moment, perhaps later this week.
The cabinets are 2 ft high, 11&1/2 inches deep, and 1ft 3 inches wide. The woofer is a 10 inch, the mid is 5 inch (outside diameter on both) and the tweeter is a horn.
There are 2 ports at the bottom of the cabinets. I know the impedance is 8 ohm, but am unsure of the rsm watts.

Hey Lab, thanks, but no one outside western Canada knows anything obout these speakers. They where available from the late 70's to the mid 80's. Decent but definetely not high end. They are Vega Linear. these ones are VL 12's. I've checked for specs. but they aren't to be found.
 
what about philips?

I just checked my philips cone mids and they are 5" across from center of surround to center of surround.
The dome mids are 5" from screw hole across to other screw hole.

Both are found in some pretty good speakers, probably a little higher quality than the original Vega Linear stuff.

I'm in Calgary.

Ken
 
Eminence make some commercial/PA 8" drivers that'll probably sink as much power as you give them. PartsExpress would have them.
 
Have a look at Raw Acoustics. Sorry, from reading the title I couldn't resist. They do have some individual drivers though. So do we.
 
Back
Top Bottom