• Please note that Audiokarma will be offline briefly for updates early on Monday morning, September 28th.

Raytheon International

gearhound

Lunatic Member
I picked up a NOS/NIB Raytheon International short bottle 6SL7GT vacuum tube for $5/delivered. :thmbsp:
The tube is stamped, 'Made In Japan'.
It is my limited understanding, that Raytheon sourced the great majority of their Japanese tubes from Toshiba, with some sourced from Hitachi also?

Does that sound about right?? :scratch2:

Steve
 
Register to hide this ad
Hmm, any photos? I'd be interested to see if it is another re-labeled russian tube, they seem to be insidiously common.

Not to sound pessimistic, it's just that any time I see those blue "International" tube boxes I get nervous. It's a surprise every time...
 
Raytheon stopped making tubes in the USA, right at the end of the late 50's.
By then, they had 'business dealings' with many large Japanese companies, including tube manufacturers.
So no, I wouldn't expect it to be anything other than how it's labelled......MIJ.

Steve
 
I have some Raytheons 12AX7 that were made in Japan.
Afriend told me that those with yellow printings were sourced from Hitachi and those with blue printings from Toshiba,but I can't be sure.
They are quite good though.
 
Something to consider is that Raytheon owned 51% of JRC (Japan Radio Corperation ) which made Raytheons magnetrons and other comerical tubes as well as radars for them for decades , I wouldn't doubt that some are JRC labeled Raytheon . Sperry used Toshiba & Hitachi small signal tubes in their radars .
 
i have one 12av6 by hitachi/raytheon....brand labled "Hit-Ray"..clear hitachi logos on the box,i believe Raytheon was a partner/technical advisor in setting them up...it would only be natural if they were partners,had input in manufacturing,QC etc that they would have little problem sourcing product from them...next best thing to your own plant,at least on paper :)
 
Back
Top Bottom