• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

RCA Victor 19k capacitors

marionette

New Member
I'm not really sure if I should have put this in the tuner section or the tube section since this is a question regarding a tube tuner, but following some troubleshooting I decided to rip the tuner out of the top of our old rca victor 19k and confirmed that there were a couple busted capacitors underneath; I have the ratings for them, but when I was looking around on parts express I wasn't exactly sure what types of capacitors I should be looking to put in these old tuners - I was hoping somebody here might be able to shed some light on the topic

the capacitors in question are a .005mfd 600v and a .004mfd 600v, I attached some pics of both
 

Attachments

  • cap1.jpg
    cap1.jpg
    92.2 KB · Views: 18
  • cap2.jpg
    cap2.jpg
    391.9 KB · Views: 17
Register to hide this ad
Modern metal film capacitors are good candidates. The ones in the pictures are notorious for leakage after a few years and there are more than a few years on those. I had capacitors like those in the first picture in an old Marconi radio that I restored and the resistance on two of them was 5 megohms and seven megohms respectively. These were capacitors that went to the output tube grids and once they started pulling the output tube grids positive, that damaged the cathode resistor, so I had failure propagation.

The second picture is a Sprague Black Beauty capacitor that has split and let humidity in. It will also leak. But save them for guitarists, some of them love Black Beauty capacitors and there is a brisk eBay trade on them.
 
Back
Top Bottom