• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

RCA Victrola 45-EY-3 restoration

Wildcat

¡Que siga la fiesta!
Admin
Moderator
Subscriber
I'm curious if anyone has ever restored or worked on an RCA Victrola 45 like this model 45-EY-3. I bought it over a decade ago with the intention of restoring it, but life got in the way. Once I am done with my stalled Martin Logan restoration project (busy with work this month), this is next, likely a summer project.

I have a source for the common failed parts--The V-M Enthusiast (Northville MI) has the rubber parts needed to redo the record changer, plus a cartridge that will replace the crystal unit that it originally came with.

I have to find a readable schematic to figure out which capacitor values to buy. The radiomuseum.org site has some schematics there, but one has to be careful as this model had four different chassis designations; mine is the RS-136E. The changer is a common RP-190.

I wanted to replace the speaker with a modern 4x6 car speaker which sounds better, but it is not possible now that I've examined the innards. The amp chassis has a "V" cut in it to closely follow the shape of the woofer. I might install a clandestine speaker jack though, just for kicks. ;) (Easily hidden within one of the vents.)

I have heard I can buff out the Bakelite enclosure with automotive polishing compound and wax. The only issue with the case is that there is a crack on the rear of it. I need to find an appropriate glue to repair the crack, plus I want to reinforce it inside by gluing a piece of something over it to help hold it together. It is a clean crack, barely visible unless you know to look for it.

I'll have pics shortly. Interesting little project, and I know my daughter will get a kick out of it.
 
Register to hide this ad
It doesn't seem like there are many capacitors in this thing--seven that I can count. One is a dual capacitor, an electrolytic. The rest are paper/oil capacitors. What is a good replacement for these? I don't mind decent quality electrolytics so this doesn't have to be serviced anytime soon. I would think the resistors are OK.

upload_2020-5-20_23-54-6.png

This is a cart I put together at the V-M parts supplier I linked above--this should be all the rubber parts, plus the new cartridge.

upload_2020-5-20_23-56-1.png

This is the schematic for the RS-136E chassis. I'll double-check it, but this RS-136E should be mine (out of the three choices) based on the tube complement. The capacitor values are the same for all chassis.

upload_2020-5-20_23-58-18.png
 
Nice project!

Polypropylene film is the best choice. Inexpensive and no replacement is ever needed. Assuming it will fit, and you wanted to spend the money, a 40 µF PP motor-run capacitor is about $10 or so and will forever last.

Best check the resistors. In old radios the tendency is to upwards drift, often by 200%. Sometimes more. The carbon composition resistor is made with graphite and clay, and the clay is hygroscopic. Not many resistors in the the circuit, and metal film should greatly improve the, ahem, fidelity. Plus never need replacing.

Also need to address the death cap. But I expect you already took care of that.

Might benefit from an isolation transformer for the B+, though.

Looks like the heater voltage is already reasonably adjusted. Series string @ 97 VDC + 120 Ω dropping resistor (18 VDC @ 150 mA), so 125 which should run the heaters a little cooler. At 117 VAC that would be 6.4%, so now about 4%.
 
I saw a kit on eBay that had the caps and resistors last night, so I figured the resistors would also need to be replaced. I will make up an order at one of the online parts house, matching the existing values and roll with it. It probably will be an autumn project now that we're into the rare warm weather here.
 
Back
Top Bottom