• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Re-coating AUDAX dome tweeters w/measurements!!

in my case the resin is evaporating
index.php
 
in my case the resin is evaporating

I've seen this in some Tannoy tweeters (there is another thread here at AK about them). What I did was to remove with some small tweezers as much as I could of the old material, and paint the exposed cloth with this vinyl product.

You could try some PVA glue, diluted, and do some tests on some fabric to check the thickness, flexibility, and so, and choose the material and dilutioon that gives the best result.

here are picts of those tannoy tweeters, with before-after measurements: One of the tweeters was more damaged, but both showing this problem.

worst tweeter
P1200428.JPG

better dome:
P1200448.JPG

measurement of both tweeters before the fix, you can see a huge difference
respuesta sano-roto original.png

Response of both repaired tweeters compared to the best tweeter before the fix:
respuesta sano-roto-reparados.png

"repaired" Tannoy domes:
P1200452.JPG

P1200451.JPG
 
Last edited:
I've seen this in some Tannoy tweeters (there is another thread here at AK about them). What I did was to remove with some small tweezers as much as I could of the old material, and paint the exposed cloth with this vinyl product.

You could try some PVA glue, diluted, and do some tests on some fabric to check the thickness, flexibility, and so, and choose the material and dilutioon that gives the best result.

here are picts of those tannoy tweeters, with before-after measurements: One of the tweeters was more damaged, but both showing this problem.

worst tweeter
View attachment 2337062

better dome:
View attachment 2337066

measurement of both tweeters before the fix, you can see a huge difference
View attachment 2337044

Response of both repaired tweeters compared to the best tweeter before the fix:
View attachment 2337048

"repaired" Tannoy domes:
View attachment 2337072

View attachment 2337073

thanks a lot.
I am from Brazil btw, and couldn't find nothing when googleing for plastificante vinílico

I actualy have an old tweeter of the same type that has amost no resin at all which I will use to do some testing. It might even come back to live...who knows
 
The "goo" I use stays always sticky and flexible. It's very hard to clean, water or alcohol have little effect on it once dry.

It's the material used to seal cloth surrounds on large woofers. If you ask any speaker repair shop in your country, they will know the product. It's not like the original coating in the Tannoy tweeters or in your last pict. That material is dry, and very thin. But sealing the dome as I did restored the tweeters.
 
If you ask any speaker repair shop in your country, they will know the product

most will use products called "gel de borda" or "geleia de borda" in bottles without any label.
there is only one prduct I found:

D_NQ_NP_2X_920928-MLB40682707341_022020-F.webp


D_NQ_NP_2X_841640-MLB46493299857_062021-F.webp


so the older one uses an acrylic emulsion (basicly a paint finisher?), the newer one I couldn't find out

here is a picture of a surrounding treated with "gel de borda" (not the CiaBond one)

fig42-dscn4406.jpg


I doubt this stuff is what manufactures use on their tweeters,
on the other hand, looking at the result you posted where one tweeter ended up having mixed coating and the other not so much, it doesn't seam to matter too much. at least if you use DRC.

here is another topic about the subject. some guy says he sucessfully uses silicone: https://www.diyaudio.com/forums/multi-way/79999-soft-dome-tweeter-coatings.html
 
Now that you mentioned "paint finish", I think there is a product called here "fijador" or "fixer", what you apply to a wall to seal it before painting, looks very similar to this white thing I use. A bit less sticky, but it's water based and very flexible. I have some here at home, I'll try on a piece of cloth and see how it turns once dry.

I'd use that "gel the borda", for sure the material is proven enough.

My goal was not to match the factory material, that would be virtually impossible. My goal was to seal the dome keeping it lightweight and more or less flexible as the original dome was. But I think the main audible difference is because the dome is sealed now. For sure some properties of the material are different, but now the tweeter is usable.
 
I see. Try to measure from 1 meter, at the mid point between woofer and tweeter, to check the crossover region.
 
After the years, I discovered the material I use is probably (95% sure) a water based sealant you apply before painting a wall, I don't know the english name or brands for that product, it's probably "Water-Based Primer/Sealer". It's very light, flexible when dry, and not very sticky (better than the original product IMHO)
 
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom