• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Re-foam glue and simply speakers #MI-3035 alternative

CJ Payne

Well-Known Member
I usually order re-foam kits from S.S. but this time I was ordering for a pair of Boston Acoustics A-150’s and the surrounds came from a dealer in Florida.

Sadly when I opened the package glue was not included. Not having Simply Speakers #MI-3035 glue on hand, but I didn’t want to wait another two weeks for them to ship me some, I wanted to do the repair right away and hear these speakers roar! I wanted to grab something locally that would work just as well, and found it hard to believe S.S. Is actually in the glue manufacturing business, thinking it more likely they buy it wholesale and re-brand it.

A google search provided little information, and just kept coming up with that or super glue gel, which is less than ideal because it both cures too fast to make adjustments if there are centering issues and it cures leaving white residue.

As luck would have it at Home depot I found a gel glue Loctite makes that I’m almost certain is the same adhesive as the simply speakers formula. It’s under $5 and almost certainly available at your local hardware store. I repaired the woofers and it dried clear and sets in about 5 minutes leaving a little room for adjustment if needed. And also is a gel so it doesn’t run.

I’ll still gladly use the #MI-3035 in the future, but if you’re in a pinch and don’t want to wait on shipping I can say this glue works perfectly and even has the same dispenser tip.

Happy speaker repair, everyone. Several of you probably already knew of the product but maybe this thread will help those googling alternatives in the future.
 

Attachments

  • 29B12CC3-28AF-4596-A645-122595C23B34.jpeg
    29B12CC3-28AF-4596-A645-122595C23B34.jpeg
    102.5 KB · Views: 194
  • C029E923-6707-4C81-8E1B-A2F39B39DBCC.jpeg
    C029E923-6707-4C81-8E1B-A2F39B39DBCC.jpeg
    98.6 KB · Views: 152
Register to hide this ad
Arleen’s flexible fabric glue is also a good alternative. You just want flexibility, for obvious reasons...

Hopefully you’re rocking out now!
 
Flexible is only necessary if repairing a hole in the foam surround, then a rubber cement can help, but where the surround meets the cone and basket are fixed places that don’t flex during operation (hopefully)
The key here is quick drying but not too quick and clean appearance when done. In reality you can probably use Elmer’s glue all however you would have to let it tack up quite a bit before application, or you’ll be spending the better part of half an hour pressing it to the paper cone and still risking it peeling back in places.

I’m pretty sure this is either the same as the simply speakers glue or a very similar silicone based adhesive. The s.s. Glue might be just a little thinner.

good tip on the fabric glue I hadn’t thought of that

Just need to replace one fuse pot in one of the A-150’s tomorrow and I’ll take them for a test drive right after
 
I’ve purchased and replaced a ton of surrounds over the years, purchased from a lot of different respectable vendors. I do find it interesting that some use “white glue” and some use the silicone (clear) glues. Both types of glues have come from highly reputable sources, and are for foam-based surrounds. I personally like using the white based glues more as they seem a little more forgiving during installation, but have had zero problems with using either type. Cleaning the surfaces and prep is the key to a good outcome.

Glad you found a good source for moving your project forward!
 
Personally I find the SS glue sets too fast for my taste but perhaps that is at least partially due to my declining dexterity. Still there are some situations where I use the SS glue because I need the quick bond.
 
I usually order re-foam kits from S.S. but this time I was ordering for a pair of Boston Acoustics A-150’s and the surrounds came from a dealer in Florida.

Sadly when I opened the package glue was not included. Not having Simply Speakers #MI-3035 glue on hand, but I didn’t want to wait another two weeks for them to ship me some, I wanted to do the repair right away and hear these speakers roar! I wanted to grab something locally that would work just as well, and found it hard to believe S.S. Is actually in the glue manufacturing business, thinking it more likely they buy it wholesale and re-brand it.

A google search provided little information, and just kept coming up with that or super glue gel, which is less than ideal because it both cures too fast to make adjustments if there are centering issues and it cures leaving white residue.

As luck would have it at Home depot I found a gel glue Loctite makes that I’m almost certain is the same adhesive as the simply speakers formula. It’s under $5 and almost certainly available at your local hardware store. I repaired the woofers and it dried clear and sets in about 5 minutes leaving a little room for adjustment if needed. And also is a gel so it doesn’t run.

I’ll still gladly use the #MI-3035 in the future, but if you’re in a pinch and don’t want to wait on shipping I can say this glue works perfectly and even has the same dispenser tip.

Happy speaker repair, everyone. Several of you probably already knew of the product but maybe this thread will help those googling alternatives in the future.

Funny this was the exact question I had.
As I found it to be the best to work with.

From experience, it smells Exactly likw and seems to at like model glue, like testors.

I believe that's all it is, anyone can confirm??
Old thread I know but is perfect for me.
 
Said it B4 I'll say it again - I use Beacons Fabri-Tac foerall my refoam jobs, sets fast but not too fast and provides a very good bond. Get it a craft store or WMart
 
Which of all the above mentioned glue would be good for non foam rubber surround to aluminum basket/frame?
 

Attachments

  • IMG_9479.jpeg
    IMG_9479.jpeg
    118.2 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_9473.jpeg
    IMG_9473.jpeg
    116.4 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_9478.jpeg
    IMG_9478.jpeg
    134.8 KB · Views: 18
I think the M-3035 adhesive would work perfect for that. I have used this for several surrounds and it sticks to everything. Trick is, don’t use too much. I usually hold the tube perpendicular to the basket and hold it about 1/32” above the surface and don’t squeeze the tube. Just let it flow out and apply a thin layer. Then let it flash dry for like 10 seconds and then press the surround into it and keep pressing it every few seconds to make sure it grabs. You shouldn’t have any problems.
 
Old Thread but relevant to me :

I like the white glue but don't like the m3035c because it's too messy and stringy. Maybe I'm just too much of a Bovice.
 
I've not had much luck with white glue, probably lack of patience. I've done several speakers now with the locktite above, I find it's great for not waiting to tack up, and not too messy if you're not too messy.
 
Back
Top Bottom