• Please note that Audiokarma will be offline briefly for updates early on Monday morning, September 28th.

Real question on why use a tuner.

Real question on why use a tuner.​

I don't know. I have two of them and they only get used a couple of times a year just to see if they're still working. Other than for local news a few times, AM-FM radio is pretty much dead to me. :smoke:
 
When Hurricane Katrina hit, we lost power for about a month. In the first few days, you got information from the radio in your car or battery operated radios, or word of mouth. Some of the rumors we heard were not true. I live in a smallish town outside New Orleans. Most neighbors got there TV and internet from cable. The local catv was down for about 3-4 months. After I had a generator, the satellite TV returned and we watched the levee breaks flooding the neighborhoods of friends and family along with all of the other awful results. The infrastructure supporting services like catv & internet are more likely to be out during and after a disaster. I have been wanting to dump expensive Directv and stream only. My wife remembers that time and wants to keep it just for that reason.
 
I use receivers. I like having FM local station on while working in the garage, doing hobbies, etc. The station I tune to plays the music I like and I pick up local events and news I otherwise wouldn't.

I have a couple emergency radios. Battery, rechargeable, FM, shortwave, crank charger, led lights, etc. Power doesn't go out often here but when it does, it's nice to tune up the local station on the mono speaker and listen out for what the issue is. Little music (even that cheap little mono speaker) also makes the time pass more pleasantly while waiting for the power to come back on.

TV? cancelled it last fall. All streaming now. Movies, documentaries, sitcom reruns, etc. We don't have internet connection issues, all fiber op and we pay for hte 1G package,so it's dead nuts reliable.

Couple reasons I cancelled all the cable:

1. commercials have just gone over the top. Felt like I was watching more commercial time than program time. Not to mention the content in commercials has gone so completely inane that I actually have the feeling Ive somehow gotten dumber after one has finished. Then there's the absolutely irritating ones like that JG Wentworth crap or flappy hand singing fat chick for farxica and their ilk. Or pills for guys that can't "get it up". Or perfume ads that just leave you confused about what the hell it was you just saw. Or the endless parade of lawyers screaming about this or that and how you have a big money waiting. Nope, cancel it all please. Nothing I'll miss there.

2. More and more channels come on line every week and make the guide longer and longer. Thing is, they're not "normal" networks, they're all special interest and to a one, all have an agenda. Left, right, cultural, snake handlers union, whatever. I don't exist in those echo-chambers. I don't on social media, I'll be damned if I'm going to let them beam it directly into my living room to catch me unawares as to what that "new" channel is about.. And, they up your monthly charges for it with the justification : we're giving you more channels. . No-thank-you. Cancel.

3. After last fall, I just don't want to hear ANY of the news channels or ANY news "snippets" intruding during commercial breaks. Read into that what you want, I just don't want to know anymore....I get what I need to know (and what I can actually DO something about) from the local FM station short little news pieces. Yes, I'm sticking my head in the sand. I have to if I don't want to go completely mad....like the rest of the globe seems to have gone.....

I'm retired. 30 years military and I'm just done with it all. I'm out. Completely out. Just want peace and quiet.

The world is gonna keep on spinning like it always does, but I just want it to leave me alone in peace and quiet to live out whatever time I have left on this earth.. TV is too much of an intrusion on that these days, so goodbye.

I'll just turn on my little FM station and hear music I want and "cutsey pieces" about whats happening up the road in my little patch of the world....

The missus has even noticed an improvement in my mood since we cancelled all that crap. I guess it's like letting a worm eat into your brain, or like a growing brain tumor. Cut it out. You'll be better off for it.....
 
Last edited:
My wife and I have a (weekday) morning ritual that includes about an hour and a half of listening to a regional CBC radio program, over coffee, breaky, and chit chat...for that....only one source feels right...

Living room Stereo cartoon.jpg
 
The tuner that is part of the home stereo gets zero use since all the local radio stations have either a weak signal, horrible programming -think yodeling, Spanish ballads- or both.

But I do stream a radio station from Vermont, WEQX.

Before we moved, I had a Craigslist JVC receiver in the garage and would often listen to FM and I listened to a lot of FM in my car. But not in the house, I didn't want to look at the antenna.
 
Still love NPR. My tuners are generally always tuned to one or another affiliate except for when they are tuned to a ballgame that isn't on free television. I'm not rabid enough about sports to pay a subscription but I am rabid enough to tune in a radio station.
 
As has been said, nostalgia, convenience, and they're often just beautiful to look at across a dimly lit room. 700T.jpg
 
The large majority of my gear is older than my kids and in decent shape too. I just love turning them on a listening to my favorite radio stations. The lights, faceplates and characteristics of each is just fun and interesting to me. I have a small office/workbench space where I have 5 receiver/tuners in and choose which I turn on for the days I work from home! When I work outdoors, generally the first thing I do is open the shed doors and turn on that receiver, a $20 Sony pushing EPI M100's, to my fav radio station at that moment.
 
I use tuners to receive FM...a free no hassle music source all day long. I stay plugged into local news, weather, concerts, etc

And it also sounds glorious, requires nothing else - no internet, no DAC, no computer or stream box, no phone to select the stream, etc So it's available instantly at the push of a button anywhere / any room there is decent reception.
The stream does not cut out, skip, or just plain not work for no reason some days (server full?)

But I suppose the 3 things that determine the value of FM is like the 3 things valuing real estate - location, location, location.

OTOH, you may not enjoy FM if you make a half arsed effort with the tuner and antenna. Like using a dipole on the floor with a cheap out of alignment receiver...
Currently listening to VT Public Classical, broadcast from the top Mt Equinox. That site also broadcasts WEQX, another local fave
 
Some valid points made. :thumbsup:

A sensitive tuner makes a big difference along with a decent antenna to pull in the signals.


Mostly in the morning to pick up road conditions, remind me of the time or local weather, esp in this Winter.

As well, I'll take in some detailed investigation/interview (AM stations) that might hold interest/catch a sports event if working on a project.

For NEWS, it's pretty much being read from the same page for all stations, but the local stations might focus on something different. A fast update for both.


Q
 
The stream does not cut out, skip, or just plain not work for no reason some days (server full?)
i have a local radio station that's been down for a couple weeks and they can't find anyone to do the needed repairs. :dunno:

but you can still stream that station on the web so again: :dunno:
 
I guess if you have a great tuner with a good antennae that is oriented correctly you might find HD FM to be very enjoyable. My problem is program material broadcast by local stations in the area. So about the only time I listen to FM is in the cars. Other wise its WQXR from New York NY. Thats close to 2300 miles away so I definitely stream them. Yes I can hear all the compromises of radio. limiting and two much compression and some times though rarely rumble from Turntables. But I loved their New Standards broadcast stream and their classical music stream. Classical and pop Christmas music during the season is a must. Looking forward to hearing the Vienna Philharmonic when they come to Carnegie Hall at the end of the month and the 2 of March. I also Stream Wind and Rhythm featuring Brass and Wind groups from all over the world. There is The Digital Concert Hall from Berlin featuring the Berlin Philharmonic. I wish Vienna would do something similar. The Germans use to many microphones and over compromise the music. The Berlin Concert hall is not that great either. Where Viennas is fabulous. Remember half the sound you hear in a live concert is the hall sound if you are in the audience and thats the way it should be broadcast. But not Berlin.
 
Back
Top Bottom