MetalFisher
Semi-Vintage fan
I use A and B outputs on my JVC receiver. Mostly i run the A speakers so I hooked my audio power meter in parallel with the speakers at the receiver output. Positive to positive, negative to negative, left and right channels.
The problem I ran into was even with the A speaker switch off, some power was still getting to the speakers. It was worse when I switched on the Tape monitor on my EQ for playing tapes. This problem did not happen on B speakers (with no power meter)
After some experimentation (running only one negative, switching polarity on the APM inputs which only caused the receiver's amplifier relay to trip) What finally worked was -
Hooking up just the positives and then hooking the negatives of the APM to the ground screw on the back of the receiver.
Left and right channels are still separated and when the speakers are off (par the switch), I get no sound out of them (as expected, as it should be). yet the APM still reads power output. That is not a bad thing, I am guessing the receiver cuts off just the negatives when the switch is "off".
Doing a resistance test, I found the negatives on the APM are connected together internally so maybe that was letting some power bleed, as if the negatives are separated inside the receiver.
My questions is - how safe is it to use the receiver grounding screw to hook the negative of the APM? It doesn't seem to cause any type of distortion or channel crosstalk, and the amplifier relay is not tripping.
Also after using an AC voltmeter and calculator, the APM seems within ballpark wattage range (yes it actually measures voltage and displays results based on a certain resistance, in my case 8 ohms) I used an ohms law calculator to find this out and compare results, several voltages used by turning volume up and down.
Am I asking for problems or is what I did a workable solution?
The problem I ran into was even with the A speaker switch off, some power was still getting to the speakers. It was worse when I switched on the Tape monitor on my EQ for playing tapes. This problem did not happen on B speakers (with no power meter)
After some experimentation (running only one negative, switching polarity on the APM inputs which only caused the receiver's amplifier relay to trip) What finally worked was -
Hooking up just the positives and then hooking the negatives of the APM to the ground screw on the back of the receiver.
Left and right channels are still separated and when the speakers are off (par the switch), I get no sound out of them (as expected, as it should be). yet the APM still reads power output. That is not a bad thing, I am guessing the receiver cuts off just the negatives when the switch is "off".
Doing a resistance test, I found the negatives on the APM are connected together internally so maybe that was letting some power bleed, as if the negatives are separated inside the receiver.
My questions is - how safe is it to use the receiver grounding screw to hook the negative of the APM? It doesn't seem to cause any type of distortion or channel crosstalk, and the amplifier relay is not tripping.
Also after using an AC voltmeter and calculator, the APM seems within ballpark wattage range (yes it actually measures voltage and displays results based on a certain resistance, in my case 8 ohms) I used an ohms law calculator to find this out and compare results, several voltages used by turning volume up and down.
Am I asking for problems or is what I did a workable solution?