• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Realistic Lab-400 Speed Issue

allan1832

Active Member
Hi all,

I have a very nice Realistic Lab-400 that won't hold its speed. The owner told me when he gave it to me that it had the problem. I took it apart and used Deoxit D5 and fader lube on all the pots, and I replaced all the electrolytic capacitors. I also added a little oil to the spindle. It's a little better, but still has the same problem.

When you start a record and set the speed it very gradually slows down. On a short record if I don’t correct it and don’t look at the strobe I can just barely hear the problem by the end of the side. It’s a little more noticeable by the end of a long side. If I correct the speed, when I start the record over it goes too fast at first then starts slowing down again. I tried spraying with Deoxit again, but with no improvement.

Does anybody have any ideas of other things to try?

I assume the issue is with the motor. There’s a Lab 420 being parted out now in Bartertown, but it appears that the Lab-420 motor was slightly improved over the one in the Lab-400, so it probably wouldn’t work in the 400. The only information I could find said that the 400 had a 16 pole brushless DC servomotor, and the 420 had a 20 pole brushless motor. I looked online for a service manual for the 420 to check out the differences but I couldn’t find one.

I'd love any help you could provide. It's a really nice turntable with good sound, especially if I correct the speed a time or two during a record. Maybe I should just look at it as listener participation in the music. :-)

Allan
 
Register to hide this ad
If it were me I wouldn't spend my cycles trying to fix it but rather work towards getting a Technics DD. That being said I would start by monitoring the power supply for voltage and see if it holds steady. If it does then you may be out of luck considering the service manual shows the control circuitry internal of the motor and "Not Serviceable".

If you really like the table then after confirming the voltage is steady you would probably have to open the motor up to do any further servicing such as changing the electrolytic caps.

I assume it does the same thing at both 33 and 45 RPM?

Steve
 
Vinyl Engine

Did you download the manual on Vinyl Engine that explains the process of setting the speed adjustment on this machine? This may or may not be of assistance but its worth a try.
 
Steve--Thank you--I totally forgot about checking the voltages. I had started to check them at one point and got caught up in something else and never got back to them. One of the voltages on the power supply board is fine, but the other isn't (assuming I'm measuring correctly). So it looks like I'll be pulling some components off the power supply board and checking them.

My main turntable is a Technics DD turntable, an SL-1300, and I love it. I would like to save this Lab-400 if I could though.

Hakaplan--yep, I hit the switch with Deoxit also.

Olddrum1--(great name by the way) Yes I downloaded the service manual. I thought it was a nice touch having two different speed adjustments. One is the normal fine tuning one on the top of the table, and the other is a pot on the bottom of the turntable directly into the motor, for more major speed adjustments--a very difficult place to have it I must say.

Allan
 
Back
Top Bottom