• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Realistic Mach 2, Utah WD-90, old large advents, advent A3

bluecanoe7

New Member
Hi
All of a sudden a ton of vintage speakers have showed up on craigslist in my area. I'm looking for a vintage set of medium sized speakers that will get reasonably loud. I need help on deciding which I should pursue:

Utah WD-90.
http://washingtondc.craigslist.org/nva/ele/598612214.html
$25 a pair, $40 for two pairs. Seemingly ok condition, don't know anything about the condition of the drivers because the grills are stapled on.

Realistic Mach 2 http://washingtondc.craigslist.org/nva/ele/599702660.html
$60. They have pretty good reviews, but I haven't corresponded with the owner and don't know the condition/ originality of the drivers. Your replies will help me decide whether i should find out. What are the dimensions on these?
The following is a site that's selling them for $500: http://www.oaktreeent.com/Stereo_Speakers.htm

"The large advents"
http://washingtondc.craigslist.org/mld/ele/598712072.html
$75. I think these are the original large advents, but I'm not sure. I don't know whether they're real walnut or just vinyl. They have some small tears on a woofer that the owner says can be easily fixed. He doesn't say they need refoaming, but original large advents sometimes do, right?

Advent A3
http://washingtondc.craigslist.org/nva/ele/600376599.html
$100. These are walnut, near mint condition. I haven't spoken to the owner about the condition/ originality of the drivers or whether they need refoaming.
They are a bit of a drive away. A3's are juts "the new large advents" right? What are the dimensions on these?

thanks, bluecanoe7
 
Register to hide this ad
Hi
All of a sudden a ton of vintage speakers have showed up on craigslist in my area. I'm looking for a vintage set of medium sized speakers that will get reasonably loud. I need help on deciding which I should pursue:

Utah WD-90.
http://washingtondc.craigslist.org/nva/ele/598612214.html
$25 a pair, $40 for two pairs. Seemingly ok condition, don't know anything about the condition of the drivers because the grills are stapled on
.

Realistic Mach 2 http://washingtondc.craigslist.org/nva/ele/599702660.html
$60. They have pretty good reviews, but I haven't corresponded with the owner and don't know the condition/ originality of the drivers. Your replies will help me decide whether i should find out. The following is a site that's selling them for $500: http://www.oaktreeent.com/Stereo_Speakers.htm

"The large advents"
http://washingtondc.craigslist.org/mld/ele/598712072.html
$75. I think these are the original large advents, but I'm not sure. I don't know whether they're real walnut or just vinyl. They have some small tears on a woofer that the owner says can be easily fixed. He doesn't say they need refoaming, but original large advents sometimes do, right?

Advent A3
http://washingtondc.craigslist.org/nva/ele/600376599.html
$100. These are walnut, near mint condition. I haven't spoken to the owner about the condition/ originality of the drivers or whether they need refoaming.
They are a bit of a drive away. A3's are juts "the new large advents" right?

thanks, bluecanoe7

Yep, that's what I sold a pair for two weeks ago.
 
with out a question

Hi
All of a sudden a ton of vintage speakers have showed up on craigslist in my area. I'm looking for a vintage set of medium sized speakers that will get reasonably loud. I need help on deciding which I should pursue:

Utah WD-90.
http://washingtondc.craigslist.org/nva/ele/598612214.html
$25 a pair, $40 for two pairs. Seemingly ok condition, don't know anything about the condition of the drivers because the grills are stapled on.

Realistic Mach 2 http://washingtondc.craigslist.org/nva/ele/599702660.html
$60. They have pretty good reviews, but I haven't corresponded with the owner and don't know the condition/ originality of the drivers. Your replies will help me decide whether i should find out. What are the dimensions on these?
The following is a site that's selling them for $500: http://www.oaktreeent.com/Stereo_Speakers.htm

"The large advents"
http://washingtondc.craigslist.org/mld/ele/598712072.html
$75. I think these are the original large advents, but I'm not sure. I don't know whether they're real walnut or just vinyl. They have some small tears on a woofer that the owner says can be easily fixed. He doesn't say they need refoaming, but original large advents sometimes do, right?

Advent A3
http://washingtondc.craigslist.org/nva/ele/600376599.html
$100. These are walnut, near mint condition. I haven't spoken to the owner about the condition/ originality of the drivers or whether they need refoaming.
They are a bit of a drive away. A3's are juts "the new large advents" right? What are the dimensions on these?

thanks, bluecanoe7

the large advents!!!!
 
thanks. which large advents should I go for?
how big are the "new large advents"? those A3's are "new large advents", right?

BTW, there's also a set of Boston Acoustics A100's on craigslist for $100-http://washingtondc.craigslist.org/nva/ele/599411923.html

They're too big for me, but how do they compare to the advents?
-bluecanoe7
 
Those Boston A100's are a nice set of speakers as well. They are a little taller and wider than the Advents but are shallower. The Boston has that great sounding 1" soft dome tweeter they used for years, too. Both would make exceptional sounding speakers at that kind of money. That would be a hard choice if I had to make the decision but you won't go wrong on either one you choose.
 
I doubt $75 Large Advents are still around at this point in a market like DC, but if they are, I'd go for them or the A3s. I love Advents, and you won't find a better pair of speakers in that price range (excepting some great CL steal). I'd go for one of those.
 
The A3s are real walnut. Not sure if they are a variant of the new Large, or if they are smaller.

The Advent Large are Utility cabs, with vinyl walnut pattern veneer.
 
The woofers on the "new" design are metal framed instead of the masonite ring on the original model. The crossovers are different... The "new" models are brighter on the high-end.
 
barter town? sorry, I'm new on AK and have no idea what you're talking about

unfortunately, the guy with the A3's hasn't replied--he may have sold them.
Should I contact the guy with the old large advents?

he says that the tears on the woofers can be fixed with tissue paper and nail polish remover. how is that done?
 
barter town? sorry, I'm new on AK and have no idea what you're talking about

unfortunately, the guy with the A3's hasn't replied--he may have sold them.
Should I contact the guy with the old large advents?

he says that the tears on the woofers can be fixed with tissue paper and nail polish remover. how is that done?

The woofers just need refoamed. They all need it after this long. Barter Town is a section subscribers can post ads. One of our great techs has some for sale. The one year subscription is well worth the $25 IMO.
 
great news--the guy with the A3's replies. he says they're all original, mint condition with minimal use. is that a good deal for $100? i can try to talk him down
 
I haven't got them yet, but I replied to his message. Will probably go give them a listen tomorrow evening. I'll keep you posted.
 
Back
Top Bottom