• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Realistic Nova 8b Rebuild & Crossover Re-Design

I am just starting to rebuild my NOVA 8s. Someone had previously replaced drivers with the wrong ones, 16 Ohm tweeters and one tweeter in series with a mid. They sounded like crap.

I sourced replacement tweeters from Parts Express: Phenolic Ring Tweeter. Recommended by some folks here on AK.

I purchased 4 new Midrange drivers from Simply Speakers, 4 Ohm: Midrange

I kept the stock woofer and I built the VL Mod crossover.

The stock isolation cone fits the new tweeter with a slight mod for the connection terminals. The mids are much larger than the stock drivers with bigger magnets, they really look like a step up over stock with greater power handling capacity.

I want to maintain sound pressure isolation so I designed and 3D printer speaker cups for them to sit in. I will have to modify the openings in the wood to fit them, some may say sacreligious, but I will never sell these so not an issue for me.

I will post photos later today as I start the modifications and assembly. Time will tell how they sound.
 
I did a similar VL type mod on a pair of Nova 7B's another AK'r had done to his pair. It woke them right up.
I replaced the stock electrolytic crossover cap with a polypropylene film cap, used an inductor coil to force the woofer to roll of where it should instead of it running full range like it was, and reversed the phase of the two tweeters along with adding a bypass cap across the woofer. The mods can be easily reversed by bypassing the added coil, clipping out the bypass cap, and swapping the tweeter wires back to being in phase with the woofer.
They sound a lot better now. I also made new grills. I've never been a fan of lattice grills myself.
 

Attachments

  • 20240422_121610.jpg
    20240422_121610.jpg
    175.4 KB · Views: 37
  • 20240507_131125.jpg
    20240507_131125.jpg
    129.1 KB · Views: 32
  • 20240509_082605.jpg
    20240509_082605.jpg
    137.8 KB · Views: 38
  • Nova_7B_Revised_Crossover.jpg
    Nova_7B_Revised_Crossover.jpg
    38.7 KB · Views: 37
I did a similar VL type mod on a pair of Nova 7B's another AK'r had done to his pair. It woke them right up.
I replaced the stock electrolytic crossover cap with a polypropylene film cap, used an inductor coil to force the woofer to roll of where it should instead of it running full range like it was, and reversed the phase of the two tweeters along with adding a bypass cap across the woofer. The mods can be easily reversed by bypassing the added coil, clipping out the bypass cap, and swapping the tweeter wires back to being in phase with the woofer.
They sound a lot better now. I also made new grills. I've never been a fan of lattice grills myself.
Did you hold the new grills on with velcro? I was thinking about ditching the lattice. I have new cloth, or JBL foam might be kind of cool.
 
Did you hold the new grills on with velcro? I was thinking about ditching the lattice. I have new cloth, or JBL foam might be kind of cool.
No, the grill kits I used have pegs. I had to drill holes in the cabinets to put the rubber cups in that hols the pegs.
I've used those grill kits on two other sets of speakers. I pair of Marantz Imperial 6's and Polk Monitor 7's. Both of those pairs came to me without grills. The grill kits and cloth can be found at Parts Express. One grill kit with buying the extra set of corners and cross brace pieces is enough to do two speakers usually. The Imperials are just about the same size as the Nova 8's.
 

Attachments

  • 20240612_125048.jpg
    20240612_125048.jpg
    57 KB · Views: 15
  • 20240307_130411.jpg
    20240307_130411.jpg
    96.9 KB · Views: 15
  • 20240311_094411.jpg
    20240311_094411.jpg
    114.8 KB · Views: 15
  • 20240318_143427.jpg
    20240318_143427.jpg
    89.5 KB · Views: 15
No, the grill kits I used have pegs. I had to drill holes in the cabinets to put the rubber cups in that hols the pegs.
I've used those grill kits on two other sets of speakers. I pair of Marantz Imperial 6's and Polk Monitor 7's. Both of those pairs came to me without grills. The grill kits and cloth can be found at Parts Express. One grill kit with buying the extra set of corners and cross brace pieces is enough to do two speakers usually. The Imperials are just about the same size as the Nova 8's.
That is a nice clean look. Heading to Parts Express website now. I looked, and it looks good but I don't have another $60 to put into these so I will re-cloth the lattice grills as I have the cloth already.

Retired on a fixed income limits funds for toys.

Thanks!
 
Last edited:
That is a nice clean look. Heading to Parts Express website now. I looked, and it looks good but I don't have another $60 to put into these so I will re-cloth the lattice grills as I have the cloth already.

Retired on a fixed income limits funds for toys.

Thanks!
It was kind of more than I wanted to spend on the Nova's. I saw a post where someone replaced the tired dark brown speaker cloth behind the lattice with a nice dark red cloth. It looked really nice. The plastic lattice pieces do unscrew from the grill baffle with the cloth on it.
It would be be a lot cheaper to replace the old cloth than make new grills.
It was worth it to me for the Imperial 6's and Polk Monitor 7's though.
Both pairs sound really good and are keepers for sure. I acually had enough rail pieces left over for the Nova's. I just had to buy new corner and cross brace pieces.
 
That is the route I am taking. I have black cloth from Parts Express and I have them completely taken apart. I sanded the one speaker today and gave it a treatment of Bush Finishing oil. I'll sand and finish the second one tomorrow and while that is drying replace the cloth on both grills, clean the lattice up really good and then start reassembly. I'll have them all done by Friday - then I will see how they sound.

If I like them, I will have 3, 16 Ohm Tweeters and 4, 4 Ohm midranges to sell on FleaBay.
 
Did you hold the new grills on with velcro? I was thinking about ditching the lattice. I have new cloth, or JBL foam might be kind of cool.
I was thinking JBL foam would be cool too but for now I reassembled the lattice grills with new black speaker cloth.
 
Finished the speakers yesterday and they sound great, although I have nothing to compare them too, only what they used to sound like. I am happy with them and the bl;ack grill cloth made them look much nicer, even with the lattice.

I sanded and refinished the walnut veneer, eliminated the plastic plate that had the old terminals and crossover and replaced that with a wood plate and spring terminals.

Next project is a restoration of a set of Optimus 1Bs and an STA-64 as a Christmas present for my daughter. The 1Bs sound great - they just need cosmetic refinishing.
 
I am just starting to rebuild my NOVA 8s. Someone had previously replaced drivers with the wrong ones, 16 Ohm tweeters and one tweeter in series with a mid. They sounded like crap.

I sourced replacement tweeters from Parts Express: Phenolic Ring Tweeter. Recommended by some folks here on AK.

I purchased 4 new Midrange drivers from Simply Speakers, 4 Ohm: Midrange

I kept the stock woofer and I built the VL Mod crossover.

The stock isolation cone fits the new tweeter with a slight mod for the connection terminals. The mids are much larger than the stock drivers with bigger magnets, they really look like a step up over stock with greater power handling capacity.

I want to maintain sound pressure isolation so I designed and 3D printer speaker cups for them to sit in. I will have to modify the openings in the wood to fit them, some may say sacreligious, but I will never sell these so not an issue for me.

I will post photos later today as I start the modifications and assembly. Time will tell how they sound.



Well, I got assembling and never took any photos! Too enthusiastic to get them assembled.
 
Finished the speakers yesterday and they sound great, although I have nothing to compare them too, only what they used to sound like. I am happy with them and the bl;ack grill cloth made them look much nicer, even with the lattice.

I sanded and refinished the walnut veneer, eliminated the plastic plate that had the old terminals and crossover and replaced that with a wood plate and spring terminals.

Next project is a restoration of a set of Optimus 1Bs and an STA-64 as a Christmas present for my daughter. The 1Bs sound great - they just need cosmetic refinishing.
The Nova 7B's I have are the same as the Optimus 1B's other than cosmetics. I had a pair of 1B's years ago. I still have a pair of the smaller Optimus 2B's that are the same as the Nova 6's. They sound pretty good too.
 
Has anybody done a sweep of the woofer and have a graph of the response?
I've just taken the woofer out of the box and checked the factory XO and it it looks like the woofer runs straight with no XO elements at all and if I go ahead with this rebuild I'd like to cross to the midrange a lot lower than 1700Hz
I was never going to use the factory mid & tweeter drivers and I sold them last year. it's just taken me a while to get myself organised
 
Has anybody done a sweep of the woofer and have a graph of the response?
I've just taken the woofer out of the box and checked the factory XO and it it looks like the woofer runs straight with no XO elements at all and if I go ahead with this rebuild I'd like to cross to the midrange a lot lower than 1700Hz
I was never going to use the factory mid & tweeter drivers and I sold them last year. it's just taken me a while to get myself organised
A lot of Realistic speakers just have the woofers running full range, no inductor coil.
One of the speaker designers for Rado Shack was here on AK a few years ago. He explained they had the woofers made to roll off where they wanted them to. So no coil needed. I thought it made a difference for the better adding a coil to the 7B's to force the woofer to roll off. I added crossovers with a coil, and a dome tweeters to a pair of Nova 4's too. The new crossovers crossed over at the same frequency as the original cap RS used as the only crossover componant. They sounded much better also.
 
A lot of Realistic speakers just have the woofers running full range, no inductor coil.
One of the speaker designers for Rado Shack was here on AK a few years ago. He explained they had the woofers made to roll off where they wanted them to. So no coil needed. I thought it made a difference for the better adding a coil to the 7B's to force the woofer to roll off. I added crossovers with a coil, and a dome tweeters to a pair of Nova 4's too. The new crossovers crossed over at the same frequency as the original cap RS used as the only crossover componant. They sounded much better also.

Do you remember what thread he posted to? I must have missed that one. That's pretty cool how AK has such a broad reach.
 
Do you remember what thread he posted to? I must have missed that one. That's pretty cool how AK has such a broad reach.
It was several years ago. It may have been lost when the server had problems back then. The person made some posts in a thread concerning Realistic speakers. He left RS in the early 90's if I remember right. It seemed like he wasnt happy with the direction of the company.
I looked for that thread before myself without any luck sorry.
 
It was several years ago. It may have been lost when the server had problems back then. The person made some posts in a thread concerning Realistic speakers. He left RS in the early 90's if I remember right. It seemed like he wasnt happy with the direction of the company.
I looked for that thread before myself without any luck sorry.

Here you go:


 
Here you go:


There is another thread too. This isn't the one I was thinking of or seen before. Thanks for posting it.
 
Back
Top Bottom