• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Realistic Nova 9s

10BAD10

Member
So I visited my local Salvation Army and saw a pair of Realistic Nova 9s. They were in alright condition and the tag on them said $35. As usual they both had tags and I knew they probably wanted $70 for the set. So after talking to a volunteer really quick she directed me on who was the best person to talk to for a deal. On her advice not only did i get them $35 for the pair I also talked her down to $25. :banana: Got them home, hooked them into my Marantz and everything is a go. Good day. Plus this was all done while I was on the clock at my place of work.:thmbsp:

-David
 
Register to hide this ad
:scratch2: Hmmm, I've never seen the Nova 9's but I have a pair of Nova 10's and they have a rather small driver configuration. 8" woofer and passive radiator, I believe.

I'd be interested to see a picture of the 9's as well. :yes:
 
Not too bad for 25 10 bad. :)

Nice Onk power amp I have an M-504 myself I really like, I'm sure people would interested in hearing about your 508 in the Vintage Solid State forum.

ANyway I am done threadjacking. :)
 
lol yeah my 508 is my pride and joy. Ill have to post some pics in Solid State soon along with the rest of my Onkyo family. Pics of the Novas will come soon as I get to play with them in my next five days off :music:. Specs are as follows:

Nova-9 Three-Way Speaker System
(400-2009) Specifications Faxback Doc. # 38699

Speakers:
Woofer: .................................................... 15 Inches
Magnet Size: ............................................ 4 1/2 lb.
Long Throw Voice Coil: ................................... 2 Inches

Midrange: ................................................... 4 Inches
Type: ........................................................ Cone

Super Tweeter: ...................................... Compression Type
Diaphragm: .......................................... Dome Phenolic

Attenuators (Adjustable): ............................................ Two
Cross-Over Cut: ..................................... 300 Hz and 3 KHz
(For separate Midrange and Tweeter Control)

Frequency Response: ...................................... 20 Hz to 25 KHz

Impedance: ........................................................ 8 Ohms

Power Capability: ............................................... 40 Watts

Dimensions: ...................................... 27 x 20 x 13 1/2 Inches

Weight (Shipping): ............................................... 51 lbs.


(EB 4/2/97)
 
Dealing at the SA!

So they were marked $35 each, and they agreed to $35 for the pair, and THEN you talked them down to $25?

That's some serious bargaining!
 
I had a pair I bought new back in the 70's. They weren't too bad. I never see many show up for sale anywhere. Mine got ripped off with some other stereo gear. My renters insurance paid off pretty decent though.
 
So they were marked $35 each, and they agreed to $35 for the pair, and THEN you talked them down to $25?

That's some serious bargaining!

lol yeah I'm a youngin but I learned how to hagle at a young age from my Mom and uncle because of all the garage sales and swap meats we went to. Even as a little kid thrift shopping was always one of my favorite things to do on a saturday. Almost time to hit my local swap meat today.

-David

p.s. thanks terra for that link to the catalog, it was really cool to see
 
Last edited:
Did you give up those Nova 9's?

Hey 10Bad10

Did you give those Nova 9's up Cause I just found a pair at the Goodwill! They wanted $50 for the pair but I talked them down to $30.00. They are bad a$$! That 15 inch woofer not only makes you feel the BASS it envelopes you!
 
The Nova 9's were my favorite of the early 70's RS speakers. The "20-20k" spec is highly optimistic; I recall seeing the factory spec when I was working at RS during my college years and I think the FR of the entire RS speaker line of that period was measured at something like +/- 10dB. The actual specs are probably comparable to the AR-3 or 3a and the KLH 5, but with a brighter tonal balance. The bigger woofer was more about increasing efficiency than getting lower bass, so the actual bass is similar to what AR and KLH were getting out of 11-12" woofers but with a lot less power required.
 
Last edited:
The 15" woofer in those is very interesting in that the magnet is on the inside of the basket. Seems pretty solid though.
 
The Nova 9's were my favorite of the early 70's RS speakers. The "20-20k" spec is highly optimistic; I recall seeing the factory spec when I was working at RS during my college years and I think the FR of the entire RS speaker line of that period was measured at something like +/- 10dB. The actual specs are probably comparable to the AR-3 or 3a and the KLH 5, but with a brighter tonal balance. The bigger woofer was more about increasing efficiency than getting lower bass, so the actual bass is similar to what AR and KLH were getting out of 11-12" woofers but with a lot less power required.

That rating is actually 20hz-25khz (I was thinking that was a bit high). 40w power-handling. Probably-sound similar to my Wharfedale W60E's (50w per-channel) and the AR3a like you said. I heard the Nova 9's sound great. And he won't need much power to drive them. That's a score (I paid $30 for my pair of Wharfs - Found them on CL - My 1st REAL speaker - I got lucky on that one).

With guitar amps, I used to wonder how a combo-amp with a 15" speaker can sound complex, that is until I heard a certain Vibroverb.
 
Last edited:
That rating is actually 20hz-25khz (I was thinking that was a bit high).
25k rather than 20k probably crosses my line from "optimistic" to "marketing fantasy," although I suppose if you set the tolerances wide enough you can claim just about anything. My guess is that within a reasonble +/- 3 or 5 dB range the actual was from somewhere in the mid-30 Hz range to somewhere around 18-19kHz, which really wasn't too shabby at all except for the fact that everyone else at the time was running around claiming "20-20k." FR numbers in 70's marketing were about as reliable as pre-FTC power claims.
 
Hello All - found a nice pair of Nova 9's good overall condition - $20

Been researching Nova 9 threads and comments here on AK - seems like a mixed bag.

So I shall try again - they worth the $20 and a little TLC?

thanks!
 
Hello All - found a nice pair of Nova 9's good overall condition - $20

Been researching Nova 9 threads and comments here on AK - seems like a mixed bag.

So I shall try again - they worth the $20 and a little TLC?

thanks!
For $20 I wouldn't even think twice. I rarely ever see anything for under $50 around here and most are so so at best. I'd jump on that.
 
Back
Top Bottom