• Please note that Audiokarma will be offline briefly for updates early on Monday morning, September 28th.

Realistic Optimus 5 Vintage Woofers Mystery

gsauther

New Member
I picked up a pair of old Realistic Optimus 5 speakers with some pretty incredible woofers. Heavy cast alum. baskets. Treated surrounds. Pretty good low end response (by ear).

Anyone know who built the drivers in the Optimus line? The EIA code is not one I recognize from anywhere (it says 9522b and 3007Aa Japan). Anyone have any ideas?

Here's a link to a pic:

http://i1.ebayimg.com/07/i/000/a5/91/32ad_3.JPG
 
Last edited:
Register to hide this ad
Welcome to AK Gsauther.

I can't answer your question, but it will be fun to see what transpires here in the thread.

I have a pair of Optimus 5b's....have never had the woofer out so don't know if they are the same. The little 8" woofs in my Nova 6's have the same oval vents, but were stamped steel and had Japan stamped on the magnet along with other part numbers, 8 ohm etc.

The oval vents may be signatory of a certain manufacturer?
 
Many of the drivers (and complete speakers, as well as receivers) were made for Radio Shack by Foster/Fostex. Not saying that's what those are...but it's a possibility.
 
The Realistic 5's designs were initially licensed and built by KLH. Later ones were just licensed.

The woofer on my pair of 5's looks nothing like those.

dew.
 
some had alnico magnets-

6baa1jpglv2.jpg


6af61jpgof9.jpg



135
 
I can't answer your question directly, but wanted to comment on Optimus speakers in general.
I have a pair of Optimus 30's, 10" 2 way. Nice walnut veneered cabinet. Threaded barrels for the machine screws for the woofer; a very nice touch that you don't always find, even in much costlier speakers.

I replaced the woofers (nothing wrong with them) with the exact replacement T/S wise, but with sheilded, 40 oz. magnets. I bought them at PE.

Even though the tweeter is a cone, (they) sound very smooth, not edgy or peaky. They are somewhat directional, but this is good if one uses them as a main pair and sits in the sweet spot. (These are used in a 2 channel bedroom system with a Marantz 140 and 3200. The 140 definitely likes 8 Ohm loads!)

Many 'philes wouldn't even think about listening to these or other RS speaks. But, I think they're missing the point, and a very nice sounding speaker as well!

I bought my pair around '85, and they still look new, and aside from the new woofs, the tweeters have held up just as well.
 
Back
Top Bottom