• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Realistic RCA Cable Replacement/Upgrade

rs732

Active Member
Hello AKers,

I have a Realistic Lab-420 TT that has the RCA cables and the power cord cut off. I replaced the power cord. Also, I attempted to solder new component cables where the original RCA cables were cut. They worked before soldering, but one channel stopped functioning after the soldering. I don't have much more of the original rca wire to risk another soldering attempt. Therefore, i was thinking if i should just solder an RCA type plug to the original cut wires,so i can plug in rca cables.

I seen a post on here before about doing the upgrade,but can't seem to find the post. Does anyone know what this RCA adapter/plug is called? Also,any advice on how to mount the plug/adapter to the turntable?

Thanks AK

You guys are always a big help!
 
Register to hide this ad
I'm not quite sure that I get your question but you have a TT and want to replace the RCAs, right. Whether they were cut off or worn out the solution is generally the same. What I do is buy a 12' video cord (I.e. 3 plugs each end), cut it in half (so I can do 2 TTs and 12' is about the same price as 6'), and attach where thold cords were connected. The third strand I use as a ground as necessary.

If this is not responsive to your issue maybe rephrease the question and I or others will try again.
 
Yes, in your post it sounds like you tried to splice the new cable to the old one and that is not a good idea. The best bet is to open up the turntable and replace the wire from the terminals (or printed circuit board) where the original wires started.

More often than not the break in the old wires is where the cable leaves the body of the turntable anyway, or at least it seems that everytime I try to just solder new RCA plugs on the end I find that there is still a problem so I end up having to replace the whole thing.

Did you splice the power cord? Another bad idea if you did; please replace that entire thing too for your own safety if nothing else.
 
I've never solder onto a circuit board, so I want to avoid doing that. Instead of replacing the wires from the terminals could I just solder an RCA jack to the existing cables and mount the jack to the base of the TT?

My apologies if my question was unclear. I appreciate the help!
 
I've never solder onto a circuit board, so I want to avoid doing that. Instead of replacing the wires from the terminals could I just solder an RCA jack to the existing cables and mount the jack to the base of the TT?

My apologies if my question was unclear. I appreciate the help!

That's ok. We just have to probe sometimes.

You could add RCA jacks to the turntable but soldering to a PCB is not that hard. You could try practicing on some other old gadgets first if you want, like a dead radio or something.

In some respects it is easier than re-soldering a terminal strip or new RCA plugs. The wires will simply rest on the pad in a pool of molten solder, and not be twisted around a terminal or to an untinned (ie new) RCA plug connection.

Check out some YouTube videos and get your iron hot.
 
Back
Top Bottom