• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

realistic sta-120 / sta-12b

mojoe

AK Subscriber
Subscriber
Does anyone know the difference between the Realistic STA-120 and STA-120B receivers?

I have a 120 but can't find a schematic for it. I did however find a schematic for the 120B version. A 120 service manual or schematic would be nice but I've looked around and no luck at all so I'm just hoping the 120B schematic will be more similar than not.
 
Register to hide this ad
I believe they're the same, but the 120 was built with all point-to-point wiring whereas the 120B has PCBs.
 
weird...this sta-120 IS pcb

it's an interesting receiver to me
smallish,seemingly simple tone and power amp boards
powerful sound
I like it (except for the slider volume...ugh)
I'm thinking I'll give it new caps and transistors
it growls with a little distortion with the volume at half up the slide
very sweet sound otherwise
 
I'm in the middle of my recap project and can confirm that even though the STA-120 has PCBs...there is indeed a lot of point-to-point wiring as described by Gnesen. Coupled with the fact that I can't seem to source a schematic/service manual for this unit, makes the work a bit more difficult.

I've replaced all the SC458 transistors and all e-caps on the pre/tone/amp boards. Now the left channel is very clean and strong but the right channel is quite week. Signal passes through to the speaker but is not amplified...clean but very low volume. I'm going to trace voltages around marking wherever the right channel differs from left. There also some old metal can transistors on the amp board. I think I'll find replacements for them too.

Sure wish I had a schematic or service manual to help me.

I'll say one thing for this receiver though, the solder pads are all thick and solid.
 
Does anyone know the difference between the Realistic STA-120 and STA-120B receivers?

I have a 120 but can't find a schematic for it. I did however find a schematic for the 120B version. A 120 service manual or schematic would be nice but I've looked around and no luck at all so I'm just hoping the 120B schematic will be more similar than not.

Do you have the detailed service manual for the STA120B?
 
Hint: The STA-120B is manufactured by Hitachi for Radio Shack. It was the smaller version of the STA-180.

In the STA-180 all of the boards are similar to another Hitachi receiver from the same time frame.

Can you post some pictures of the STA-120 layout and boards?
 
Reviving an old thread here. I'm still unclear as to the difference between these two is. It's not the circuit board vs point to point: I have an STA-120 no suffix that is circuit board. Definitely Hitachi as their name and symbol are all over the inside. A look on ebay shows no outward difference but I've yet to see a shot of the innards. Any insight is much appreciated.
 
Back
Top Bottom