• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Realistic STA-200, Please Help

SpinninTimmy

Active Member
Hi, everybody!
I just bought an old Realistic STA-200. I wasn't paying attention and thought it was an STA-2000, which it wasn't. But, I decided to keep it, as several sources rated it at 160 watts, which should be plenty for me. (Is that 80 watts per channel? This was not explained )
Turns out I can't find any reliable info on it. Does this unit have a built in preamp for a turntable? What's the actual power rating in WPC?
Set has a broken plastic speaker wire clip. Is this an easy fix?
Overall impressions of performance?
Where can I get a service manual?
Users manual?
Recommend speakers or turntable?
Impulse buy, but I'm a sucker for the early 70's full rich sound.
Thanks, all!
 
Register to hide this ad
Per the service manual, this receiver is rated at 30 watts per channel, RMS, into 8Ω, both channels driven. Yes, it has a phono preamp, almost every pre-surround-sound receiver does. The speaker wire clips look pretty standard, so replacement should be relatively trivial once you get inside. You'll have to do some measurements to get a matching terminal strip, though (I don't know if the clips are individually replaceable).

BTW, apparently this receiver originally came with a remote, although it's unclear what it would have controlled other than volume.

ETA: looks like it had tuning presets, so probably radio stations.
 
Last edited:
Regarding suggesting speakers, your best bet to see what is available for sale locally and then do some research (or ask here) to see if they will work well with your receiver. Most will; 30 watts is plenty for the majority of vintage speakers.
 
It's possible that this might be a good replacement for the broken speaker clip. Without knowing the measurements, it's impossible to be sure. The type that were originally used (see below) are no longer made. Or, if you are only planning on using one pair of speakers with the receiver, you can just connect your speakers to the unbroken output (either A or B).

1689259858547.png
 
Per the service manual, this receiver is rated at 30 watts per channel, RMS, into 8Ω, both channels driven. Yes, it has a phono preamp, almost every pre-surround-sound receiver does. The speaker wire clips look pretty standard, so replacement should be relatively trivial once you get inside. You'll have to do some measurements to get a matching terminal strip, though (I don't know if the clips are individually replaceable).

BTW, apparently this receiver originally came with a remote, although it's unclear what it would have controlled other than volume.

ETA: looks like it had tuning presets, so probably radio stations.
Thanks, that helps quite a bit.
 
Regarding suggesting speakers, your best bet to see what is available for sale locally and then do some research (or ask here) to see if they will work well with your receiver. Most will; 30 watts is plenty for the majority of vintage speakers.
Much appreciated!
 
It's possible that this might be a good replacement for the broken speaker clip. Without knowing the measurements, it's impossible to be sure. The type that were originally used (see below) are no longer made. Or, if you are only planning on using one pair of speakers with the receiver, you can just connect your speakers to the unbroken output (either A or B).

View attachment 2932258
Thanks!
 
I just bought an old Realistic STA-200. ..Where can I get a service manual?, Users manual?
See post #14

 
Back
Top Bottom