• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Realistic V15 RS cartridge paired with a Pfanstiehl 4778DE stylus

ricercar

New Member
Has anyone had a successful experience pairing a Realistic V15 RS cartridge and Pfanstiehl 4778DE stylus?

I pulled my turntable from storage, and among the debris, I ended up with two Realistic V15 RS from RadioShack: one with an original stylus and one with no stylus. I bought a Pfanstiehl 4778DE stylus from eBay from a vendor who specifically identified the V15 RS as compatible ("NEEDLE STYLUS FOR SHURE Shure N105E SHURE M105E V15-RS 4778-DE"). Yet, at installation, the 4778DE seemed to require excessive pressure to insert the cantilever into the V15 RS cartridge, so much force that I'm uncertain whether the stylus is really compatible with the innards of the cartridge. Although it sounded OK on the one album side I played, I find that I'm hesitant to touch any more vinyl with it.

Oh, great knowledgeable community, can I get a strong assurance it's OK, or a firm warning it's not OK?
 
Register to hide this ad
I find that I'm hesitant to touch any more vinyl with it.
you are right to feel uneasy about those cheap needles. The V15 RS is a very nice sounding cartridge and deserves a better stylus than the Pfanstiehl.

This is a much better option....

 
if you have a tight budget, these will work...



 
Have you looked at past AK threads? Here is one:

 
Yes, I scoured the past posts here and elsewhere for a few hours. I'm like that poster you referenced: "I consumed ... pages of information about the V15RS and I am still not 100% sure what to buy." I finally bought the Pfanstiehl because the manufacturer specifically calls out the V15 RS, unlike the other stylus manufacturers I've researched. I was content, but now that I have one in person, I'm wary due to the insertion force required.
 
Yes, I scoured the past posts here and elsewhere for a few hours. I'm like that poster you referenced: "I consumed ... pages of information about the V15RS and I am still not 100% sure what to buy." I finally bought the Pfanstiehl because the manufacturer specifically calls out the V15 RS, unlike the other stylus manufacturers I've researched. I was content, but now that I have one in person, I'm wary due to the insertion force required.
you could try crimping the brass tube of the stylus slightly to see if you can get it to insert a little easier. id honestly rather have one that was snug than loose and wiggling around.
 
I finally bought the Pfanstiehl because the manufacturer specifically calls out the V15 RS
Pfanstiehl, or any other low-end aftermarket supplier does not offer styli to the exact specifications of the V15 RS, they only adjust the plastic housing to fit the cartridge. They are for the most part "one design fits all" operations.
 
The v15rs is identical to the v15xmr, except that it has a hyperelliptical tip rather than a microridge. They both featured a beryllium cantilever which raised the resonant frequency of the stylus to above 20khz, thus out of the range of hearing, resulting in a flat response. An aluminum cantilever will resonate within the normal range of hearing, probably resulting in a brighter sound. They don't make be cantilevers anymore, so your best bet is to try to find a new old stock one or a used one. I have 5 of those carts and 3 original styli, but they are very rare now. Of course, you might like the brighter sound. That doesn't help with your fitment problem, however. But like I said, you can also use a v15xmr stylus if you can find one. Good luck.
 
The v15rs is identical to the v15xmr, except that it has a hyperelliptical tip rather than a microridge. They both featured a beryllium cantilever which raised the resonant frequency of the stylus to above 20khz, thus out of the range of hearing, resulting in a flat response. An aluminum cantilever will resonate within the normal range of hearing, probably resulting in a brighter sound. They don't make be cantilevers anymore, so your best bet is to try to find a new old stock one or a used one. I have 5 of those carts and 3 original styli, but they are very rare now. Of course, you might like the brighter sound. That doesn't help with your fitment problem, however. But like I said, you can also use a v15xmr stylus if you can find one. Good luck.
Or get a retip
 
The v15rs is identical to the v15xmr, except that it has a hyperelliptical tip rather than a microridge. They both featured a beryllium cantilever which raised the resonant frequency of the stylus to above 20khz, thus out of the range of hearing, resulting in a flat response. An aluminum cantilever will resonate within the normal range of hearing, probably resulting in a brighter sound.
99.9% of us mortals would never hear a difference between an aluminum and beryllium cantilever in our home systems.
 
99.9% of us mortals would never hear a difference between an aluminum and beryllium cantilever in our home systems.
:oops: not all of us have lost our high frequency hearing. many of these aftermarket styli with aluminum cantilevers (jico included) have a 3-4db peak in the highs that may not be present in an oem shure stylus. thats pretty audible unless youve lost your sensitivity to highs. my wife has lost her highs starting around 10k. because of that, audio technica carts that many describe as "bright" sound "dark" to her. the presence dip before the high end peak makes the music sound muffled to her compared to a flat shure.
 
In what frequencies exactly?
heres a sample i currently own. i usually sell stuff off and the only other jico i have other than this one is a pmount sas for the large shank carts. These are plots of an m97xe with the oem stylus and the jico bonded elliptical (the precursor stylus before the nude series came out). the jico is constructed similarly to the oem (aluminum cantilever, tie wire, bonded elliptical, damping brush) but sounds considerably different. ive got a sas/s on the way that im looking forward to checking out on the different bodies with varying inductance that i have.

Jico-
m97xe less wear.png
oem-
m97xe wear.png
 
interesting

what do you attribute the rise in frequency to?
im not really qualified to say as the little i know has come from gleaning the posts of dlaloum, jp, thomas a, and a handful of other technically knowledgeable contributors across the different forums. if i understand correctly though, i believe its a combination of the mechanical resonance of the cantilever and the damping, or lack thereof, in the suspension? maybe someone can explain more definitively.
 
what equipment and software do you use?
all the info on how to get this up and running is available over on audiosciencereview
 
Back
Top Bottom