• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Reasons to keep scratched vinyl?

I got some records that are very scratched up, but I still listen to them regularly. I tend not to play them on my good turntable though, unless I'm dubbing them onto a tape or something.

I have a BSR changer, which I mainly use for playing less than stellar LPs, and 78s.
I do play some good vinyl on it though, but not too often.

I even have 2 sets of styluses for it... one's for playing diecent LPs, and another one that's not as immaculate, I use for scratchy and groove damaged vinyl, and the flip-side of both styluses have the wide groove one for playing 78s.

It's just too bad the headshell doesn't come off too easily though, because I do have a second headshell and cart for it.


On my good turntable, i wanna do what my friend does... he has a second headshell and cart, and he only swaps to the better one when dubbing LPs.
I'd like to have a second headshell/cart/stylus, so i can play scratchy LPs on my good turntable.


Besides, i got some really good stuff on scratched/groove damaged vinyl. Like my copy of the Byrds album, Mr. Tambourine Man... it's very groove damaged and is a mono pressing, which means it's most likely been played on some cheap little portable POS, or a very old turntable with a heavy tonearm and a bad stylus.
But whoever had it originally must have got a lot of enjoyment out of it, considering how many times it looks like it's been played.
(One very interesting thing though, the new stylus I have for the BSR bypasses a lot of the groove damage, while my good TT ploughs right through the damaged area. Yet another reason to own a cheap TT... I suggest everyone own a BSR to play less than stellar LPs on; scratched/groove damaged/warped (BSR changers can handle LPs with even the most ungodly warps in them, due to the fact that the tonearm is so high up at the base, to accomodate a stack of records), LPs and 45s, for playing 78s, etc. And the styluses are extremely inexpensive, and all the mechanisms are easy to repair, and very reliable. Sure they're not good as an everyday TT, but a well maintained one would serve you well. Even if it doesn't sound like an original master tape, and make every record you listen to sound like someone was using a dishwasher in the recording studio (stylus picking up the motor noise).
Just put a mat on them because the plastic 10" platter will leave a wear ring on your LPs.

I get a lot of heat for owning a BSR, but hey, I stand by BSR when I want a reliable record changer. Garrards are overrated crap with unreliable mechanisms and crappy motors.)
 
Last edited:
I have three reasons for keeping scratched vinyl:
1. Replacement cost would be too high
or
2. Sentimental value
or
3. Not available on CD
 
Being relatively new to vinyl and the fact that 95% of my lps came from thrift store I am pretty lucky to have obtained pretty decent shape vinyl.If it is scratchy somewhat they get played on the third TT.Looking for a fourth string tt for some of the worse lps and the idea of listening from another room sounds real good. Keep in mind this is for first and second time listening.After that it will be given back to the thrift
 
Some of them are out of print or hard to find.

Sometimes I may have several copies and copy and consolidate the good tracks.

I'll archive them to CD-R so I don't have play them again and risk further damage to the needle. Depending on the degree of skipping, warpage or damage, I may use an old stylus for this.

I may put a thin layer of oil over the scratch if it's really bad to try and help dull the clicking then wash it off. Put it away and fughgetaboutit.

What kind of oil? I would be very careful about putting oil on records. Most oils are really bad for a lot of "rubber" platter mat materials. The mat on a Lenco that I bought had been RUINED by a guy who thought putting oil on it would help its dryness. He managed to make it completely stiff, bubbly and crackly, like some Frankensteinian experiment gone all wrong. On a much smaller scale, you might be risking the same thing.



I agree with most of what has been said in this thread. I try not to keep scratched records, but if the scratches are very minor/superficial and I can safely play through them with a given stylus, I'll put up with a few from time to time. Virtually all my slightly-scratched records --and there are relatively few of them-- came in bulk by-the-box purchases. I never pay higher store prices for anything with a visible scratch, unless it is a VERY minor scratch on a VERY desirable LP.

Otherwise, scratched LPs get donated. After reading this thread, I know why there are so many scratched records showing up in thrift shops... :D

As for keeping covers, I deliberately bought an empty cover once, just in case I one day find the records for the inside, with a battered cover to swap. Admittedly, the guy heavily discounted the price, once I showed him that there were no LPs inside. :D In case you're wondering, the LP cover was "The Beatles Live! At the Star Club Hamburg Germany 1962". A local store has it in a decent cover, but I don't want to pay their price, especially since I already have the cover! :D
 
i wish i had some scratched vinyl to worry about. 2.5 years ago my house burned down and i lost over 300 albums and many pounds of press kits, photos magazines etc. i had every single album that grand funk railroad ever made, still sealed. some in multiple copies. and some of them autographed by the original 3-some. i also had beautiful black and white photos of them when they worked with frank zappa and todd rundgren. i wanna ****in cry..............
 
I would keep scratched vinyl depending on how many tracks were scratched. I have no problem with having more than one copy of a record if together they make up one good unscratched copy (side 1 good on this one, side 2 good on this other one). If, however, I find a copy that is entirely unscratched, then scratched copy goes to trash.
 
i have lots of obscure vinyl i haven't even seen a second copy, much less a scratched copy. those i hold onto.

im currently in the process of ripping my record collection. i bought a highend sound card and am truly amazed how good the rips are sounding. once im done, 75% or so of the records will be sold off. most for $1 each.

for the really scratchy ones, i've been playing them wet and that helps alot. increasing needle weight has helped also. i only need to get one good pass am im done with them.

others have mentioned editing the clicks out. that works well but can be quite time consuming. i use audacity and can zoom into the singe click and lob it off. play the track back and you'd be hardpressed to know it happened.

i think i'll be keeping most of my 78's. the really bad ones could make cool wall decor.
 
Life is too short, I ditched about 80 of my wife's that were scratched like crazy. How she could listen to them like that I'll never know.
 
Back
Top Bottom