• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Received my Sony TAE-5450 pre-amp: some inside pics

Oilmaster

Sonycus Peritum
Last weekend I received my latest purchase for my growing VFET family (this pre-amp is not a VFET design). Because I couldn't find much inside pictures of this model on the web, I thought of putting some up here for your coffee break.

The owner delivered it himself free of charge, living 500km from my place. I bought this pre-amp out of a collection, though single... Now I need to find (and buy) the missing counterpart TAN-5550 power amp. :D.

Still sounds ok, but I guess some recap wouldn't harm. If anyone has some more experience with this model, or has in use, what do you think of it?

Note, it's only rated 9W...

TAE-5450pic01.jpg
 
Last edited:
Register to hide this ad
Correct me if I am wrong once again, but I thought the pre amps of the series were not vfet designs.

I do own a TAE 8450.
 
Last edited:
Correct me if I am wrong once again, but I thought the pre amps of the series were not vfet designs.

I do own a TEA 8450.

You are correct, they are not VFET design, but for me it belongs to the 'VFET family' as being the pre-amp associated to the TAN-5550. I wished I could find a TEA 8450 or 8650 for a reasonable price. It seems there is no limit at this moment.
 
I have the matching set of 5450/5550 that I bought new in '79. They were my only system for almost 20 yrs, when they were displaced by a Sony ES HT receiver to the upstairs bedroom, where they saw little use over the last 10 yrs. I recently decided to move them down to the basement system which gets the most use nowadays.

The pre-amp has developed a noticeable distortion that I haven't been able to correct as of yet. I'm not skilled in working on any electronics but that unit is so easy to work on... everything seems to be connected with plug-in cables and simple hardware... even the plugs are numbered for easy re-connection.

I've been on the quest to find the matching 3950 or 4950 tuner and an appropriate turntable to complete the system pictured in my avatar. Already have the R2R.
 
Yes it seems it is easy to work on. I got an original service manual and will do a rebuild as far as necessary. In your case, perhaps a qualified technician could debug yours?

I found and bought the matching tuner ST-5950SD with it 2 weeks ago (top model above the ST4950), but can only pick it up in a month or so. The owner gave me a ST-3950 with it, you could have it if but it is probably more expensive to ship it to the US than you buy one yourself in the US. They are for sale on fleabay.us frequently.

What about the matching tape decks, TC-K7 or TC-k8, very nice as well. But honestly, I have no cassettes at all. They are a bit expensive for decoration only....
 
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom