• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Receiver/Amp Shoot-Out Winner: Luxman R-117, Beauty on the Inside

Shug451

Sansui Low-Powered Amp Guy
It’s been a fun several years of Receiver/Amp Shoot-Outs here in the WPBB (Wood-Paneled Baltimore Basement). We’ve had some good competitors the last few months, but there’s one receiver that has risen to the top. Yes, the Luxman R-117. This may not come as a surprise to many of you. The Lux is generally regarded as one of the best ever made – or at least the best of the ‘80s. Here’s what the ol’ Lux has bested the last several years:

Receivers
Marantz 2270
Pioneer SX-5570 (import version of the SX-950)
Luxman R-1120
Sansui 9090

Amps/Preamps/Integrated
Yamaha M4 power amp/Blair Chapman Tube Preamp
Proton D1200 power amp/Audible Illusions Modulus 1 preamp
Sansui AU-7500

All of this equipment had been serviced and was operating up to spec, except for the Luxman R-1120.

My problem is that every one of these worthy competitors bests the Luxman R-117 in the looks department. By A LOT! I enjoy the aesthetic appeal of vintage audio equipment almost as much as the audio, and I have a hard time sitting in my listening room while looking at the bland ‘80s-styling of the Lux. I’ve even come to just turning on the Proton with its beautiful big green VUs, so I have something interesting to look at. Is that so wrong?!

The other amazing thing about the Luxman is that it was less expensive than any of these other combos, except for the Sansui AU-7500.

So, I’d like to take a moment to hail this fine receiver. You may be ugly on the outside, but you’re beautiful within.


And Now, the Fine Print…
The rest of my set-up includes a Thorens TD-160, Pro-Ject Tube Box DS, and Pioneer DSS-7 speakers. I will say that when I didn’t use the Pro-Ject as a phono pre, the Luxman still had one of the best—if not the best—built-in phono stages. (The one on the Marantz had been completely rebuilt and did sound pretty darn good, as did the AI Modulus.)

I’ve also owned the Luxman R-115, which also trumped most of the receivers but not necessarily the separates. The sound from the R-115 wasn’t quite as full as the from the R-117 and on my particular example, the phono stage wasn’t as good. Still, the R-115, which can be found for less than 200 bucks, is probably one of the best deals in used audio. If you can tolerate its looks!
 
Register to hide this ad
No argument here...I've had the pleasure of my R-117 since I bought it in '89...and I just got another one today in fact.

Now if I could only find someone to restore them one at a time...but its like pulling teeth to find reputable service for these.

Too bad I just moved from Germantown Md last year after 40+ years...we could have compared notes in person. Enjoy Shug451.
 
No argument here...I've had the pleasure of my R-117 since I bought it in '89...and I just got another one today in fact.

Now if I could only find someone to restore them one at a time...but its like pulling teeth to find reputable service for these.

Too bad I just moved from Germantown Md last year after 40+ years...we could have compared notes in person. Enjoy Shug451.

Hello, LHorn. Wow, two R-117s. Did you find the new one locally? I'm originally from Pennsylvania, but I admit that I had to google "Montoursville."
If you're looking for service for your Lux, you might want to try John Wargo at Wargo Electronics: http://wargoselectronics.com/. He's in Marion Heights, Pa -- about an hour from Montoursville. I haven't actually used him for service, but I've had several conversations with him. He seems to know his stuff. There are several threads on AK about his fine work. Last time I talked to him, he sounded pretty swamped, but at least you have two R-117s, so you won't have to be without one while you wait.
 
Yeah the new one came from upstate NY..not too bad. I was born and raised in Pa too...moved to Md when I was 17...bought homes...raised kids...came home to die. LOL

I had Wargo's saved on Google earth so I must have checked it out at on time...if I remember right they was moving or something like that. I will call them..that would be great as I can drive there and save the shipping horrors. Thx for the link.
 
Back
Top Bottom