• Please note that Audiokarma will be offline briefly for updates early on Monday morning, September 28th.

Receivers/Amp with 2 Phono inputs....

brucered

Well-Known Member
are amps like the sansui au-417 and receivers like the Pioneer SX-850 and similar with 2 phono inputs to be used with 2 turntables?

i'm looking to hook up 1 receiver and 2 turntables (not for dj'ing, just because i have 2) and run them separately, but leave them both connected.

the TT's i have are a sansui sr-222 and a dual 506

is this possible?
 
Register to hide this ad
Most of the Pioneers above the mid level models have two phono inputs. Both will be for MM carts. Including

Receivers

SX-838
SX-850
SX-939
SX-950
SX-980
SX-1010
SX-1050
SX-1080
SX-1250
SX-1280
SX-1500TD (actually has 3 but one is for ceramic carts)
SX-1980
SX-9000

Could be others These I know for sure.

Amps

SA-700 (one for MM one for LOMC)
SA-800 (one for MM one for LOMC)
SA-900 (one for MM one for LOMC)
SA-8100
SA-9100
SA-8500
SA-8800
SA-9500
SA-9800
SA-9900
QX-949

And again there maybe more these I know for sure allow for two phono's to be connected at one time and switched between them.
 
Just make sure that they both have the correct input level for your cartridge.
I had a receiver with two but one was ceramic and one was magnetic.
 
In addition to a few of the Pioneer models listed above, I own two other integrated amps with two phono inputs, a Pioneer A-27 that needs repair (has a switch for MC/MM and knobs for impedance and capacitance loading), and my Gold Star GSA-8510 (which has a sensitivity knob):

attachment.php
 
Also the higher end Yamaha CR receivers, like CR-820 has two. Make sure that you use shorting plugs though on the one you are not using.
 
The Kenwood KR-9600 actually has two phono amplifers in it...a bipolar differential input amp, and a FET input amp. Pretty uncommon.
 
The Kenwood KR-9600 actually has two phono amplifers in it...a bipolar differential input amp, and a FET input amp. Pretty uncommon.

OT: Since you probably have worked on this before. Did you hear any difference between the two in the same receiver? Which would sound better to you?
 
I run a Yamaha CA-1000 integrated amp (circa 1973) with (2) phono inputs. Phono 1 can run MM and MC via a switch and Phono 2 runs MM. Personally, I'd like to be able to run 3 tables. I'm considering a separate Phono Preamp to run through my spare Aux input.
 
Back
Top Bottom