jhoyt
Incomprehensible space llama
Howdy all,
I just drug home a pair of ADS 1290's for the paltry sum of $80.
I think I got the deal of the decade, but we'll see. They're not perfect, for sure, so herein lies my questions.
1. One tweeter protection fuse was blown, which according to the owner's manwell means that someone pushed them really hard. I replaced the fuse (both, actually), but is there anything else I need to look for or be concerned about if these apparently have been pushed hard?
2. Related to above, there is also a very slight hash coming from the dome mid of the same speaker as had the blown fuse. Most of the time it's not noticeable, but on soft piano music I can hear it. Would it help to recenter and reseat the driver's diaphragm, or is that verboten?
3. The diaphragms were dented in a little on the other speaker's mid and tweet. I tried working the dent out, but as soon as I got it out it would "suck" back in. Are these domes pressurized? These speakers were originally from about sea level, and I'm about 4,500 feet. Is there anything to this?
4. Lastly, the grilles are in tough shape. I would like to use them (to augment the WAF), but they're kind of bent up, and the grille attachment deelybobbers are starting to pull through the metal grilles. Any advice on repairing these, or fabricating new ones?
All that being said, these are unbelievably amazing speakers (imho). The first thing that came on after I hooked them up and took care of some initial problems was "live" choral music, and it was scary real. I've read they're not very efficient, and I can tell my amp is pushing a little harder, but it seems to result in extremely controlled and authoritative sound.
I'm a west coast guy who's fallen hard for east coast speakers!
I just drug home a pair of ADS 1290's for the paltry sum of $80.
I think I got the deal of the decade, but we'll see. They're not perfect, for sure, so herein lies my questions.
1. One tweeter protection fuse was blown, which according to the owner's manwell means that someone pushed them really hard. I replaced the fuse (both, actually), but is there anything else I need to look for or be concerned about if these apparently have been pushed hard?
2. Related to above, there is also a very slight hash coming from the dome mid of the same speaker as had the blown fuse. Most of the time it's not noticeable, but on soft piano music I can hear it. Would it help to recenter and reseat the driver's diaphragm, or is that verboten?
3. The diaphragms were dented in a little on the other speaker's mid and tweet. I tried working the dent out, but as soon as I got it out it would "suck" back in. Are these domes pressurized? These speakers were originally from about sea level, and I'm about 4,500 feet. Is there anything to this?
4. Lastly, the grilles are in tough shape. I would like to use them (to augment the WAF), but they're kind of bent up, and the grille attachment deelybobbers are starting to pull through the metal grilles. Any advice on repairing these, or fabricating new ones?
All that being said, these are unbelievably amazing speakers (imho). The first thing that came on after I hooked them up and took care of some initial problems was "live" choral music, and it was scary real. I've read they're not very efficient, and I can tell my amp is pushing a little harder, but it seems to result in extremely controlled and authoritative sound.
I'm a west coast guy who's fallen hard for east coast speakers!