I heard Grados are not shielded and therefore do not work well with direct drive, as the cartridge moves closer to the motor?? Do you notice any interference related noise of the cartridge picking up the electromagnetics of the motor?I used a Grado Green with 8MZ stylus when I had an SL-1200. With the KAB fluid damper, it was a very nice combo that would come in within your budget.
I heard Grados are not shielded and therefore do not work well with direct drive, as the cartridge moves closer to the motor?? Do you notice any interference related noise of the cartridge picking up the electromagnetics of the motor?
The new GR and G there is no issue at all. The older sl1200mk2 again no issues Technics motors are shielded, but on the last production of the mk2 the TRANSFORMER is not shielded well so with those a slight hum unless you relocate the transformer or add (well worth it ) a Kab external psu.I heard Grados are not shielded and therefore do not work well with direct drive, as the cartridge moves closer to the motor?? Do you notice any interference related noise of the cartridge picking up the electromagnetics of the motor?
The brightness you describe, I perceive as the cart just getting everything out of the groove there is to get in the high frequency arena. Experiments with "Classic Hauser" an HDR recording on LP, CD, Apple Music Download, and 24/96 FLAC Download suggests the VM540ML is delivering a performance absolutely indistinguishable in most manner, including tone, from the other aforementioned digital means to music from my system. I have two other carts which get virtually the same result: Shure V15V-MR and Shure V15V/Jico SAS-B. At any rate, there are folks here who associate the VM540ML's performance plateau with a proper phono stage and interconnects. My vinyl playback kit consists of a Technics SL-1210GR, Technics Interconnects, and Parasound P6's phono stage, which seem to juxtapose well with the VM540ML for the results I am getting, with the Cartridge set to Technics tracking error scheme and VTA setting. I now have about 70 hours on the cart and I am very, very pleased with it. Overall, it presents an airy sound stage that makes me have a reason to prefer vinyl over other music formats.Again, thanks everyone for their recommendations and input. I decided to go with the AT VM540ML and have it installed. After making all the table/arm adjustments I have put approximately 5 hours of listening on it and it appears to be everything I wanted...slight brightness, nice sound stage and depth. I will most likely be trying one or more of the other recommended cartridges but have four other tables that I'm working on upgrading cartridges including Denon DP-62L and DP-47F units and Marc Morin modified AR-XA and AR-ES1 beauties.
View attachment 1247249
View attachment 1247250
View attachment 1247251
Sl 1200 works very well with tracking pressures between 2 and 5 grams. Notice I didn't say superbly, excellently or other positive descriptions. The arm was designed to be used by knuckle headed gorillas, DJ's, on later updated versions during very adverse conditions with a modicum of failures. They were fairly dependable and the chassis isolated the table from unwanted loud acoustic interference. Lot of folks believe belt driven tables are a better simpler solution for home use. They will definitely last longer and only require a few drops of oil and a belt once in a while. When A SL1200 develops a head ache there are no simple cures. Would I consider a new SL-1200 G? Sure, But, with a different tone arm. My favorite DD table is still the SL 10 MK III with a Graham tone arm. I do want to audition the new SL 1000R. But if I had to spend that kind of money I would prefer a pre owned SME. I'm still basically an old fashioned traditionalist,who prefers linear tone arms. If they can allow Ortofons to track records they couldn't on SM E arms and my 20X2 to track the 90 band on my Ortofon test record at 2. 3 grams then I consider linear arms the best solution. Having a cartridge with a Fine line or Micro-ridge stylus helps reduce wear spreading the force over a larger vertical surface, while following the profile of the LP very accurately.Something an elliptical or spherical profile can't do. I know the new Technics can strain a budget and an SME will break a budget. But their are deals to be had. Just keep saving your money until the opportunity comes
Sooo.. which cart though?