• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Recommend a good vintage CD player

Since you're asking, here's my opinion. None of em'. From experience, as players get older the rubber transport isolation parts start to harden, and skip easily from external vibration. I've had a couple rather expensive players do this over the years. If really wanting vintage, I wouldn't buy one without auditioning it live with a few knuckle wrap's on the case top and sides. Could save you lot's of hassel.
 
However, the availability of spare parts like replacement laser assemblies is important.

There are many excellent vintage CDPs to be suggested: Denon DCD-XXXX (with XXXX any integer number, the largest the better), Cambridge Audio CD 4 SE, Philips/Magnavox players made in Belgium in the 80's and the Sony ES series. The latter has the issue of laser pickup availability. Some of the Denons suffer from the same problem (DCD-1500) but not all (for example, the DCD-1650G -Japan internal market- uses a easily available Sony laser pickup). The Cambridge Audio uses a Philips laser pickup that is easily available too. Given a CDP under consideration, it would be a good idea to check the laser pickup model, for example, from this list:

http://www.dutchaudioclassics.nl/the_complete_d_a_dac_converter_list/

The KSS models are Sony models. Then, by googling the laser pickup model one gets a quick idea of its availability.
 
IMHO a Rotel RCD-855 or RCD-951 would be hard to beat and they can be picked up at very reasonable prices......

I'm surprised it took so long for someone to mention the older Rotel decks. I also have a RCD-855 in my bedroom system and it sounds fantastic. I paid about $75 for it 3 or 4 years ago.
 
I would avoid any Magnavox / Phillips CD players from the '90's and earlier. The lasers in those are approaching end of life, and you have to replace the entire CDM unit to the tune of $200, if it's even available.
 
I would avoid any Magnavox / Phillips CD players from the '90's and earlier. The lasers in those are approaching end of life, and you have to replace the entire CDM unit to the tune of $200, if it's even available.

yup and that unfortunately includes the 90's rotel's too...as good as they were,they use the Philips cdm4/19 swing-arm...which AFAIK is no longer made and getting very hard to find...cannibalizing lesser units that still work is quickly becoming the only way to repair these players,luckily there were many cheap players that also used the cdm4/19 that are viable donors...but they're also equally long in the tooth and getting rare too
 
I would avoid any Magnavox / Phillips CD players from the '90's and earlier. The lasers in those are approaching end of life, and you have to replace the entire CDM unit to the tune of $200, if it's even available.
"dr's" pretty much got that nailed. The players mentioned in my earlier post's are Denon 1520, and Phillips 950. Ended up scrapping out the 1520, with the the 950's serving basement duty, but pretty much scrap too. As mentioned, don't buy a player, unless you can audition it live.
 
The original Sony Playstation (early models only) has received high praise from the high-end audio publications as being competitive with $6000 CD players.

I have one and it sounds better than any other source I've tried... which admittedly aren't many.
 
I very much like the Calif Audio Tercet line of CD players, I have 3 of them and these are my main units. never had a problem with either of them, The oldest one I have had since 93 when it was new. I also have a Rotel 1072 unit that sounds great but req'd a lens replacment 2 months ago. $300.00 Great sounding units. Happy hunting.:thmbsp:
 
Last edited:
Did I just get lucky or what? My JVC XL-V151 was purchased off of the Bay for just over $20 shipped. It is in very good condition, plays all CDs including scratched ones and CD-Rs and doesn't seem to have any skipping issues from vibration either.

I believe that JVC got it right even though their players don't cost an arm and a leg. And for $20 it wouldn't be a big deal if it does eventually fail. So I am of the opinion that you don't need to shell out a bunch of cash to get a good CD player. I believe that mine was made in 1991. Granted they used more plastic in the construction of CD players in the 90s but if it sounds good and plays discs then that is all that matters.
 
Pretty any Magnavox unit made in Belgium with the 1541 DACs would be worth looking at.

I personally love the Sony X707ES, despite the fact that the laser is no longer available, as I have an X339ES to cannibalize the laser from if I need it.

The X707ES is sonically amazing.

Cheers
 
"dr's" pretty much got that nailed. The players mentioned in my earlier post's are Denon 1520, and Phillips 950. Ended up scrapping out the 1520, with the the 950's serving basement duty, but pretty much scrap too. As mentioned, don't buy a player, unless you can audition it live.

+ 2. My Maggie and Philips both just gave up the ghost - not that I had much in them.

I'm now using a Sony C701 ES and a Mitsubishi DP-409R and the Mistu is very nice if you can get past the 5 disc cartridge changer.

Still have a Nak CD Player 2. Of the 3 I like the Mitsubishi the best.
 
IMO, while the players were generally decent or good, I'd avoid anything with the Sony KSS-151A which includes a number of the Denon units. Not sure about which others may use it.

Those lasers are near or in the unobtanium status. Expensive if you do find one.
 
I love my mid 90's Rotel 970, never used it much until now....they are give away prices now...best I could afford when I bought it. I keep an eye out for any Rotel player when scouting about....crazy good for peanuts
 
I still occasionally use my Carver TLM-3600 and JVC XL-M300 in two of my systems. They are not single disk players though, but are still trouble free. I have a few others but they are out of rotation. I have bought all my CDPs on the cheap.
 
I will also recommend JVC units. Have a low end VC-114 that has never failed me and sounds just about as good as my much more expensive Denon C-615.
 
I wish the KSS-151a laser assemblies were still available and reasonably priced. I love my Denon DCD-1560 but I know it's a matter of time before it turns into a boat anchor. Same thing goes with my Carver DTL-200 CD player that's signed by Bob. It got to where it played sporadically and won't read the TOC anymore. Not entirely sure what brand assembly it is as it's not on this site that lists a bunch of the CD players and which laser assembly they have. The only CD players I see that share the same one are a Yamaha CD-X2 and a Sansui PC-V100 (proverbial needle in the haystack). Guess it's a good thing all of my CD's are on my server now....much handier for accessing music.
 
Last edited:
I wouldn't limit myself to vintage CD players... you'd be surprised at what prices some more recent models sell for. Also, single disc DVD players can be a great choice, especially if pre-HDMI. I picked up a Sony DVP-NC685V (it's 5 disc though) for $35 and it sounds terrific, very comparable to my TOTL Marantz. Plus, it can play MP3 CD's. :)

But if you really want vintage, there are some pretty good choices out there already mentioned. ADC made a few as well. Are you looking for strictly basic functionality?
 
Back
Top Bottom