• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Recommend me some Cerwin-Vegas

Because I live in South Louisiana and don't have many options as far as listening to different speakers. Most people down here don't even know what Bose 301's sound like. Fewer even care. Sad but true.

The good thing is that you've come to one of the few places that's likely to help you find like minded people in your area, if there are any....
 
There's a set of AT-15s in Lafayette that look good in the pics. They've been re-foamed already, unfortunately with gray surrounds but that's one less thing to worry about. If that's near you it would be worth a listen.
 
Last summer I found a pair of C-Vs, (12" woofer, 3 way, can't remember the model), on CL for FREE. 10 minutes from my house. In perfect working order. Young guy was getting rid of them because their house was too small for him, his wife, baby, toddler, 2 dogs and a big whomping pair of Cerwin-Vegas.
As I backed out of their driveway, still hoping I wasn't dreaming, I heard the wife yell "YIPPEE! THEY'RE GONE!"
I gave the speakers and a Lepai 2020A amp to my brother for his garage. He'd never owned anything more than a boom box and wasn't quite sure what to make of them. He totally got it about 20 seconds into Molly Hatchet's "Dreams". The look on his face- priceless.
 
Last summer I found a pair of C-Vs, (12" woofer, 3 way, can't remember the model), on CL for FREE. 10 minutes from my house. In perfect working order. Young guy was getting rid of them because their house was too small for him, his wife, baby, toddler, 2 dogs and a big whomping pair of Cerwin-Vegas.
As I backed out of their driveway, still hoping I wasn't dreaming, I heard the wife yell "YIPPEE! THEY'RE GONE!"
I gave the speakers and a Lepai 2020A amp to my brother for his garage. He'd never owned anything more than a boom box and wasn't quite sure what to make of them. He totally got it about 20 seconds into Molly Hatchet's "Dreams". The look on his face- priceless.

Nice score, Farmhand, tho for some odd reason it irks me that the wife was so joyous about the fella losing his speakers. Probably didn't want to see them go, deep down.
 
There's a set of AT-15s in Lafayette that look good in the pics. They've been re-foamed already, unfortunately with gray surrounds but that's one less thing to worry about. If that's near you it would be worth a listen.

Thanks I saw those. I really can't have the "big" ones though. House is too small and the wife wouldn't allow it. She WOULD allow some smaller ones though.
 
Thanks I saw those. I really can't have the "big" ones though. House is too small and the wife wouldn't allow it. She WOULD allow some smaller ones though.
Would it help if they were multifunctional? Turn them on their side and add a cushion and you have extra seating for guests. Even without the cushion they're still good seating. I've had several women that have enjoyed sitting without a cushion on my Cerwins. One said it was better than a Harley.
 
My Thought's. DON'T. I mean if you want a strong kick your self in the gut sound with screechy inaccurate highs go for it. I know JBL will cost you more money, but they are after all the best of the type.
 
My Thought's. DON'T. I mean if you want a strong kick your self in the gut sound with screechy inaccurate highs go for it. I know JBL will cost you more money, but they are after all the best of the type.
You forgot to add IMHO_;)
 
Last edited:
Here is a tip if you buy some 15" woofer'd CVs. Remove the woofers when bringing them into the house and down to the basement. It makes them lighter and gives you a great place to hold them by. Makes it a lot easier to carry them. Only a handful of screws.

CVs hold a special place in my nostalgic heart because they were THE speaker to drool over back in the 90s when I was a poor high school kid. $1000 a pair was a dream, I needed that money for college.
 
My Thought's. DON'T. I mean if you want a strong kick your self in the gut sound with screechy inaccurate highs go for it. I know JBL will cost you more money, but they are after all the best of the type.

Darn. Now you've got me doubting myself again. I kinda forgot about JBL. Which ones should I research? This is maddening and fun at the same time lol.
 
Cajunchuck, take twiii's words with a grain of salt. JBL speakers, by and large, are indeed "better" imho, but the money will certainly go up.

Do like Northwinds, and add some great tweeters to that bottom end. I did this with some DX-9's. Refoamed them, and added Selenium tweeters (far larger and better than stock, I think about 30 bucks from Parts Express) and they sounded VERY good. Sold them, but still sorta wish I hadn't.

Too many people here throw around their opinion as if it is scripture. Twiii, no offense to you at all, and mostly I agree.
 
The only Vegas I ever had were R 24's. Price was right at an estate sale, free, but needed new foam. After refoaming I passed them on as they could of used new tweeters and I did not want to invest in them.
But as a curiosity addition to this thread. One of the local HT Shops in town dropped the Monitor Audio line and replaced it with......Cerwin Vega. They must be popular with a certain crowd. And of course now our local Kijiji site has almost new Cerwin Vega's showing up for resale.
 
I ran two pairs of D-9s at one point. They were absolutely amazing for what they were and I wish that I still had mine. I didn't have room for them and my collection of JBLs, and the JBLs simply had a more refined sound, so I sold the D-9s to my friend. Of course that meant I still got to enjoy them at his house, and we had many nights of fun with them after that. They were great with different amps in that they could get loud even with relatively small amounts of power but at the same time they could also easily eat up as much power as you give them when you really pushed them hard. They are very fun speakers. I had some fun with some AT-15s also, and I would say that they come pretty close to the D-9 but that the D-9 is still superior.
 
OK here's my plan. We're going to take a family day trip to Houston this Saturday. Found a place called Trader's Village that is kind of like a big upscale flea market. Also has rides and stuff for the kids. We're also looking for a few pieces
of furniture to replace ones we lost in the flood so the wife is excited about that. Best part is the vintage stereo shop called Sounds Good to Me. Has a lot of old stuff. I see they have a set of Klipsh KG 4's for 400 bucks. It's an interesting design. Can't wait to actually hear some speakers in person. I really appreciate all the advice!
 
OK here's my plan. We're going to take a family day trip to Houston this Saturday. Found a place called Trader's Village that is kind of like a big upscale flea market. Also has rides and stuff for the kids. We're also looking for a few pieces
of furniture to replace ones we lost in the flood so the wife is excited about that. Best part is the vintage stereo shop called Sounds Good to Me. Has a lot of old stuff. I see they have a set of Klipsh KG 4's for 400 bucks. It's an interesting design. Can't wait to actually hear some speakers in person. I really appreciate all the advice!
You can do much better for $400.
 
Darn. Now you've got me doubting myself again. I kinda forgot about JBL. Which ones should I research? This is maddening and fun at the same time lol.

I think the thing you should take away from all this is that evaluating the brand as all great or all crap is just foolish, it's that way with most things, there is a lot of variety within many brands. You wouldn't judge all Fords by the Pinto or all Chevy's by the Corvette, and you shouldn't do that with speakers either. BTW I have had some JBL speakers that were truly junk, but they make many excellent models so I wouldn't judge them by that one pair I had.

As far as pricing that's also a function of factors in your area, and varies somewhat based on the item and availability, so don't accept anyone's opinion as actual fact, look around and see what you can find in your area. The stereo shops around me always ask a lot more for items but usually can be bartered with.

KG 4's are another speaker I like, but some people feel the brand has too pronounced of a horn sound. I have 4.5's and probably won't give them up unless I replace them with a larger Heritage model.

Good luck
 
Back
Top Bottom