• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Recommendations for vintage speakers for 300B amp

itsikhefez

Active Member
Hey all,

I recently got into the tube game and built the Elekit TU-8600R-VK 300B amp. (Also started a Tubelab 45 but that is going slowly)

I originally planned on pairing with the Frugal-Horn 3 with Fostex FE126En, but wife is getting annoyed at "projects" so will probably have to hold off on that for a while.

I think that any Klipsch horn-based speakers should be a really good fit here, and have my eyes open for local listings of Heresy II, Forte II,...
Some of these sellers have unrealistic high prices so would like to open up to more options..
I'm looking for a classic high performing vintage speakers...
Local listings have various Klipsch KG series, some vintage JBL, Yamaha NS series (not 1000), CV DX/D ...

So what should I be looking for??
BTW, I listen to most types of rock music... classic rock, grunge, alternative, punk etc..
 
Register to hide this ad
Is KG 3.5 worth it or should I wait for a Heresy or Forte (Cornwalls and up are too big for my space).
What are reasonable prices these days? Most of the threads here are from years back...
There is a Yamaha NS-670 local that looks nice, thoughts?
 
I think Forte is a worthwhile path to venture down, and the Forte II in particular since it uses the Tractrix horn rather than the exponential horn used in the first series, and also has a larger passive radiator. In my area (DFW) clean examples of Forte go for 500-ish and II’s usually a few hundred more. I have Chorus II’s and gave $1k for them (nearly mint condition) three years ago. That was a maybe a little on the high end according to some, fair to others. The Forte II is just a slightly scaled down Chorus II, and I could see myself giving $800-ish for a really clean pair. I had a pair of 300B monoblocks for a while and they sounded great with the Chorus II. I’m sure Zu and Tekton will get a mention soon and though I haven’t spent much time with either, they each certainly have a significant fan base and are worth consideration.
 
My first thought was Cornwall but given your music preferences. I would think Cerwin Vega would have some merit.
 
Why not grab the bull by the horns..... look into a pair of Khorns. If you have two "good corners" in your room, I think you will be impressed with how "room efficient" they are.

Meaning.... they are undoubtedly huge....but.... they will take up far less ROOM SPACE than something like HPM-100's.... the smaller speakers are going to want to be pulled out from the side/rear walls whereas the Khorn is meant to be fitted tight into the corner, using what is typically, dead space.

Other than, in wall, speakers...I don't think there is any other speaker made that takes up so little room space as the (huge) Khorn does.

Just tossing some spaghetti on your walls to think about.
 
There were just some klishorns on barter town but I think they sold. I’ve had the Elekit 8600 and I went back to push pull tube amps after missing bass punch and impact. If I were to go back to single ended, I’d probably prefer them with super efficient speakers like Altec VOTT or 19’s or maybe some 614 iterations; speakers over 100db sensitivity. Also, it would be fun to bi amp with the SET amp running the mids and highs and something different for the bass.

Also, maybe some Oris horns? Of course, are you dependent on a WAF? Because that can change everything in terms of big monstrous speakers.
 
Thanks for all the tips. WAF is a big consideration here... I think Forte's are as big as I'm permitted, even that may take some convincing.
We recently moved into a townhouse and the living room is a big open area with the kitchen and there really isn't a good place to put a system.
I'm going to re-purpose the guest room for a lounge area where I'll put the system.. so its a fairly small space.

In my next my home....... maybe I'll have the space for a bigger Khorn/Cornwall or Altec (which all look huge!)

The things that are available locally right now are (these are asking prices, can probably go a bit lower)
Forte II's (upgraded with Crites tweeters and crossovers) for $650 (this is a 3 hour drive though)
Yamaha NS-670 for $150
Klipsch KG 3.5 for $160
I'm not in a rush so will obviously wait for the right thing to come along.. just mentioning some options
 
That’s a good deal on the Forte II’s if they’re in good shape. The drive is a little brutal, granted, but many of us here have made a half- day journey for the right piece of gear.
 
Last edited:
Have you actually heard the speakers you are thinking about?

A valid question, but if there’s one thing I’ve leaned in this hobby, it’s that when it comes to gear and auditions all bets are off until you hear the piece in question in your rig and in your room. THAT’s where the tire meets the road. But it certainly never hurts to hear it beforehand to get a general idea of sonic character and, more importantly, to asssess functionality. However, I’d never pass final judgement on something like a set of speakers until I’ve brought them home and heard what they can do in the sceanario where intend to use them. That having been said, with sufficient research I can get a pretty good idea if a particular design is something I think is a worthwhile pursuit. Are there any speakers in particular that you’ve heard and liked? What are some speakers you’ve owned and what did you think of them?
 
Last edited:
For a few years now I've been quite happy with my Audio Nirvana full range 12's. I actually traded a pair of Forte II's for them. I found the Klipsch horn drivers to be a bit tiring. 300B amp user myself.

Edit: Now I see you're looking at vintage.

Mike
 
Have you actually heard the speakers you are thinking about?

I haven't.. that is the purpose of the thread.

For the past 1-2 years I've been mostly into headphones. The only speaker system I have is a pair of Genelec monitors on my computer.
Before that, I was into SS, amps like Creek, Exposure, Bryston and mostly British speakers, Epos, Monitor Audio, Neat, PMC, KEF etc..

Now that I'm into SET, none of the speakers I've heard and auditioned in the past are relevant- they aren't efficient enough or have the proper impedance curve.

That’s a good deal on the Forte II’s if they’re in good shape. The drive is a little brutal, granted, but many of us here have made a half- day journey for the right piece of gear.
Seller says they have cosmetic scratches/marks and that cones have some dents from previous owner but that there is no performance loss. He also owns La Scala and Khorns.. overall sounds like a trustworthy seller..

...Are there any speakers in particular that you’ve heard and liked? What are some speakers you’ve owned and what did you think of them?
I was on the speaker carousel for a while in my previous system... I was looking for mini-monitors at the time and tried a bunch from the brands I listed above. They all sounded "fine" to me but there was always something missing. I liked and kept the PMC DB1i the most... that's probably a less popular speaker around here but the things I liked about it the most were that it had a pretty deep bass for the size, great imaging and very detailed without sounding shrill or harsh.

For a few years now I've been quite happy with my Audio Nirvana full range 12's. I actually traded a pair of Forte II's for them. I found the Klipsch horn drivers to be a bit tiring. 300B amp user myself.
Edit: Now I see you're looking at vintage.
Mike

Thanks Mike... not totally unrelated. In terms of full range, my original plan was actually building a FH3 with Fostex full range, but that will have to wait as mentioned in the OP.
I think the main motivation for vintage here is that I think I can get a good value for money... and as a DIY'er don't mind the opportunity for upgrading some parts
 
The only speaker system I have is a pair of Genelec monitors on my computer.
Before that, I was into SS, amps like Creek, Exposure, Bryston and mostly British speakers, Epos, Monitor Audio, Neat, PMC, KEF etc..

Now that I'm into SET, none of the speakers I've heard and auditioned in the past are relevant- they aren't efficient enough or have the proper impedence curve.

I was on the speaker carousel for a while in my previous system... I was looking for mini-monitors at the time and tried a bunch from the brands I listed above. They all sounded "fine" to me but there was always something missing. I liked and kept the PMC DB1i the most... that's probably a less popular speaker around here but the things I liked about it the most were that it had a pretty deep bass for the size, great imaging and very detailed without sounding shrill or harsh.

I’m sure I don’t have to tell you this, but Forte will arguably be the polar opposite of what you’ve been listening to. You might embrace the difference...and you wouldn’t be the first...but you also could very well join the ranks of numerous others who just can’t digest the forward and lively character that defines most every Klipsch model, including the Forte. Your amplification will help tame them, as will the Crites mods, but you best ensure the room is well controlled because lively speakers and lively room typically do not result in something most consider sonically desirable.
 
Thanks for the heads up. I think the best way for me to find out is to take the plunge and hear them in my space..... worst case I can move them along. That's why I prefer buying old/used in these cases.
FWIW, the main issue I had with most of my previous speakers was that I thought they were a bit "boring" and lacked dynamics...maybe Klipsch is the answer :)
I've also had HD800S for a while, they are bright and detailed headphones. I had no issues with that actually, the reason why I didn't keep them was that I thought they were a bit too bass-light/"thin" and were awkward fitting for me.
 
Perhaps it might be worth considering building your own. It may seem like a daunting task but it doesn't have to be if you base them on a good quality full range driver and then purchase a powered sub to augment the bass.

I would avoid the really exotic drivers such as Lowthers as they tend to be finicky and require some heroic measures to tame the shout but something like the Wild Burro 8"ers or the more efficient of the Mark Audio drivers could work well without complex enclosures or large money outlay. There are many others that would be worth a look but look for smooth response and reasonable efficiency.

Personally I would concentrate on drivers that are suited to sealed or open baffle as it greatly simplifies the design and prototyping process. I favor open baffle as I love the sound stage but admittedly that is not as important for rock and similar. If you find something that is to your liking up to the upper midrange it is a very simple matter to add a super tweeter crossed very high with an L-pad if you need a bit more air or sizzle.

This approach avoids most of the really tricky parts of the DIY option (complex crossover and enclosure design) and is inexpensive enough to warrant a little trial and error. It is fun too.
 
Totally agree... I mentioned in the OP that I was planning on building a FH3.
Actually, I had bought the last FH3 flat-pak from Dave Dlugos (planet10-hifi) a few months ago... but haven't received them yet due to some issues he has been having.
They were planned to be fitted with Fostex FE126En or FF125wk.

But....I'm taking a step back with projects at the moment so will keep these boxed up in the garage and come back to them in the future.
 
Klipsch is the one brand that I would never buy without hearing first. They have a very distinctive sound that has many fans....and just as many detractors. I dont like anything with horns so I am in the detractor camp. They are well made and handsome of course.
 
Lowthers in Medallion rear horns are worthy of consideration and though big are not that big. I heard several sets that sounded very good. Though I'm not sure which Lowther models were used; Lowther makes several different drivers. Clarity and dynamics are very good but deep bass is lacking.

I think Fortes are very good speakers by any standards. They have excellent clarity and dynamics and a robust and natural tone lacking the obnoxious glare and shrillness some Klipsch speakers exhibit. And they can do the big image trick too.

Be aware that deep bass and high efficiency means a really big cabinet. I'm talking truly high efficiency, the 100db and over range of big Altecs, EVs, Klipsches and such. And some speaker makers lie about the efficiency and bass response relationship of their products--they might go as deep as claimed or they might be as efficient as claimed but they're not both. So if you go small be aware you're giving up either efficiency or bass.

Speaking of EV (ElectroVoice) they made many excellent high efficiency systems with superb build quality. Keep an eye out for them.
 
Last edited:
A valid question, but if there’s one thing I’ve leaned in this hobby, it’s that when it comes to gear and auditions all bets are off until you hear the piece in question in your rig and in your room. THAT’s where the tire meets the road. But it certainly never hurts to hear it beforehand to get a general idea of sonic character and, more importantly, to asssess functionality. However, I’d never pass final judgement on something like a set of speakers until I’ve brought them home and heard what they can do in the sceanario where intend to use them. That having been said, with sufficient research I can get a pretty good idea if a particular design is something I think is a worthwhile pursuit. Are there any speakers in particular that you’ve heard and liked? What are some speakers you’ve owned and what did you think of them?

I have heard many different Klipsch speakers and dont like them at all. They are handsome and well made of course but horn drivers are like nails on a chalkboard to me. I wanted to at least own one set so I bought a pair of KG2s last year and hated them.....

Right now my favorites are a pair of Marantz Imperial 6s (and 5s) that have been recapped. I also love the pair of KLH 6s that have had the drivers rebuilt and re coned along with caps that run neck and neck with the Imperials. I also really like my Optimus 5s and 6s.....along with Nova 6s. I also like my two way 8 in Sansui sp70s.

I also have sets of smaller new Polks and Sonys. And I also have had Advents and others. I buy speakers I have not heard but never ever ones with horns.
 
Back
Top Bottom