• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Recommendations on a $100 pair of speakers?

synclavier82

Well-Known Member
Hi Everyone,

I was hoping to get some guidance on a $100(roughly) pair of bookshelf speakers for my apartment. It's a small apartment, so I don't need anything huge. I was thinking about giving these a try:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=7705307&type=product&id=1138085354138
Insignia® - 6-1/2" Bass-Reflex Bookshelf Speakers

For about $100, is there anything else I should be considering?

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=8289167&type=product&id=1172277277943
Sony - 5-1/4" 2-Way Bookshelf Speakers

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=8289229&type=product&id=1172277278011
Sony - 8" Bookshelf Speakers

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=8828012&type=product&id=1207956903491
Polk Audio - 5-1/4" Bookshelf Speakers

Thanks.
 
Last edited:
Register to hide this ad
If my gun were loaded, no one would have to endure any posts from the Zilchster ever again....
attachment.php


http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/showthread.php?t=160535
 
Last edited:
The bay has a set of JBL 2600's for the same price as your Insignia speakers. There are lots of brands out there. I don't know what your size limitations are (if any).
 
i would go with a pair of the older small advents with the spit ball woofers, a pair of baby advents or some infinity rs 3000. insignia is junk,,,as well as sony.
 
Thanks for the tip. I was looking at those too. Just out of curiosity, when you say these sound much better, what specifically are you talking about? Better sound stage, more detailed?
Sound is more full. Bigger bottom. More realistic. Suprising for their size. I use a set for my bedroom rig, and a set on my restoration bench.

Enjoy,
Rich P
 
Sound is more full. Bigger bottom. More realistic. Suprising for their size. I use a set for my bedroom rig, and a set on my restoration bench.

Enjoy,
Rich P
Cool, well, I bought a pair and am listening to them now... Sound good so far.

I know $100 could have gotten me more old speaker, but in this case, that's not really a good thing. Honestly, these little Polks are almost too much for my space.
 
I have that model Polks that I use in my 10ftx10ft shop and they put out a suprizingly amount of bass. Still, I would go give a listem because everyone taste is different:thmbsp:
 
I have that model Polks that I use in my 10ftx10ft shop and they put out a suprizingly amount of bass. Still, I would go give a listem because everyone taste is different:thmbsp:

Indeed. Of course my Best Buy had NONE of the bookshelf speakers hooked up, unfortunately.
 
If you're a patient and disciplined bidder, you can get some good Infinity and JBL speakers from Harman Audio's eBay site. They're refurbs, but I've never heard any complaints (and have none myself). I got two Infinity Beta 20s for $92 (shipped) and a Beta C250 center for $53 (also shipped price). Their auctions are kind of thin right now, but I've seen days when they had more than a dozen each Infinity and JBL bookshelf speakers up for bid.
 
Wait for a pair of Definitive Technology DR-7 bookshelves to show up on ebay and grab them. They are a steal under $250.00. Read the reviews. I've owned 2 pairs and only parted with them to give gifts to family.
 
Hi Everyone,

I was hoping to get some guidance on a $100(roughly) pair of bookshelf speakers for my apartment. It's a small apartment, so I don't need anything huge. I was thinking about giving these a try:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=7705307&type=product&id=1138085354138
Insignia® - 6-1/2" Bass-Reflex Bookshelf Speakers

For about $100, is there anything else I should be considering?

Thanks.

Just yesterday I had a pair of those BB Insignia's (paid $35.00 for the pair new) and a pair of Boston A40's hooked up side by side to a Pioneer SX 650 and playing CD's on a Onkyo Integra DX6800 cdp.

The A40's were so much clearer and nicer sounding than the Insignia's it blew my mind.

If you want itty-bitty speakers like the Insig's, get yourself a pair of used Boston A40's, JBL L19, Baby Advent, for half of what your talking about spending. Want something that will handle a little more power? JBL Northridge E50 @ 175 watts and bi-ampable. You maybe could find a leftover pair of those somewheres for less than what you're talking about. IMO of course.

R
 
Last edited:
It's done, apparently, an "I wanna go to Best Buy and get something TODAY, what shall it be?" thread. Hopefully the responses will lead to exploration of other options in the future.... :thmbsp:
 
I agree with Earholes. I picked up a DR-7 for $13 at Goodwill. Re-glued the surrounds
& they sound great. I am still looking for speakers that sound better.
 
Dynaco A25'S 1969 models are hard to beat.One of the best bookshelf systems ever built! Lots of pairs for sale around Canada for $100 or less..............
 
Back
Top Bottom