• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Recommendations pls for "small footprint" AU amps

ignoramustot

Active Member
Hi folks
First time I've tried to start a thread here so hope I'm doing this right.

I'm seeking recommendations from those experienced with what I'll term "small footprint" or small body amplifiers from the Sansui kin.

My first Sansui is an AU-4900, in very good condition that came to me with excellent history, and I like it very much.

There's an AU-317ii not so far from me that is tempting me to stray.

What differences might I notice from an AU-317ii compared with an AU-4900, and would those differences be regarded as an improvement?

What other small footprint Sansui amps do you folks recommend, and why?

Thanks!
Rob
 
Register to hide this ad
Welcome to AK! I can't comment on the amps you referenced but I do have experience with quite a few other Sansui amps. "Small" footprint can be a relative term but here are a few that are frequently referenced favorably, adding in my experiences and personal opinions.

AU-505, small footprint and often underestimated but very sweet sounding amp. Doesn't put out a lot of power but depending on your setup and listening habits could be a great and relatively inexpensive option.
AU-555A, slightly larger footprint than above but still relatively small. This is well-regarded, especially after a restoration. There are a few optional/recommended mods by members on the forum that you can look up on AK. I currently have one that's been restored by QRX Restore and it checks a lot of boxes. Note that some of these came with etched faceplates and others with painted, personally I prefer the etched before some cost-cutting was implemented.
AU-222, the 'baby' of the early Sansui solid-state amps with the iconic black face/silver knobs. The AU-777/AU-777A of this series are held in high regard by many on the forum as one of the best works by Sansui with voicing similar to what many consider the holy grail AU-111. I have one in my possession but it was in need of restoration when I picked it up so have not personally listened to it - anticipating it'll live up to the hype!

Hope that helps provide some perspective in your search. I'm sure others will chime in!
 
Thanks for your suggestions.

Funnily enough, I was offered an AU-555A as an alternative to the AU-4900 by the person from whom I bought the AU-4900. I wasn't able to listen to either before purchase (they were 900km away interstate and we were in COVID lockdown at the time) so I took a punt on the AU-4900 as the newer design. No idea if I made the right choice there but, as I said, I've been happy with the AU-4900 so far.

The low profile of the AU-317ii appeals to me, so that indicates my aesthetic preferences - not sure if that makes it harder to work on or more prone to heat issues in the tighter space. I do like the solid metal-on-metal feel and weight of the AU-4900's controls - not sure how the AU-317ii compares on that score.

As I said, I wouldn't be considering buying anything else at the moment if it wasn't for the temptation of an AU-317ii nearby...

Thanks, Rob
 
All knobs and switch caps on the AU-317II are plastic. The 517 and 717 models of the same series were the only units to get aluminum knobs, and even then the push buttons and levers were plastic. In fact, the AU-4900 was part of the last model series to have nearly all metal control knobs, buttons and levers. I mention this in case that particular detail is important to you.

Aside from that, I'll concur that models like AU-222, 505, 555A and 666 are all good candidates. So too is the AU-101, if you have modest power needs in an amp without a lot of fluff.
 
The AU-217 has been described as a "sleeper amp" and "punching well above it's weight" on various threads I have been researching here. I own quite a few higher powered 70's integrated's, but I've recently been looking at what a "smaller footprint" integrated could do. I use pretty efficient speakers, so a lower powered higher quality (and updated) integrated should be fun to have in the mix. I decided to pursue the AU-217. Purchased one online and in route next week. Planning to renovate it with some guidance from of one of the many generous AK members here.

This AU-217 thread was particularly inspirational -
https://audiokarma.org/forums/index.php?threads/sansui-au-217-restoration.755714/

Another smaller footprint integrated I am working on, that is very highly regarded here particularity after upgrades, is the AU-555a - you may also consider one. This thread as the inspiration -
https://audiokarma.org/forums/index...storation-upgrade-of-a-sansui-au-555a.816754/
 
Last edited:
Not an AU series but the A-7 DC Servo Integrated amp is a small footprint 17W X 10" depth of 40ish watts. 1980-81
Would make a nice workbench unit as it has Tape 2 RCA's in the front.
Dial Loudness
LED VU meters
Phono
Even a Mixable Mic input.
Looks sharp too IMHO. (Industrial)
 
^ if looking at the 1980-81 super compo models, consider also the A-80 or smaller sibling A-60. Build quality not on par with the older models posted up thread, but actually pretty sharp looking, and the A-80 at least is an all discrete output stage. Nice looking meters as well. Sounds decent enough for a secondary or bench system, I was actually quite pleasantly surprised by my A-80
 
If you don’t mind the plastic knobs and switch covers has been mentioned earlier, the 317 and 317II really are cracking little amps with plenty of drive. The AU-4900 itself is a very nice bit of kit, and if you like it’s sound, I can also recommend the big-brother 6900/7900 and also the earlier 6600/7700 (although these are all a tad deeper than the 4900 due to the rear heat sink and connectivity design).
 
Thanks folks, really appreciate the thoughts and suggestions.

And I admit that I am a bit envious of the extra features of the slightly bigger AU-5900 / 6900 / 7900, especially that mid-tone control and the extra input options.

I was aware of the A series but assumed them a bit lightweight, although haven't met one in person.

Sound-wise, how does an AU-317ii compare with an AU-4900? Anyone with experience of both?
 
I have a AU-217 that I have found extremely satisfying sounding. I love it. I'm restoring a AU-517, and I think it will replace it, but the little 217 survived many head to heads with much more powerful and "desirable" amps that have come and gone. I suspect that if the AU-317 is in good condition, it will be excellent.
 
The AU-317ii that I was considering has mysteriously disappeared from a certain auction site mid-auction. Hmm. Seller has given an unconvincing explanation. Best not to say what I'm thinking.
Oh well, still very keen to read the info people have shared, and prepares me well for a "next time". :-) thanks folks
 
Hi folks
First time I've tried to start a thread here so hope I'm doing this right.

I'm seeking recommendations from those experienced with what I'll term "small footprint" or small body amplifiers from the Sansui kin.

My first Sansui is an AU-4900, in very good condition that came to me with excellent history, and I like it very much.

There's an AU-317ii not so far from me that is tempting me to stray.

What differences might I notice from an AU-317ii compared with an AU-4900, and would those differences be regarded as an improvement?

What other small footprint Sansui amps do you folks recommend, and why?

Thanks!
Rob
I’d go a au-222 it’s a small foot print simple to work on and packs a real punch sounds bigger than the specs suggest
 
I just love my AU4900 more than my AU317. Hard to explain why but there something more musical about it. I consider the AU4900 to be underrated.
The AU317 looks nice & is powerful sounding albeit with quite a bassy signature on my example.

I am currently running an AU-4400 since a couple of days. Looks nice & I beleive the last of the cap coupled amps. All caps are still original, although I needed to change all transitors in the power amp section as they were all noisy. It is slightly lighter sounding than the AU317 or AU4900 but maybe that's because of the old puny filter caps. Can't decide whether to keep it or sell it. These small sansui's do seem to have similar sonic characteristisc though.

Should get my AU555A running in the main system this weekend, following Leestereo's restoration thread. Just need to finalise the PS section, but it sure sounds great on my test speakers !
 
I just love my AU4900 more than my AU317. Hard to explain why but there something more musical about it. I consider the AU4900 to be underrated.
The AU317 looks nice & is powerful sounding albeit with quite a bassy signature on my example.

I am currently running an AU-4400 since a couple of days. Looks nice & I believe the last of the cap coupled amps. All caps are still original, although I needed to change all transitors in the power amp section as they were all noisy. It is slightly lighter sounding than the AU317 or AU4900 but maybe that's because of the old puny filter caps. Can't decide whether to keep it or sell it. These small sansui's do seem to have similar sonic characteristics though.

Should get my AU555A running in the main system this weekend, following Leestereo's restoration thread. Just need to finalise the PS section, but it sure sounds great on my test speakers !

Hi @Dom123 Happy New Year and pls forgive my slow response and thanks for your answer to my question of almost a year ago!

How did you go with your upgrade of your AU-555A following Leestereo's method, and how do you compare its sound to your AU-4900?

Reason(s) that I ask is that I have bought a clean unrestored 555A since my original question, but I am disappointed with its sound compared with my also-unrestored-and-original-caps 4900. This 555A has blanketed mids and treble tones, and muddy booming bass. It clearly is a good candidate for the Leestereo restoration and upgrade, as soon as I can find a good technician nearby willing to do it for me. (I'm a complete technical no-nothing and klutz, and my usual tech has decided they are too busy and backlogged to take on a vintage restoration/mod job.)

Given that the restoration and upgrade of the 555A is not going to be cheap, I'd like to get a better sense of what to expect relative to my AU-4900...

Adding further to my investment dilemma is the sudden availability of a recapped and serviced AU-5900 not so far from me. Given the 5900 has the mid-tone control missing from the 4900 (one of the reasons I bought the 555A), plus a bit more power and a few other features, I'm now wondering whether my $ might be better directed to the AU-5900, given I like the sound of my 4900, and given I'm aware the the capacitor-coupled design of the 555A means it will sound a bit different from the 4900 and 5900, even with the Leestereo upgrade mods to the 555A... And in the background lurks my ambition to get my hands on an AU-317 one day ...

In case it helps for context of advice, the rest of my audio chain includes recapped Yamaha NS-670 acoustic suspension speakers (love 'em); restored Dual 1219 running AT-95VML microline stylus; Marantz CD-63SE. I listen to a lot of 50s-60s jazz; some classical orchestral and some 60s-80s blues and rock.

Many thanks for any relevant advice,
Rob
 
Hi Rob,

The restoration went well with my 555A - I didn't encounter any major issues & it was a doddle to work on. This is in part due to the clear details given by Leestereo in his restoration thread. It sounds really nice with much better bass and nice clear vocals. The phono section is especially good.
My 555A before restoration was pretty horrible sounding, all muddy & dull.

I noticed you posted a related question on another thread which I replied to. I think the ability to work on an amp yourself changes the perspective enormously, because well your time is free !

TBH if your AU4900 is a good working example, you may not notice any major step up in "enjoyment" factor compared to a restored 555A, although it would be infinately better than your current un-restored 555A. (Please folks this is just my personnel opinion). I mainly listen to Jazz & slow melodic music, along with some classic 70's stuff like steely dan, joni mitchell, weather report etc etc.

But the other consideration is having an amp which is fit for service for many years to come.... If the 5900 has been partially restored with good components & to a good level, this could be the way to go. I recapped by AU-4900, even though it sounded fine before. The recap didn't affect the sound but it does give some peace of mind.

Then with vintage, the look is important too. The 555A look really nice. Mine is cosmetically perfect and looks like it just left the factory

I'm currently recapping a 771 I've just bought. Can't wait to try this, as I have read some great things about them
 
Hi Dom. Many thanks for your rapid and helpful response here and over on the parallel thread at
https://audiokarma.org/forums/index...which-would-you-choose.1018525/#post-16111503

I was a bit cheeky airing my latest query across multiple threads so it might be best to focus the 555A vs 4900 discussion on that other thread and leave this one for the specific question of small sized amps. As I mentioned in the other thread, I'm leaning towards getting my 555A worked on locally because I'd likely wreck it if I tried it! Seems like my 555A is in similar (internal) condition and performance as yours was before you restored and enhanced it. (That Leestereo thread is a wonderful gift to Sansuiphiles - there must be thousands of 555As by now that have benefited from it.)

Seems like we have very similar tastes in music, as well!:beatnik::)

Your 771 receiver will no doubt be a lovely thing when restored but I doubt any '70s receiver (especially a Sansui one) fits the term "small footprint" ;).

I confess an attraction to the clean sleek looks of the Yamaha CR line receivers of the mid-late '70s over the fussier look of the equivalent Sansuis... Perhaps a dangerous confession in this forum! :eek::D The way Yamaha implemented the Loudness function in those receivers and equivalent amplifiers is intriguing - I must hear one, one day. No doubt a different sound, but has its adherents. The vintage Yamaha CR receivers seem slightly more common (perhaps more accurately stated as "slightly less uncommon") than the Sansui equivalents in Australia. By mid-late 70s, it seems Australian Sansui buyers were more likely to go for separates than receivers. The later G and Z receivers seem to surface very rarely here, especially the high powered models, with Pioneer, Yamaha and Marantz apparently the preference in the "lounge room furniture receiver" segment.
I am well "off topic" now so will close out there...
 
Hi Dom. Many thanks for your rapid and helpful response here and over on the parallel thread at
https://audiokarma.org/forums/index...which-would-you-choose.1018525/#post-16111503

I was a bit cheeky airing my latest query across multiple threads so it might be best to focus the 555A vs 4900 discussion on that other thread and leave this one for the specific question of small sized amps. As I mentioned in the other thread, I'm leaning towards getting my 555A worked on locally because I'd likely wreck it if I tried it! Seems like my 555A is in similar (internal) condition and performance as yours was before you restored and enhanced it. (That Leestereo thread is a wonderful gift to Sansuiphiles - there must be thousands of 555As by now that have benefited from it.)

Seems like we have very similar tastes in music, as well!:beatnik::)

Your 771 receiver will no doubt be a lovely thing when restored but I doubt any '70s receiver (especially a Sansui one) fits the term "small footprint" ;).

I confess an attraction to the clean sleek looks of the Yamaha CR line receivers of the mid-late '70s over the fussier look of the equivalent Sansuis... Perhaps a dangerous confession in this forum! :eek::D The way Yamaha implemented the Loudness function in those receivers and equivalent amplifiers is intriguing - I must hear one, one day. No doubt a different sound, but has its adherents. The vintage Yamaha CR receivers seem slightly more common (perhaps more accurately stated as "slightly less uncommon") than the Sansui equivalents in Australia. By mid-late 70s, it seems Australian Sansui buyers were more likely to go for separates than receivers. The later G and Z receivers seem to surface very rarely here, especially the high powered models, with Pioneer, Yamaha and Marantz apparently the preference in the "lounge room furniture receiver" segment.
I am well "off topic" now so will close out there...
Hi Rob...yes the G series do surface very rarely here 'down-under'...I have never seen or heard of one being advertised for sale in all my years perusing hi-fi sites here! I picked up a minty G-5500 from a Sth African living in Ringwood years ago off Gumtree who had a crusty old Sui BA-5000 under cardboard sheets, covered in dust in his garage, weighed a tonne!!! :eek: I also have the G-9000 that I managed to acquire from the States (years ago!) when the aussie dollar was worth more than the us dollar, just made it worthwhile to acquire! Now that is a big unit to ship I tells ya! :p After asking for it to be double boxed it arrived in an old cardboard box full of foam peanuts undamaged!o_O:rolleyes:
 
Back
Top Bottom