• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Recommendations: Record Stores in the East Bay, CA

Njord Noatun

Super Member
Banned
I am traveling to the Bay Area in a week or two, and would like to look for some good record (vinyl) stores. I am staying in East Bay (Walnut Creek) and was wondering if you have any recommendations for good record stores (1970's - 80's popular music) in Contra Costa, Berkeley, Oakland or San Francisco (or even Alameda, I guess).

Thanks.
 
Register to hide this ad
Amoeba is right next to Rasputin. Between the two you can't go wrong. The record store in Alameda is so-so, but on Park (in Alameda still) there are a couple of "Antique" places where you can find the occasional gem.

There is no shortage of thrift stores around here but they get picked over fairly quickly--there's plenty of people around here who are into cool records and vintage audio.

Enjoy your visit! I am a relative newcomer but love the East Bay.
 
More record stores here than you can count, more important is what music you are after. The Berkeley Amoeba and Rasputin's can keep you busy and have all types if there isn't anything special. The Amoeba in SF is as big as both those stores and also great many smaller places as well.


Carl
 
Rasputin, is the name of the game
Berzerkely, San Leandro, The City
Amoeba is right next to Rasputin.
The Berkeley Amoeba and Rasputin's can keep you busy and have all types if there isn't anything special.
Amoeba and Rasputin's will keep you busy for a couple of days.

OK - been to Rasputin and Amoeba at Telegraph Ave, as well as Amoeba at Haight St., and Rasputin in Concord (as well as a few smaller stores): All great recommendations! :thmbsp:

Rasputin off Market St. in the City, and Saturn in Oakland remaining - thanks for the pointers!
 
There's also a Rasputin in San Leandro

Make sure to get one of their discount cards(note to self-remember yours next time)

So whatcha finding??????????
 
OK - been to Rasputin and Amoeba at Telegraph Ave, as well as Amoeba at Haight St., and Rasputin in Concord (as well as a few smaller stores): All great recommendations! :thmbsp:

Rasputin off Market St. in the City, and Saturn in Oakland remaining - thanks for the pointers!

If you are going back over to SF, check out Groove's on Market and both Streetlight Records. Gosh, there are so many to look at in SF. There is one on Divisadero I forget the name of and one called Jack's near to it also @ 2 blocks. Could keep going and going. :)


Carl
 
Hey Sig,

Forgot to mention that at Rasputin's if you buy ten $1 used records you get three for free! And don't forget the discount card! I got my VG+++ Supertramp, Paris double live that way. :D
 
How do you get that Rasputin's discount card? In the store? I got at least ten at the Concord store (they may not all have been of the $1 variety, though).
 
Yes you should be able to get the card in their store(s)
Though I don't think you need one for the 3 free. Usually there's a sign up
My only problem was I couldn't find 13 I liked or that weren't beat to hell
 
Re card: You just ask at the register and they fill them out on the spot.

BTW, Saturn is the furthest thing from a store with dollar bins. They are for the rare things you want at market value prices.

Carl
 
Last edited:
I found an independent record store in San Francisco today I wanted to share with you.

First to the not so good news: The albums were not organized that well, some of the bins were not easily accessible, and pricing is $5 across the board; instead of the differentiated pricing scale found in most record stores.

Now to the good news: I think this store had more records than I have ever seen in any record store ever, including Amoeba at Haight and Rasputin's at Powell and at Telegraph Ave: The storekeeper estimated that there are over 50,000 albums down there! Also, the store carries a bunch of silver-faced vintage gear - turntables, tuners, amps, receivers.

All-in-all a fun place to spend an afternoon, if you have the time to rummage through the bins.

If anyone here wants to look the store up, the location is on the 500 block of Green St. in North Beach.
 
Hpoe I'm not too late here;

Rasputin in Concord, across the street from SunValley Mall.
I think they closed????

Their $1 bin as been going down hill since 3-5 years but, it's close by.
I think they moved next to Guitar Center last year,...still within a mile of SunValley Mall

Rasputin, Berzerkely; plus check out the side streets off Telegraph, (a block or so)
figure half a day here,....the stuff on the side streets will make this a half day

Rasputin, San Fran on Powell St.
If you're out of town, you will go to San Fran so, check it out,
few blocks up Market, end of Powell St. cable car ride.

Go here last, no since draggin' 5,10,20 albums all day in SF!!!!!!
figure 1-2hrs. here before you catch BART to go home.

Amoeba; San Fran, end off Haught? Asbry?,.....across the street from Golden Gate Park,...
puts you in & around the Haight/Asbry district.
figure 1-3hr. here,....you're in the Haight, what's the hurry????
BTY; there's a Salvation Army around there, (check a phone book),
might find a good receiver,....never know but, you're in the Haight,....
 
Rasputin in Concord - I think they moved next to Guitar Center last year
Yes, they did - I found a few records there: They seem to be supplied on a regular basis from the Berkeley branch.
check out the side streets off Telegraph
Can you give some more detail on where those side streets are? Perpendicular to Telegraph? East or West? Parallel? In the same general area as Amoeba and Rasputin's?
 
Back
Top Bottom