• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Reconditioning rubber reel holders

philliam

Active Member
I have a TEAC 1230 that I want to use in a vertical orientation but the original rubber reel holders have hardened and they don't 'grip' the reel shaft firmly enough to keep from wandering off. Any tips for reconditioning the rubber (or hole area) to tighten up the holder?
 
Register to hide this ad
I have a TEAC 1230 that I want to use in a vertical orientation but the original rubber reel holders have hardened and they don't 'grip' the reel shaft firmly enough to keep from wandering off. Any tips for reconditioning the rubber (or hole area) to tighten up the holder?

Generally speaking, once hard like that, they are pretty far gone. You can try some type of "rubber rejuvenator" product or wiping it with Naphtha, got nothing to lose. But those are always available on Ebay either NOS or used-but-good. I wouldn't spend too much on products to try and restore yours as it can eclipse the price for some functional ones!
 
Make yourself some new ones.........cheap!

Get a pair of rubber stoppers like used in a lab. Drill a hole halfway through each one exactly in the center. The hole should be slightly smaller in diameter than the reel table spindle for a snug fit.

Probably can get you a pair for free if you know anyone that works in a lab. If not, a good hardware store would have a nice selection.

Pick the right ones and drill properly. They'll look good and work even better!
 
Make yourself some new ones.........cheap!

Get a pair of rubber stoppers like used in a lab. Drill a hole halfway through each one exactly in the center. The hole should be slightly smaller in diameter than the reel table spindle for a snug fit.

Probably can get you a pair for free if you know anyone that works in a lab. If not, a good hardware store would have a nice selection.

Pick the right ones and drill properly. They'll look good and work even better!

+1 :yes: You can get 'em in all different sizes at any hardware store or home center. The last pair I made I used a washer of the same outer diameter as the stopper to guide the drill bit and get it dead center. I drilled partially through them (with the wide end facing the reel) so the hole doesn't show from the front but was deep enough to grip the spindle and hold the reel tight. Looks even better than the original TEAC holders!
 
Back
Top Bottom