• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Record clamps

I was skeptical about record clamps but decided to get one and test to see if all the hype was true. I purchased the standard model from
http://www.bren1recordclamp.com/page5.php
I tested with and with out the clamp on several styles of music from Classical, Jazz, Blues, classic rock and Metal and each time when using the clamp the Bass and Mids where much tighter and the sound stage was increased.
TT is a refurbished Lab400 with Grado red1 Cartridge
 
My Music Hall came with a screw on clamp that attaches to the threaded spindle. On my Dual 1249, I use a plastic jar lid with a hole drilled in the center. The lid is turned upside down and I use an office binder type clip to clamp it to the spindle. It works just as well as the MH clamp, the weight is negligible, and it cost nothing.
 
My Music Hall came with a screw on clamp that attaches to the threaded spindle. On my Dual 1249, I use a plastic jar lid with a hole drilled in the center. The lid is turned upside down and I use an office binder type clip to clamp it to the spindle. It works just as well as the MH clamp, the weight is negligible, and it cost nothing.

Sounds like a great idea.:thmbsp: Just the thing for some of the suspended turntables that don't like too much weight.
 
Sounds like a great idea.:thmbsp: Just the thing for some of the suspended turntables that don't like too much weight.

I'm sure it might work, but none of my suspended tables will ever see that setup.:no:
Regards,
Jim
 
I've got this Clearaudio record clamp for free when I bought my Nano phono preamp from my local dealer:

z_zs_seal.jpg


http://www.clearaudio.de/eng/z_zs_seal.html

I works great on my Emotion turntable, yielding a clearer and more solid sound image.
 
OK. Probably a couple of stupid questions, but here goes...


What's the difference between a record clamp and a weight. They seem look the same.

Also, how would I know the weight I should use? I've seen them (clamps and weights) as little as 5 ounces up to 48 ounces.
 
OK. Probably a couple of stupid questions, but here goes...


What's the difference between a record clamp and a weight. They seem look the same.

Also, how would I know the weight I should use? I've seen them (clamps and weights) as little as 5 ounces up to 48 ounces.

That's an obvious difference right there ... weights are just that, a heavy object using gravity to pin the record down, clamps "screw" down onto the spindle - getting away with being much lighter-without putting undo stress on the motor, .... or at least this is how I understand it.
 
Any recommendations on which is the best way to go? And if I were to choose the weight route, how would I know what weight is right for my TT?
 
Back
Top Bottom