• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Record Cleaning - Soap and Water - test results

Ok guy`s I have to say that I PM`ed Snade and thanked him for the heads up on the Groovmaster. Now that I have cleaned approximately 150 records with this product and in the manner Snade has said wash with dawn and then rinse throughly,this system works VERY well I have about 65 more records to go that I got as a package deal in a garage sale and some of them are horrid. So far all of them have cleaned up very nicely in comparison to where they were. Some of them even had mold on them. I love the way they have turned out and as usuall with a bulk sale there are some cull`s in the lot, but most have been good. I went back and did some of my really good albums and they are dead guiet and look great!!
Thanks again Snade for the heads up on this great little product, oh yea BTW it`s now $57. But it will last forever. :yes::thmbsp:
 
Thanks again Snade for the heads up on this great little product, oh yea BTW it`s now $57. But it will last forever. :yes::thmbsp:

Where to get it? I did a quick search and everything comes back to a dead ebay link. Got a source?

Ray
 
Yes Pm me and I will give you all the Info with his name and address!!

Ok Guy`s I have had so many PM`s I will post this Info in Thinking out Loud that is if Erik doesn`t shoot me for it>
 
Yeah, I couldn't find it either...

The Groovmaster is available by contacting the following:

William Sargent, email: wmsar@cox.net

You can contact him direct by email or he sells on the auction site. If you email him, tell him a friend recommended the Goovmaster and the friend said you could buy it from him direct for $50 and that includes shipping. Let me know how that works out.

No affiliation, just a customer of this product.

Cheers, Snade
 
Thanks Snade. I didn`t know if I would get in trouble for posting his e-mail or address.
 
Tried that and just let me say it`s worth the money for this thing, because it really works great!!
 
What a great thread, I am sure glad I came across it.

I recently rediscovered the joys of listening vinyl after many years of not doing so.

I bought an Arcam AVR 280 for home theatre use about a month ago and a pair of Era Design 4's. Lo and behold, the Arcam and Era's rekindled an interest in listening to music again, and that led to dusting off the old Rega Planar 3/SME Series III and spinning up some vinyl.

What a revelation; I had forgotten what I had been missing all these years....

Hey, those records, they... they sound like...MUSIC! (ha ha, but you knew that...).

I am so relieved I never got rid of any of my vinyl all these years. I spent last night tweaking the set-up on the Rega/SME and adjusting the set-up of my interim Grado Prestige Blue, while my much-loved Grace F9E Ruby awaits a stylus retipping/new ruby cantilever at Soundsmith.

The high notes from violins now sound sweet and natural, not strident and irritating.

Now that that's done, I was just thinking about some way to get some of this vinyl that's been sitting around for all these year clean (actually, a lot of it is pretty clean)

I was just about to go get a Nitty Gritty, but I think I will try this approach first.

I think I will look for a soft, natural bristle brush for the washing, and maybe a skosh of methanol from the lab (I'm a scientist) to aid as an organic compound surfactant.

I think the microfiber towels are the key to prevent tap water spots from forming; if there's no water left from the towel, there's nothing left to form a spot.

Also, thanks to Danj for the tip on keeping the microfiber towels separate from other textiles while drying after washing....I recently put some small 3 in. square terry-cloth type microfiber towels I use for cleaning the faceshield on my motorcycle helmet in with the rest of the laundry, and noticed they seemed kind of scratchy and stiff when they came out of the drier, not soft like they were before they went in. Would hate to scratch my records with those.
 
I recently put some small 3 in. square terry-cloth type microfiber towels I use for cleaning the faceshield on my motorcycle helmet in with the rest of the laundry, and noticed they seemed kind of scratchy and stiff when they came out of the drier, not soft like they were before they went in. Would hate to scratch my records with those.

I have a big basket of microfiber towels, I use them for all kinds of things but mostly for car care and I usually have one within reach for cleaning desktops, monitors, glasses etc.

I found early on that you should never throw them in the dryer. I pull mine from the wash and hang them up right away. They don't take long to dry at all.
 
Snade and dokblues, thank you both. My vinyl allowance $$$ is on its way to Bill. I hope you both are returned 10 fold with good karma.
This is a great thread. Mike
 
The Groovmaster is available by contacting the following:

William Sargent, email: wmsar@cox.net

You can contact him direct by email or he sells on the auction site. If you email him, tell him a friend recommended the Goovmaster and the friend said you could buy it from him direct for $50 and that includes shipping. Let me know how that works out.

No affiliation, just a customer of this product.

Cheers, Snade

I emailed the fella, and he said he wont sell the thing for $50 bucks out the door, but rather $61 with shipping. No thanks! :no: Thats pretty spendy for a few cook-pot lids with an all-thread. He would sell tons of those things if he would get right with the price.
 
I was just thinking that. Seems like the price went up.....a little "reverse enginering's" in order here. Hummmmh.
 
I built a cleaner like the one shown in the first post of this thread: DIY Merril RCM.

Here is a picture (copied from that thread, with acknowledgments to Derek (88gibson); hope he does not mind):

attachment.php


The clamp for the record is made out of two 4 inch end caps, and rubber sink strainer washers. Stick the washer to the end caps with some Gorilla glue.

Drill a hole through the center of the end caps. Then a threaded rod through the end caps and record, with butterfly nuts at the two ends holds the record very well.

Some liquid does seep in under the washers, but it is usually very little, and does not bother me at all.
 
cool ideas... I have washed a few records out of desparation using paint edger, dawn and tap water, rinsed in shower (with one of those spray heads on a hose) and dried with microfiber. Been pleased with the results, but am skittish about the hard water. Someone mentioned an RCM based on this concept... Hmm...
 
Hmmm, about the DYI label saver. What about two small toilet/sink plungers sans-stick?

If you poke small holes through the middle of each one and use a large bolt, you probably wouldn't have to seal around the bolt at all.

That should protect the label from water seeping in, though I don't know about a head-on blast. Looks like I have a weekend project...

-Phil
www.philpalombi.com
 
Back
Top Bottom