• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Record player arm is too stiff to go across the record, causing it to go over the same groove.

I am simone

New Member
I just bought this record player, I know the record player sucks. the reason I got it was because it looks really pretty and has a cd player, cassette player, radio, and it was pretty cheap off Craigslist. I’ve replaced the needle thinking that was the issue, tried multiple records and what I think the issue is the arm has a little budge before the whole thing moves. (Like the metal arm moves before the weight behind it)The arm is too stiff to move across the record, and I was wondering how to fix it, or if I even can.
Thanks so much for any advice. The model is the Emerson NR303TT 4-in-1 Player.
 

Attachments

  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    98.6 KB · Views: 75
Register to hide this ad
I, as most others here will tell you not to bother with improving that unit. Give it away and call it a loss - those are about the worst record players currently made. Sorry ‘bout that.. :(
 
The arm is too stiff to move across the record, and I was wondering how to fix it, or if I even can.
It's good that you're aware of the unit's shortcomings. You could attempt to work the arm back and forth across the turntable to the center and back to the arm rest, without a record in place of course. Do it about 20 times or more and see if it loosens up some. If it does, you can try another record and see if it helps. Unfortunately, there's not much more you can do other than that. There are some vintage inexpensive tables you can enjoy that will not damage your record collection. I'm guessing you would be looking for another all-in-one record player?
 
Hard to give a specific answer, other than that pretty much anything can be fixed or at least improved. Is it an "automatic" turntable, meaning that you press a button to start the platter spinning and the arm moves on its own, or "manual," and the arm is NOT controlled by any mechanical linkage and you place it on the record by hand?

If it's a manual, just move the arm back and forth gently and see if you can find where it's rubbing.
 
It's good that you're aware of the unit's shortcomings. You could attempt to work the arm back and forth across the turntable to the center and back to the arm rest, without a record in place of course. Do it about 20 times or more and see if it loosens up some. If it does, you can try another record and see if it helps. Unfortunately, there's not much more you can do other than that. There are some vintage inexpensive tables you can enjoy that will not damage your record collection. I'm guessing you would be looking for another all-in-one record player?
Sadly it did not work but I'm not really surprised. you get what you pay for. I don't really need an all in one but it was mainly looking at it for the style, and all the other stuff was just an added bonus for the price. Id appreciate if you know of any turntables that are relatively inexpensive, probably under $100 that have the same sort of look. Thanks for the advice.
 
Hard to give a specific answer, other than that pretty much anything can be fixed or at least improved. Is it an "automatic" turntable, meaning that you press a button to start the platter spinning and the arm moves on its own, or "manual," and the arm is NOT controlled by any mechanical linkage and you place it on the record by hand?

If it's a manual, just move the arm back and forth gently and see if you can find where it's rubbing.
It's a manual, but after taking a look on the inside I don't think its fixable, its just really cheap plastic rubbing on itself and I'm not sure if tightening any screws or adding lubricant can help. I think its time for a new one :/ thanks for the advice
 
Sadly it did not work but I'm not really surprised. you get what you pay for. I don't really need an all in one but it was mainly looking at it for the style, and all the other stuff was just an added bonus for the price. Id appreciate if you know of any turntables that are relatively inexpensive, probably under $100 that have the same sort of look. Thanks for the advice.
Let me start with a few questions: Do you own a receiver, or a preamp/amplifier? You'll need one of those in order to use a standard turntable. You'll also need speakers.
 
Pretty much every entry level turntable will run circles around those modern all in one systems. I guess you could look at the pivot points and put a couple drops of oil on them but that thing probably doesnt even have real bearings in it. The sooner you chalk it up to experience and move on the better off you will be. Dont worry, we all have made bad purchases.
 
Does it move across about half of the record before getting stuck, or not at all? Thinking if it goes part way before getting sticky, its probably a trip linkage issue on an auto-return mechanism.
 
Does it move across about half of the record before getting stuck, or not at all? Thinking if it goes part way before getting sticky, its probably a trip linkage issue on an auto-return mechanism.
That's an interesting idea. The OP had earlier said it was a manual turntable, but the owner's manual suggests it is a semi-automatic, saying, "When the tone arm reaches the end of the record it automatically returns to the tone arm rest and the record player stops."
 
yeah, that definitely sounds like a semi-auto. I'm sure its not a very good machine but it probably wouldn't be very difficult to make it function again either. I'm sure it worked when new, and there probably isn't very much going on in there. Fair bet that popping the platter off, or pulling the thing out of the cabinet would give some answers. Wondering if its a sticky lube issue, or a linkage out of position and jammed.
 
Back
Top Bottom