• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Record show 101

geddy402

Active Member
I'm going to my first record show on September 18 in Arbutus, MD (also thinking about the Record Expo in Lancaster, PA too).

I'm looking for some advice on what the proper etiquette is for a record show. I've been to guitar shows before and the basic rule is don't be a jerk, but I wanted to see if there was any advice you guys can give me before I go.

I'm looking to upgrade my collection of mainly classic rock and jazz, so I'm not looking for anything really rare but would like nice copies of bands and artists I really like...and don't want to get ripped off.

I know this is open ended but I appreciate any help you guys can give me. Thanks!
 
Register to hide this ad
I would advise bringing a pocket LED Flashlight ... some used records look good in room light ... not so much under a bright light.

and having a prioritized list ... it's easy to forget to check for something.

Otherwise ... have fun and just enjoy the show.
 
Last edited:
Do not spend the rent or mortgage money on vinyl - the wife won't go for it! And of course the "Don't be a jerk" rule is also in effect. ;)
 
Don't bathe for a week. Wear an old t-shirt, hopefully one with a few food stains on the front. Don't shave either. When talking to vendors, obsess over one or two artists in particular. Oh, and don't be a jerk.

:D

Seriously, go and have a good time! And in my opinion, don't be afraid to haggle a bit on price if you're buying more than a few items.
 
I'd say make up a list of "must haves", then spin off from there. If buying multiple LP's from the same vendor, ask for a discount. STAY WITHIN A BUDGET!!!
Some vendors have posters and memorabilia too.
 
DON'T make a list--you already know what your "must haves" are. Making a shopping list just closes your mind to other options that you might enjoy even more. DO set a budget. It's really easy to spend more than you intended (or can afford). I always "pad" my budget--if I have $200 cash on hand, I'll set a budget of $100-125, but there is always that "margin" if something "special" turns up. Have fun, and Happy Hunting!!!
 
I set up at record shows for quite a few years. I also have gone to shows as a buyer. I really liked it when customers came to my table with a good attitude and talked to me about music, life, whatever. I remembered those people and usually gave them discounts when they came around again. Some of them I now have as friends outside the shows. I also remember the arrogant jerks who enjoyed making your day less enjoyable. No discount there.

Always check the cheap "dollar" bins. I've found some incredible stuff over the years. Sometimes dealers unload older stock when they need room for new additions and some good items get thrown into the cheap bins to move them out. Take a look around the room first before you buy. Occasionally a dealer would show up who wasn't a regular but wanted to move a bunch of records cheap and get rid of them. I've spent my whole budget on those guys when they come around.

Try to relax and enjoy yourself. Start at a point on one side of the room and try to keep to a path where you know which tables you have not been to yet. I'd start on one end and go up one side of a row and back down the other until I made it all the way through. I guarantee you that if you miss a table it will be the one that has everything you are looking for. :biggrin:

Never trust a sealed record. I know of some people who have shrink wrapping machines and use them. Look through the shrink and see if there is any edge wear, hole punches or saw cuts that are covered by the wrap. Condorsat's flashlight point was a good one. The lighting was less than optimal at the shows where I set up.
 
Awesome advice! Thanks so much for the help guys! Nice to have a good group of people who are willing to help me out! Thanks again!
 
I would recommend looking but not really doing much buying unless you are looking for a few specific titles which are hard to find. A show is a great place to learn but not where I buy.

My best vinyl deals have always came from yard sales, craigslist and thrifts and almost always in lots where you buy someone's entire collection and then pass along the ones you don't want to friends or the thrift store.
 
I'd always browse the whole room first, then go back to any table that looked interesting on the second walk-through. Check under the tables, too - I once found a box of old 45 factory sleeves for free. Talk to the vendors, tell them what you're looking for, most will point you to another table if they can't help. As bobsvinyl says, just relax and have fun. Post back to let us know how the show went.

Enjoy the music,
-Mark
 
I've had good luck asking shop owners and record sellers for a recommendation. Something like "I've been listening to a lot of (fill in the blank). Have you got any suggestions that are under the radar, obscure or maybe a favorite in the same vein?"

Most of the time this hits a positive nerve and the seller digs out one or two gems that they know about, but are new to me. And because they are off of everyone's wish list, the prices tend to be reasonable.

And sometimes the finds aren't obscure artists at all. I found original pressings of Nina Simone records on the floor of a flea market in Iowa City that way, and a shop owner in London looked at the Parlophone Beatles record I found and said "If you're cheeky enough to buy this, let me get you a better copy over here..."

Have fun and come back and post yer finds!
 
Always check the cheap "dollar" bins. I've found some incredible stuff over the years. Sometimes dealers unload older stock when they need room for new additions and some good items get thrown into the cheap bins to move them out. Take a look around the room first before you buy. Occasionally a dealer would show up who wasn't a regular but wanted to move a bunch of records cheap and get rid of them. I've spent my whole budget on those guys when they come around.

Try to relax and enjoy yourself. Start at a point on one side of the room and try to keep to a path where you know which tables you have not been to yet. I'd start on one end and go up one side of a row and back down the other until I made it all the way through. I guarantee you that if you miss a table it will be the one that has everything you are looking for. :biggrin:.

Yep. The unobtainium is usually priced appropriately, but you can find lots of interesting stuff just flipping through the bins.

Have fun!!
 
A good thing to take with you is a magnifying glass. Some scratches will look very bad, but when examined under magnification will prove playable and without too much surface noise. This is especially useful for records that you have really been searching for with no luck.

Always check the records from the edge for warps and check for cracks.

Tilting the record in the light will reveal if a defect is a scratch or a scuff. If a scuff, it will disappear.

As for etiquette, do not grab records from a bin someone else is looking through or examine records one by one as you pull them. Pull those that interest you and examine them later. This prevents others from a long wait AND allows you to find that special record before someone else. Also, do not carry a price guide or constantly ask others if a record is valuable. Serious collectors find both of these annoying. Always handle the records with care, even if you are not interested. What you don't want others will. And above all, do not put records back upside down or backwards.

One final bit of advice, once you get the records home, no matter how clean they look, always give them a wet cleaning. You'll be surprised at all the gunk that will come out of the grooves.
 
Last edited:
Something I have done is bring records with me that I want to trade, not junk mind you but good records I just don't want/like. I have negotiated decent trade deals for things I really wanted while unloading what I didn't want.

I talk to the dealers as I browse and if they seem like they might be interested, usually a brick and mortar store that has a booth, I say hey would you be interested in taking XXXXXX in on trade? If so I will go get it from my car.

Be realistic though, they still have to sell it for a profit.
 
Don't get your hopes up or buy something "just to buy" if you don't find something you REALLY want. It's also easy to be the kid in the candy store and start grabbing everything you are interested in. In other words don't shop like a woman. ; )
 
Back
Top Bottom