• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Recording the band: 1/4 inch 2 track vs 4 track compatibility

safebet

Long live vintage!
Subscriber
I have several 1/4" reel to reel machines and am considering how best to use them to record our band. It would be fun to do it "old school" like i did as a kid instead of through my Focusrite 18i8 interface and Reaper recording software. The objective is not to overdub to perfection but to have a little control in the process of building the final result while keeping it based on a decent performance. The option to re-record a guitar section and complete vocals at the end are part of the plan. All analog will be nice. I will not be using noise reduction but have given plenty of thought to record levels and use of moderate compression when printing to tape. I am experienced in these areas and so these factors are outside of the scope of my question here.

Primarily I would be using Teac 4 channel/4 track models 2340SX, 3340S and also a 3300S 2 track/2channel model. The latter two can run a 15ips. I have also an Otari MX-5050 2 track for the final mix compilation.

With that preface, here's why I ask about 2/4 track compatibility. To avoid excessive tape-to-tape reprint and generational loses, it seems to me that after making a mix from the 4 track source (3340s) and sending it to the 2track 3300S, why couldn't I play that back on the 4 track 3340S using tracks 1 and 4? That would allow me to add in tracks 2 and 3 for another go-round.

Without splitting hairs over bias, levels, S/N ratio and equalization, I would think it most important that the 4 track head positions 1 and 4 not align on a portion of tape not fully recorded by the 2 track head. If that occurred then certainly signal to noise ratio would take a hit. If however tracks 1 and 4 on a 4 track head were fully immersed in signal recorded in 2 track format I think I'd stand a great chance of success.

Thoughts?
 
Register to hide this ad
Not the best idea. As you said, there's a track mismatch between two and four track. You're better off sticking with the 3340 for all original recording, then mixing down to 2 track on the 3300. Back when I was doing live recording back in the dark ages, that's exactly what I had, and exactly how I did it: 3340 for all original recording, mixed down and sent to the 3300. As you said, the Otari night be a bit better for final mixdown.

I don't see where the 2340 is a worthwhile contributor to all this if you have the others.
 
I've answered my own question with more research. And trust me, I give projects a lot of thought. All machines play a vital role in the process devised. There's usually more than one solution to a problem or task, and as unconventional as my thinking may be it will fit well based on all available factors. In this case factors include available equipment and practical knowledge with regard to band member personality and capability. It also means I won't need to take either 2 track machine to the rehearsal space. I'll avoid a tape generation loss and it actually only has to occur once.

My answer ultimately came from this link: http://www.jrfmagnetics.com/Nortronics_pro/nortronics_silver/pdfs/p10.pdf

It seems to validate there will be minimal impact using the A-3340S tracks 1&4 to read the A-3300S 2 track recorded tape. The few times I'd done it I thought the A-3340S played 2 track tapes well. Again, I only need to do this once and I'm not recreating Brothers in Arms or Crime of the Century. We'll probably do a Tom Petty tribute set including Traveling Wilburys tunes...all analog.

upload_2018-3-25_10-55-34.png
 
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom