• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Rectifier differences.... 6V4 vs 6CA4

Wharfcreek

Jack of all trades, master of none!!
Staff member
Moderator
Subscriber
I picked up an old radio chassis from a friend..... mostly because it had one telefunkin 6BQ5 in it...which I needed for a little EL84 SE Maggie amp. Anyway, I noted that it also had a 6V4 for a rectifier. I did some review on the tube data sites.....and found that this tube has the same pin-out as a 6CA4, and is rated for the same 350-0-350 as the 6CA4. I used the Duncan site, and honestly am not sure about the remaining categories of Rser and Ih. If anyone can explain that to me...... 'great'!!!....but I guess the bottom line is: Is this 6V4 basically a drop-in sub for the 6CA4, and, if not....just what is the distinguishing difference?

Thanks, WC
 
Register to hide this ad
Mark,

Thanks for that reply. I was wondering if that 6V4 would handle a SE EL84 amp w/ only one 12A-7 type driver tube......and it looks like it's current capacity is more than able to do that. If I'm not mistaken, I think the current capability on a ST-35 Power Transformer on the B+ winding is only 180ma......and that's a PP EL84 amp w/ 2 driver tubes. So, I'm figuring no more than 100ma on the SE EL84 amps....so the 6V4 tube should work just fine. It's a bit shorter than the 6CA4.....and I'm looking at having to recess the sockets on the two EL84s to fit into the chassis and cage cover I plan to use....... so......... if I can get away with that 6V4, that's just one less 'drop' mechanism I have to devise to make my project work. We'll see. Thanks again for the info Mark!!

Tom D.
 
For recessed sockets, I've used shield base sockets, mounted below the chassis using threaded standoffs.
 
Hi Tom! My plan is to attempt to build a little SE EL84 amp on a old Dynaco FM tuner chassis. However that cage, while designed to clear the top of the 6V4, will not clear the tops of the 6BQ5s. So, gotta figure out something. May go w/ 6V6 as a possible alternative. TSD
 
Back
Top Bottom