• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Rectilinear II (not III) - anyone know anything about these?

hensmyth

New Member
Hi all—

I know the Rectilinear III’s are well regarded, but I have a pair of Rectilinear II’s that I haven’t been able to find mention of anywhere.

Has anyone ever come across these or know why there’s such a lack of info on them out there?

They sound lovely, by the way.

IMG_3733.jpegIMG_3734.jpegIMG_3735.jpegIMG_3732.jpeg
 
Register to hide this ad
Hey,

I’ve never run across them, in the wild or otherwise. There’s nothing on the net because nobody else has either. Pop’em open!

Biggles
 
When new they were very popular and well respected. I didn't like the multiple tweeter use in the model III at the time, but other than that they were giving AR, KLH , EV, Boston and others a real run for the money and winning most of the time. Yes, the speakers will need a crossover rebuild and hopefully none of the drivers are damaged because there aren't new easily replaceable drivers. That is unless you have your own test equipment. But then, maybe you will get lucky. Dealing with ancient compromised speakers can be a real challenge for the novice.
 
When new they were very popular and well respected. I didn't like the multiple tweeter use in the model III at the time, but other than that they were giving AR, KLH , EV, Boston and others a real run for the money and winning most of the time. Yes, the speakers will need a crossover rebuild and hopefully none of the drivers are damaged because there aren't new easily replaceable drivers. That is unless you have your own test equipment. But then, maybe you will get lucky. Dealing with ancient compromised speakers can be a real challenge for the novice.
Thanks! Just to be sure, are you referring to the III’s or the II’s? I’m aware that the III’s were quite popular and well respected, but I can’t find any information on the II’s which seems surprising if they were popular!
 
Last edited:
In a way I am referring to both, but in particular in most ways I preferred the II as long as it wasn't pushed to hard and the listening distance was kept rather short. Its like the difference between an AR-3a and an AR-2ax.. The ax was bit shy on bass and couldn't reach the dynamic levels of the 3a. or a B&0 5700 vs a B&O 4702. Now in one case I preferred the Yamaha NS 690 over the 1000. That wasn't suppose to happen. So there are occasions when the lesser speakers are more appealing to the listener. Some folks thought the Magico S5 mk II was better than the S7 unofficial MK II. Magico has basically canceled the S7 now that the S5 MK III has come along. Unfortunately there was never a MK II or MK III model II Rectilinear as such.

Like Snell, Rectilinear would do slight model up dates during production. Klipsch did the same thing over the years and is still doing so today. There are now 6 or 7 versions of a MC 275 by Mcintosh and 5 versions of a C-22. Bozak changed and updated its drivers over the years, too. Three different tweeters two different midranges in 6 different versions and two or three significant changes to the woofers.

So be careful and make sure you get the correct info for your individual speakers. OEM folks don't make it easy on us.
 
In a way I am referring to both, but in particular in most ways I preferred the II as long as it wasn't pushed to hard and the listening distance was kept rather short. Its like the difference between an AR-3a and an AR-2ax.. The ax was bit shy on bass and couldn't reach the dynamic levels of the 3a. or a B&0 5700 vs a B&O 4702. Now in one case I preferred the Yamaha NS 690 over the 1000. That wasn't suppose to happen. So there are occasions when the lesser speakers are more appealing to the listener. Some folks thought the Magico S5 mk II was better than the S7 unofficial MK II. Magico has basically canceled the S7 now that the S5 MK III has come along. Unfortunately there was never a MK II or MK III model II Rectilinear as such.

Like Snell, Rectilinear would do slight model up dates during production. Klipsch did the same thing over the years and is still doing so today. There are now 6 or 7 versions of a MC 275 by Mcintosh and 5 versions of a C-22. Bozak changed and updated its drivers over the years, too. Three different tweeters two different midranges in 6 different versions and two or three significant changes to the woofers.

So be careful and make sure you get the correct info for your individual speakers. OEM folks don't make it easy on us.
Thanks, this is super helpful!
 
Possibly these were prototypes;, but couldn't be mfg'd at their production point. Their first commercial models were the IIIs with several more after those.
Maybe they are collector models.
 
Back
Top Bottom