• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Rectilinear III Midrange

relaximus

Consoles 'Я' Us
One of the Philips mids in my recently re-capped Rectilinear IIIs has developed a "buzz" at certain frequencies. I'm guessing that it's been doing this for a while, but wasn't apparent with the old crossover caps. Trying to find replacements for these is spotty at best. I believe these to be Philips AD5051/M8 drivers. I've been able to locate a pair of NOS Philips AD5060/SQ8 drivers which I'd like to use. Other than the lack of a whizzer cone, would these NOS drivers likely to be an acceptable replacement?

Thanks!
Dave
 
Register to hide this ad
I have swapped the 5060sq8 for the 5060m8. Actually, I made whizzer cones and glued them on to the SQ8, but if I told anybody I actually made whizzer cones, I'd lose all my audiophile credentials. :) In any case, I can't tell any difference between the sq8 (with whizzer) on one side and the M8 on the other side of my Highboys.

The 5061 was used in later models, but I've never heard that midrange.
also there have been a few 5061s for sale in Barter Town, you may want to seach there.
 
Last edited:
I think the 5060 is a great replacement mid driver, it should work well for your application. I keep a few rat holed away for just such an occasion!
DC
 
Any tips or tricks to extracting the old driver from the baffle board? It seems to be glued in.

Dave

Oh, it's glued in all right!

There is no trick that I know of. You just have to dig out most, if not all, of the silicon (I used a screwdriver to do that) and then pry the driver out.
 
You did this from the front I assume? Is there anything packed-in behind the driver as well? I know there's a plastic cup, but is it filled with anything?
 
You did this from the front I assume? Is there anything packed-in behind the driver as well? I know there's a plastic cup, but is it filled with anything?

yes, I did it from the front, and yes, there is (fiberglass?) insulation in there.
 
Cheers Kirk! Hopefully I can pry these things out without mangling the baffle board too badly. What did you use to attach/re-seal them back into place?

Dave
 
Clear silicone bathroom caulk, which is the same thing Rectilinear used. Available at your local hardware store.
 
Well as I don't know how much space is in that plastic cup, I'm hoping these will fit. I assume I can remove these drivers from their own cups and just mount them within the RIII's Tupperware version.

attachment.php


attachment.php


Dave
 

Attachments

  • philips01.jpg
    philips01.jpg
    59.2 KB · Views: 123
  • philips02.jpg
    philips02.jpg
    64.3 KB · Views: 124
Hey Dave - Looks like you have some serious surgery in mind! Fillet o' mid-range on the menu tonight? :D
Yeah Rick, I'm really hoping I can perform this MidrangeObotomy without leaving nasty scars on the baffle. I also picked-up a pretty decent looking pair of Infinity Reference One's from the Swap Shack at our local transfer station (town dump). The woofers need surrounds (already ordered from Rick Cobb) and I'll replace the 'lytic caps with new poly's. I'll likely throw them on the garage system when done.

Dave
 
Back
Top Bottom