• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Red Boat Fish Sauce from Vietnam, The best fish sauce I have ever tasted

transmaster

AK Subscriber
Subscriber
I finally got my hands on Red Boat Fish Sauce made by An N Cuong CO Ltd. Produced on Phu Quoc, Island Vietnam. It is made from the Black Anchovy. The sauce is properly made from only Black Anchovy and sea salt, and nothing else. It is from the first pressing. It is very high in protein and gives your dishes the important umami flavor. One of the things fish sauce is good on is pizza if you are one who likes "fish" on his pizza which you can't get at many pizzerias fish sauce works great in fact I prefer it actual anchovies on the the pizza. My local Chinese grocery store could not get any Vietnamese fish sauce at their suppliers, I found the Red Boat Fish sauce mentioned in a book I have on Vietnamese sandwiches; The Banhi Mi Handbook: Recipes for crazy delicious Vietnamese Sandwiches by Andrea Nguyen. I was able to order some from Amazon. I have been a fan of Fish Sauces for many years and Red Boat is the best ever. I can no longer find the Thia fish sauce I used to get but Red Boat is so much better. http://www.redboatfishsauce.com/

fish-sauce.jpg
 
Register to hide this ad
Never knew such a thing existed. Would you use it like a soy sauce and does it keep well in the fridge? I would think with all the salt it should.
I do like anchovies BTW. It's one of the ingredients that gives Worcestershire sauce it's unique taste.
Had anchovy and onion pizza once. Yummmm! Need to do it again sometime. Sadly my immediate family's not into anchovies all that much.
My bro in law makes anchovy and cheese stuffed hot peppers for special occasions. If I get there a little late, the plate is empty:(
 
Yes you can use fish sauce like soy sauce in fact soy sauce was originally developed as a vegetarian. replacement for fish sauce for Buddhist monks who were strict vegetarians. So many foods from Southeast Asia use fish sauce. It is wonderful in ramen noodles, and fried rice. You can do a one up on your brother and do Chiles Rellenos and use fish sauce in the cheese stuffing. If you read about ancient Rome they had a thing for Garum an anchovy fish sauce, also called Liquamen, and no Roman dish was made without it. Worcestershire Sauce, called brown sauce in Tudor aged cook books is a successor to the ancient Roman Garum.

I just carefully read the label on this fish sauce and it does say to refrigerate so in the ice box is goes. I guess the what is supposed to be the best fish sauce in the world deserves special treatment. :D
 
Last edited:
I tastes quite nice, but it is pretty salty, so be careful. I have become used to Flying Lion brand, which is nowhere near as salty. I picked some up recently, and made some cham dipping sauce with my traditional recipe. I have had to use that sparingly for other uses. I will tweak the recipe next time. I like the Red Boat. I will just have to change my recipes to account for the saltiness. It is also way too expensive for my cooking uses, so dipping sauce will be what I use it for.

Enjoy,
Rich P
 
I like that brand also but keep a good old bottle of TIPAROS around as the standby.

I kept mine in the fridge - but the Tiparos can live in the cupboard...
 
Mmmmm.

I marinate my stir fry meat with fish sauce. Learned to cook Chop Suey from a Vietnamees man.

I'll have to try some Red Boat.

Thanks
 
Fish sauce is fantastic on grilled steak. A trick I learned from "Iron Chef" Japan was to put a little fish sauce on the serving plate and let it dry. Plate you steak on it. You end up with a fish sauce flavored salt crust on the plate that mixes with the juices from the steak as you cut it, oh my God!!! It is good.
 
...
My bro in law makes anchovy and cheese stuffed hot peppers for special occasions. If I get there a little late, the plate is empty:(

That sounds great! You have my mouth watering...

I'm assuming he uses cream cheese and bakes them? Any breading or anything?

I like to use the giant Jalapeno peppers stuffed on the grill
 
I love Jalapeño Poppers. I mentioned Chili Relleno above this is a popper's big mucho delicious brother. I use fish sauce in the cheese, and sometime the rice.
0137352_480x360.jpg
 
Rabbi Rich's Hellish Relish
  • 1 package of fresh button mushrooms
  • 1 medium onion
  • 6 nice habanero peppers
Slice everything up and put it all under the broiler until the onions clarify and everything develops nice blackened edges. Finely mince it all and add your favorite fish sauce until a well moistened paste is formed. Refrigerate.
  • Put a big dollop on the side of the plate when eating steak - the taste and temperature differential is super.
  • Put it in omelets, mushroom soup or potato soup
  • Put it in fish tacos
  • Add it to vegetable side dishes
  • Stir it into some nice rice
  • Eat it on a cracker
  • For a gentle tweak to it, add 3-4 drops of liquid smoke.
  • The possibilities are endless - my "Hellish Relish" is a serious umami bomb
Enjoy,
Rich P
 
That sounds great! You have my mouth watering...

I'm assuming he uses cream cheese and bakes them? Any breading or anything?

Basically they're just cold appetizers, no cooking involved. Made with pickled cherry peppers, tops and seeds removed, and stuffed with a strip of anchovy
and a piece of sharp cheddar with a little olive oil drizzled on top, if I remember correctly. Very addicting. It's easy to have too many.

I like to use the giant Jalapeno peppers stuffed on the grill

I don't see any recipes on the web that involve anchovies, jalapenos and cream cheese.
Not sure if the three would go together well but it might be worth a try.
 
I finally got my hands on Red Boat Fish Sauce made by An N Cuong CO Ltd.....

Yes!! This is the best you can get in the US. At my store, they told me never to use it for cooking but only for dipping. I agree. I cook with Mui Ne, which is also a genuine VN nouc mam, not a fake Thai or HK product with a VN-looking label (98% of what's sold in the US). Not sure where the Mui Ne is made, but I'll bet it's not made in Mui Ne any longer. Major beach tourism and nuoc mam factories don't mix well. At Phu Quoc, the factory is a long way from the good beaches. I'll be within sight of Phu Quoc in January, but I'm not going to the island. Too expensive for my budget. I'll be in Kep and Kampot, on the Gulf of Siam in Cambodia, eating the best crab in the world for a buck a piece.
 
Not sure where the Mui Ne is made, but I'll bet it's not made in Mui Ne any longer. Major beach tourism and nuoc mam factories don't mix well. At Phu Quoc, the factory is a long way from the good beaches.

According to a Vietnamese tourist site the fish Sauce operation is located:
http://en.vietnamitasenmadrid.com/mui-ne.html

Location fish sauce factory in Mui Ne

The Mui Ne fish sauce factory is located just at the end of the stream of the fairies, he is accessed from the road from the beach of Mui Ne, Huynh Thuc Khang Street no. 63.
 
When you see how Mui Ne is made refrigeration doesn't make much since. I was thinking South Korea is famous for the smell of Kimchee, and Vietnam is famous for the smell of Mui Ne. Stinky and GOOD!!! :bowdown:
 
According to their site:
"Red Boat uses only the freshest cá com (black anchovy), salted minutes after leaving the sea then slow aged for over a year in traditional wooden barrels."
Could it be the aging process continues once the bottle is open so storing it in the fridge keeps it at its optimal flavor?
 
Back
Top Bottom