• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Reel to Reel tapes?

flybigjet

Remove Before Flight
Greetings, gent's--

Quick question (and no, this is not a "for sale" sort of thing)-- I ended up with a fairly large box (think moving box) of reel to reel tapes that were recorded by my father on a Teac 4010 w/ upgraded glass (?) heads (whatever size/ips that implies) back in the day-- I can remember him spending *hours* slaving over making "the perfect recording" when I was a kid.

I pretty much took them to help clear out a bit of clutter out of my parent's storage garage (and make my mother happy), but I really have no use for them. I hate to just chuck them (and would feel terribly guilty doing so), but don't know quite what to do with the tapes.

Is there any use to these? Do people actually still listen to them? For that matter, are they even listenable? They would have been recorded from about 1972-1978 or so.

Any suggestions on what to do with them that would send them to a good home where somebody could enjoy them?

TIA--

R.
 
Register to hide this ad
Depending on how they were stored and what quality of the tapes they were, most are still playable. I have about 7 or so recorded blank tapes from the 70s and they still sound fantastic minus 1 that has drop out issues for some reason. People would still listen to them and would always be looking for record able tape to dub to vinyl or so. I always find it a good time to listen to what and how people recorded tapes from so long ago. Its fascinating. I would be happy to take them off you hands, but depending on where you live, shipping might be rather steep. If you are interested however, let me know. I'll put them to good use :yes:
 
I always find it a good time to listen to what and how people recorded tapes from so long ago. Its fascinating.

I concur.

I've bought many used tapes with the intention to erase and re-use the tapes. However, many of them I keep just to listen to someone's past recording. The quality is not the best but there is a certain nostalgic warmth to hearing the variety of music that people took the time to record. I even have a baseball game from 1968, and I don't even watch baseball.

There is a market but you have to connect with the buyer.
 
If you care about the sound on the tape and it was well recorded, you could grab a tape deck for well under 300 that would play them back and they should sound fine depending on the type of tape and the storage conditions. If ou go this route, check out the machine before buying, you don't want a maintenance issue which many machines will be.

If you are just going to unload them, check the bay for the value of the 7" reels in the type you have. Maxells have value, Ampex do not as they degrade and can't be used anymore. All other brands fall between those values. Metal reels are worth some coin.
 
You could always use the "Pay it Forward" section of Audiokarma to get them to someone who wants them or do an "Auction for Audiokarma". You will at least get the satisfaction of knowing they will go to someone who will give them attention -- and support AK!
 
You could always use the "Pay it Forward" section of Audiokarma to get them to someone who wants them or do an "Auction for Audiokarma". You will at least get the satisfaction of knowing they will go to someone who will give them attention -- and support AK!
Excellent idea-- I didn't know there was such a section!

Now, to find it!

Thanks!

R.
 
You need to be a subscriber, meaning you have to pay $25 to become one. They could be offered on Barter Town for sale or for free.
 
Depending on the genre, I would definitely be interested.

As for if they're still playable... I bought 17 reels of tape at a local thrift store. They were all recorded at 7 1/2 IPS and they sound fantastic. The record dates range from mid 70's to mid 80's.

Like someone said earlier, I really enjoy listening to what other people recorded. Kind of glimpse into their music interests at that time in their lives.
 
You need to be a subscriber, meaning you have to pay $25 to become one. They could be offered on Barter Town for sale or for free.

Subscription done, but I can't quite find the Barter Town section. Marketplace, yes. Barter Town preview, yes. But nothing else. Color me stupid this evening-- it was a long day fighting thunderstorms up and down the east coast.

I'll try to post up a list of what is written on the tapes, but it most likely won't be for a week or two-- brake jobs take priority on my next few days home!

R.
 
Last edited:
The brand and condition of the tape will more than likely be of more interest than the music that is recorded on the tape. As previously noted, Maxell is good and Ampex (some) is not so good. You could also post photos rather than generate a list. Reel tapes definitely have value. Lots of options.
 
Subscription done, but I can't quite find the Barter Town section. Marketplace, yes. Barter Town preview, yes. But nothing else. Color me stupid this evening-- it was a long day fighting thunderstorms up and down the east coast.

I'll try to post up a list of what is written on the tapes, but it most likely won't be for a week or two-- brake jobs take priority on my next few days home!

R.

I believe there is a lapse after you subscribe for all functions to become active.
I'd be very interested to see what you have.:thmbsp:

And yes, what Mingo said, pics would be good.
 
I gifted my father's Teac 4010s to the AK member who's doing the restoration of my Marantz 2325 as a "thank you", and offered him the associated tapes as well. What he doesn't want (any or all), I'll pass along to the AK tape members here. I have to get him a list though, and I'm not quite sure when I'll have the time for that.

I like the thought that my father's old things will continue to be used and enjoyed.

R.
 
Ok-- the tapes (a mix of Scotch 150, Ampex 641 Professional, Ampex 341, Sony Super 150 and a few orphans) are boxed up and sent to the Most Excellent And Stunningly Cool AK member rBuckner as a "thank you" for all his help.

I remembered a neat thing about them today when I was boxing them up-- when we lived in Japan in the early '70's AFN used to re-broadcast a bunch of the old serials from the '30's and '40's (Buck Rogers, X-1, Gunsmoke, Johnny Dollar, The Shadow, etc.), and I remember my father recording a bunch of them. I suspect that they are on those tapes.

Either way, Randy will have fun listening to them, I hope.

R.
 
Last edited:
Congrats on having those reels, Rod.

I was into R2R big time in College and recorded about 40 or so for Playlists and moving my Vinyl to them to save the Vinyl.

Honestly, I did not do a good job of storing them since 1981 and some got mildewed. I was able to remove the dew with Lysol and put my R2R back in service a few years ago and they are still playable, even though some were recorded in 1978.

Lots of guys here are into R2R and some even do a Reel Swap by mailing tapes to each other.
 
Back
Top Bottom