• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Reel to Reel!

dread31

Addicted Member
I am sitting here listening to Pavarotti, Panus Angelicus on my Revox deck and I am absolutely amazed at the quality of sound. Smooth, natural, effortless are the words that come to mind.

To get to the point;
With the astonishing resurgence of Lps in recent years, why hasn't RTR caught on with a similar return? Decks are easy to come by, relatively cheap and not really all that hard to service, if you know what you're doing.

Manufacturers such as RMI, ATR and Quantegy are once again producing blank tape. Could we be on the cusp of a Phoenix like RTR rebirth?:scratch2:

One can only hope!:banana:

Dave
 
Register to hide this ad
Rather expensive for quality and popular factory reel to reels...vinyl is much more reasonable. Plus the fact that the oldest decks are 50 years old and the youngest about 30...

and check out the price and availability of a new Otari deck
 
Two tape makers, RMGI and ATR. One deck maker who make new decks, Otari. No tape duplicators are in production. Pre-Recorded reel tapes would be minimum $120 a tape. Quantegy is not making tape as far as I know.
 
Even if just done as a limited edition or a novelty product (like the recent Cheap Trick 8-track), I'd love to see some new 7", 7.5ips releases. I can't even remotely afford the Tape Project albums.

Kent, Cheap Trick released their new album on 8-track for $30. I'd wager that duplicators, new tape stock, casings, etc. are in far shorter supply for 8-track than 7" reel-to-reel.
 
Cost of ownership, maintenence of decks, fragility of tape...new decks would be astoundingly expensive.

IMHO well done vinyl can almost equal most 7.5ips 1/4tk prerecorded tapes.
 
With the astonishing resurgence of Lps in recent years, why hasn't RTR caught on with a similar return? Decks are easy to come by, relatively cheap and not really all that hard to service, if you know what you're doing.

Probably lots of reasons:

Open reel tapes were never anything more than a niche product to begin with. I would be surprised to find out that tapes ever sold more than 5% of the total copies of LPs, except (maybe) for some classical or jazz titles. So, I guess the base was already there for a huge LP resurgence, just dormant.

Open reel does not, I think, have the "retro" charms of LPs, for those "youngsters" getting into vinyl for the first time. After all, you can't hardly see a movie from the fifties or sixties without some very hip characters playing a record, while open reel, not so much. Last I checked, you can buy TTs and LPs at Urban Outfitters, not open reel...

Expense. Wasn't this always most of the problem, and won't it always be? After all, some two-tracks in the fifties cost what would be now be well over a hundred dollars apiece. To make tapes more affordable, high-speed duplication, the four-track format, and lower speeds were introduced. This reduced quality enough that tape no longer had any significant sonic advantage, if any. Tape is still expensive, just like it always was. I don't see how you could produce and sell a high-quality tape that can be much under $100 for an album today, if at all. Although I hear they are spectacular, Tape Project tapes are $300 each. Even if you assume that tape cost is the only expense, which it is not, a four-track at 7 1/2 ips (cutting the amount of tape needed by 75%) of the same album would still be $75. Hard to compete with 180g vinyl in the $20-30 range...

Moreover, for most, the handling of the tape is more of a hassle than an LP. Of course, if you clean and handle your LPs the way you're supposed to, that's much more involved, but how many do?

Also, new players are hard to come by and very expensive. I think Otari is the only one left, and that player is something like $5000. On the other hand, you can choose from hundreds of brand new turntables, some of which I understand are quite good, many for well under $500. I can certainly understand the reluctance of a casual music-lover to buy a twenty-year-old tape deck that almost certainly needs some work, even if it relatively easy.

Don't get me wrong -- I would love to see some new releases or reissues in a two- or even four-track dolby format (like the Barclay Crockers) that were realistically priced, say in the $30-50 range, but I just don't think its possible. I would also love to see a high-quality new deck in the $500 range, but I don't see that happening either.

I'm just glad to see some growing acknowledgment (even in the audiophile press) of what I believe to be the case: there is no format that has even been commercially produced that sounds better that open reel tape--particularly the 2-tracks released in the fifties and early sixties. Pretty amazing for stuff that's almost sixty years old.

Just my two cents...
 
$30-$50 Barclay-Crocker type tapes aren't viable. Tape alone is over $25. Licensing, mastering, duplicating tapes reasonably well, Still over $100 nowadays. And that's for 1/4 track Stereo. Tape duplicators for open reel haven't been made since the 1970's by Ampex, the dominant maker. 8 track duplicators were made in much higher numbers due to their being a lot more tapes made in that format. And 8 track tapes were made until the late 1980's. The last Barclay-Crocker tapes were expensive for their day.
 
If we consider the constant demand that drives the Beatles (and other "not rare" rock reels) up sky high on auctions I would think that their is also a constant influx of new believers in the format. I am also certain the "shadow" ranks of RTR users way outnumber those who gather on message boards.

Either that or over and over the same people are hoarding all that stuff. lol.
 
I plan on getting a R2R deck sometime fairly soon. Mostly just because they are so darn cool! I love watching turntables and R2R is as interesting, if not more to watch. I know it isn't logical to consider it one of my primary sources for music but picking up the odd old tape from time to time and playing it seems like it would be very fun and interesting. Also with what I hear about their sound quality, I would really enjoy hearing that for myself. It would be really cool to see some new releases on R2R tape.
 
Yeah, but increased demand should drive costs down. I would think if enough people inquired about it, someone would rebuild an old duplicator and roll some tape. Still wouldn't be a format for the mass market, but a niche could be carved out for enthusiasts. Look how much some are paying for high-end turntables and audiophile Lp pressings..........

Dave
 
Back
Top Bottom