• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

REFERENCE SIX

audiomaniac2

Active Member
I have some Infinity reference six speakers that I bought recently. I like the speakers except that they dont reproduce drums and cymbals very well. I wonder if that's the nature of these speakers or if there is a problem with the crossovers or individual speakers. The speakers have new surrounds.
 
Register to hide this ad
Are those the RS6, the three way speakers with the non yellowing polydome and EMIT tweeter from 1982-ish? Those have an 8" woofer that is supposed to reach down around 45Hz.
Or a newer Reference Six?

If they are 1982 era speakers they may be due for a crossover recap. Depending on your age or life experiences, are you able to hear high notes? That EMIT crosses over at 4Khz.
Myself, due to age and exposure to loud noises I can only hear to a little over 8Khz so my EMITs have very little output (relatively) that I can hear.
 
Last edited:
Are those the RS6, the three way speakers with the non yellowing polydome and EMIT tweeter from 1982-ish? Those have an 8" woofer that is supposed to reach down around 45Hz.
Or a newer Reference Six?

If they are 1982 era speakers they may be due for a crossover recap. Depending on your age or life experiences, are you able to hear high notes? That EMIT crosses over at 4Khz.
Myself, due to age and exposure to loud noises I can only hear to a little over 8Khz so my EMITs have very little output (relatively) that I can hear.
No I can hear tight drums and cymbals . I have other speakers. I may have to rebuild the crossovers and try that. Over all there not bad sounding speakers.They are 4 way speakers. These aren't a picture of my speakers, but that's what they look like. If the new caps in the crossovers don't help I was thinking of replacing the second speaker from the top with a dome tweeter.
 

Attachments

  • s-l1600 (1).jpg
    s-l1600 (1).jpg
    42.9 KB · Views: 71
You were correct, they are Reference Six.
Infinity had a habit of reusing names and numbers for different speaker lines, that's why I wondered.
If you Google----> Infinity Reference Six Audiokarma
there are several threads, maybe looking through them might give you some ideas.
It seems they are well liked and worth trying to get them performing as they should.
 
I think that your problem is related to the surrounds on the drivers (individual speakers). On some of the speakers they seem to be completely absent. Please take more pictures and post them (individual drivers).

You need to replace these and then the speaker will perform as designed. Also, stop playing them until the repair is complete, speaker damage can result.
 
+1 on rmeade.

the drivers need to be re-foamed. in essence, the drivers w/ no foam aren't doing anything.
Easiest way to get the plastic trim rings off is w/ hairdryer. heat them up good and hot, the glue will soften, and gently pry them off.
Really great sounding speakers, (got two pair) and easy to drive.

my two cents Stu
 
Reference 6, nice sounding speakers, even though they are not "typical" vintage Infinity, and also sound great in a "smallish" room. I have a pair of these, and can say they do a very nice job reproducing high and low frequencies. I have to agree with goodolpg that they are likely due for a recap. I was a nonbeliever in this until I did this a number of years ago. I have found that if goodolpg says it, you can take it to the bank! As for surrounds, I suspect your surrounds are all good. I noticed the picture you posted is NOT a picture of your speakers, but a stock photo of what Reference 6 looks like. These speakers also require very little to drive them, so no worries on big amp requirements. Good luck, and good listening.
 
Reference 6, nice sounding speakers, even though they are not "typical" vintage Infinity, and also sound great in a "smallish" room. I have a pair of these, and can say they do a very nice job reproducing high and low frequencies. I have to agree with goodolpg that they are likely due for a recap. I was a nonbeliever in this until I did this a number of years ago. I have found that if goodolpg says it, you can take it to the bank! As for surrounds, I suspect your surrounds are all good. I noticed the picture you posted is NOT a picture of your speakers, but a stock photo of what Reference 6 looks like. These speakers also require very little to drive them, so no worries on big amp requirements. Good luck, and good listening.

I was thinking the same, the picture is not the OP's speaker, but given their age they are classic Infinitys IMO. We all know how the classic Infinity foams tend to rot over time. A refoam of all the drivers may or may not be needed.
I think those were made around 1990 so they just miss the cutoff on Klaus' site as I can't find them on there. Since they have EMIT R's I consider them "classic" Infinitys. If they are on there I apologize.
Torfury you give me too much credit!
I've made some mis-statements here, I usually leave them intact especially if there are factual responses showing I'm wrong, helps the following responses make sense (keeps them in context), I learn, and maybe someone else can learn as well.
There are a lot of smart people in this subforum. It is a great resource for Infinity fans and owners.
 
I sold a pair of those last summer, never got to hear them, surrounds were shot. Despite being skilled at replacing surrounds they just never made it off the back burner, so after owning them 5 years I sold them. I do have 4 other sets of infinities though, re foamed all of them and love em.
 
Reference Six are very nice speakers. They were the top of the Reference line and are equipped with IMG (injection molded graphite) woofers and EMIT-R tweeters, the best technology Infinity had at the time. The only complaints this line gets is that their cabinets have slightly less bracing than some other high-end Inifinities and they use a cheap vinyl veneer instead of a nicer real wood veneer. But they still sound great, have plenty of detail and impact, and are relatively easy to drive. They are also quite accurate. I found they produced drum sounds quite well.

My guess is that you have some issue on your hands. First make sure all drivers are working. Then play them on a different amp to make sure it's the speakers causing the issue rather than something else. Then play one speaker at a time and see if they sound the same.
 
I know I'm a bit late to the party but my Reference Six sound pretty dam' fine to me:)
They are mated to a Sansui AU-D11 II and Arcam CD-17. Playing The Tubes 'outside inside' in a medium size living room doesn't leave much to be desired.
Plenty of tight bass and everything else. Hope you got yours fixed audiomaniac and enjoy them:D
 
I know I'm a bit late to the party but my Reference Six sound pretty dam' fine to me:)
They are mated to a Sansui AU-D11 II and Arcam CD-17. Playing The Tubes 'outside inside' in a medium size living room doesn't leave much to be desired.
Plenty of tight bass and everything else. Hope you got yours fixed audiomaniac and enjoy them:D
They have improved quite a bit since I first bought them.I don't know if the surrounds needed to break in or the capacitors in the crossovers needed to reform . I am enjoying them much more now. I'm driving them with a NAD 7175PE .
 
Last edited:
If the speakers have new surrounds, then you posted an old photo. That 2nd speaker from the top is clearly missing it's surround. That's a "mid-range", not a tweeter. Replacing it with a tweeter would be an odd choice.
 
If the speakers have new surrounds, then you posted an old photo. That 2nd speaker from the top is clearly missing it's surround. That's a "mid-range", not a tweeter. Replacing it with a tweeter would be an odd choice.
The picture of the speakers I posted are not the speakers I own. The speakers have new surrounds as I stated in my original post. At some point I will change the caps in the crossovers. Thanks for chiming in.
 
If I remember correctly that’s not an easy task...they glued the crap out of those crossovers...

I restored a set for my brother-in-law...crossover was a circuit board sandwich with glue all around the outside...
 
The picture of the speakers I posted are not the speakers I own. The speakers have new surrounds as I stated in my original post. At some point I will change the caps in the crossovers. Thanks for chiming in.
Don't know how I missed your mention that the photo was not of your speakers. Carry on...
 
If I remember correctly that’s not an easy task...they glued the crap out of those crossovers...

I restored a set for my brother-in-law...crossover was a circuit board sandwich with glue all around the outside...
I noticed they were glue together with what looked liked hot melt glue. Did you notice a difference in sound after changing the caps.
 
I didn’t change them...I was afraid of wrecking the crossover trying to get it apart...so I refoamed woofers and refinished the cabs...

it’s family, he didn’t hire me to restore them, I got them for him, 40th birthday present...
 
Back
Top Bottom