• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Refinish WC or Not?

ChuckNOS

New Member
To maintain the best value, refinishing seems to be advised against for most collectable vintage stuff, whether furniture, guitars, jewelry, etc.

Is this the same outlook for vintage Marantz collectors?

The wood case on my 4400 is in decent shape but certainly not pristine. A few scratches on the top, a couple small nicks on the edges, etc.

Refinish or not?
 
Register to hide this ad
I knew that having the original paint on a vintage car added value, but i never would've guessed that it applied to vintage audio components as well.

Since i recently aquired a WC22 for my 2220B and i also have two TTs a 6300 and a 6350Q, the wood is in good condition on all of them, so i was planning on oiling them to bring out the woodgrain even more, but before i do anything to either of them, i'm going to wait and see what others have to say on the subject.

I wonder if this applys to the electronics as well, after all, a collectors car as more value if it has the original engine, so if we follow the same logic, if a reciever has all it's original parts and they're still within specs it might not be a good idea to change them just in case or for parts that have higher specs.
 
Last edited:
I'm a finish restoration guy and can tell you that "maintaining" and refinishing are two different things. Here is where the rub is:

1. If you have a special antique w/patina, hand oils, minor bumps and imperfections...leave it alone.
2. If you have the same thing with splits, wood gone, a darkened nasty finish...it deserves expert eyes to choose a path.
3. If you have something that has been "re-done" with heavily intrusive approaches...bringing it back to an original look is preferred....only a gain.

Stereo equipment isn't exactly raising it's head as a praise worthy antique yet but if you have a piece that has a few scratches and bumps, don't have the skill to do a resto touch-up, light oiling or using a reversible maintenance product is not going to hurt a dang thing. Calling it good at that point is truly a great thing...and nothing wrong with something showing "it's history".....it's preferable (or will be) in years ahead.
A BIG and valid point is you "own" this stuff....and if you are the type of person that only sees your "ownership phase" as "the important thing" to do what you please (Obviously not you as your doing some conscientious inquiry.) that....is an undeniable right.
I make all efforts to leave what is there intact and professionally touch up with a reversible repair if beat up, do only an oil wipe if it still presents well...even though I could "fix it". (If something is horrid.....frees me up to max out a custom finish and I only say "hell ya!".)

Original/Perfect is highly respected now....in the future it will add HUGE VALUE, and "just original" will still be an important factor to at least upping the value. I went from a restoration focused career to one dealing with collectibles....this pattern rules with everything.

I just love the Marantz cases as a Marantz is not a Marantz without them! Do not refinish and oil only is what I'd do.
 
Last edited:
bd,

Great post. Thanks for your perspective. I am generally inclined keep collectibles in original condition, for better or worse, but I had noticed several posts on this forum and others mentioning refinished wood cases. I wondered if perhaps different rules applied for vintage stereo equipment.

I have every intention of keeping my Marantz for the long haul and so for the time being, the value is in its utility. That being said, I really like the idea that I have something that is special and appreciated by others so that it actually tends to increase in monetary value over time. A bonus and not what I ever expected when I acquired it about 10 years ago.
 
Back
Top Bottom