• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Refinishing Thorens TD126’s nextel finish

mdc701

Active Member
Hello everyone,

I have a Thorens TD126 MK3 with the nextel finish top plates. Is there any way to refurbish/clean this? It has some stains and scratches and i wanted to clean it up. I’m also looking at repainting/refinishing the plates if possible. Any tips would be appreciated. Thanks!
 
Register to hide this ad
My Esoteric CD transports case has that.

Condition is OK, But have seen some nasty ones and am always left with the question.

Is there any way to repaint, Touch-up or clean?

Afraid to try, Stuff is so weird~! Kind of like Crinkle finish.

Buck
 
Unfortunatelly the old Nextel paint was one-component. No way to touch the sticky, gooey mess up, nor to prevent further decay. New Nextel is two-component (Mankiewicz) and should be better, although as of yet it ain't deeecades old, so no long-term data about degrading...probably not.

What you can do to get rid of stickiness...temporarely:
- soap water and a bath/kitchen sponge wil remove the top layer...it won't restore the suede finish, though (it's long gone anyway). Did that with my Revox gear.
- folks also reported good results with slamming Nextel-coated parts into a dishwasher...and not tiny stuff either... I'm talking Revox B77 R2R cabinets among others!

If you want the original look and feel, you gotta go Nextel. Getting the minimum quantity (1 liter, if I recollect) of primer, thinner, paint and hardener is rather expensive for just one piece as it is enough for several square meters.

For stripping Nextel off plastic parts ethanol (I believe) was reported - a bloody mess, but apparently doable. For metal parts I would try some stronger/different solvents...like acetone, for example. DOT3 brake fluid also yields good results.

There are resprayers...old Revox B700 series...in Europe....expensive - example.

Don't know where you are located, but you might ask at car shops which offer custom paint jobs. Or you can give it a shot yourself.

Good luck.
 
Last edited:
I’m thinking of just getting a replacement top plate for my MK III. I saw one selling for parts, is it safe to assume that the spindle/well size for all MK IIIs are the same?
 
Back
Top Bottom