• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Refoaming AR-18's questions

Jimesis

huh?
I'm refoaming a pair of AR-18's and after cutting away the center dust cap to shim the voice coil I find another cap of sorts covering the voice coil. Never seen this before. Any ideas how to access the voice coil to shim?

Thanks
-Jim
 
Register to hide this ad
I managed to refoam a pair of 15” woofers and not need to shim the VC, instructions from simplyspeakers.com worked out fine a bit messy getting the old foam off but usings some 90% alcohol and a small and sharp xacto or olfa knife did the trick
 
I’ve replaced tons of surrounds and never once shimmed the VC - with no problems (ever). You just need to test for any VC rub before the adhesive solidifies on your new surrounds and make adjustments as necessary. Shimming is fine, and absolutely the most accurate method, but I just hate having to remove the dust cap, especially if it hasn’t already been dented in (which is all too often the case).
 
Back
Top Bottom